Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going up to Orkney mid August and thought I'd take a slow ride down the west coast - Lochinver, Applecross, Skye, Ardnamurchan, Crinnan, etc. etc. :D I'll be camping on sites and wild where possible :wink:

Can anybody recommend any effective McMidge repellent or am I just gonna get chewed up as normal? :( Jungle Formula just doesn't work up there. I know all life has a purpose but McMidges are really just evil aren't they.

If anybody sees a white,red & blue AT give me a wave or stop for a chat :wink:

I'll post some photo's when I get back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Avon's 'Skin So Soft' is supposed to be Marine standard issue and the D's B's ...

We are near Loch Ness and in Glen Affrich the little buggers are pretty mean !

Personally I use Jungle Formula and it works pretty well - keeps most midges off as well as the flies that have a mean bite too sometimes.

As well as putting cream/whatever on open skin, it is also a good idea to use spray on areas like hat bands where sweat builds up - the flies just gang up around your head otherwise.

I have also heard of a natural remedy developed on one of the western isles that you might be able to find - it is suposed to be very good and they apparently export all over the place.

Try using citrus smelly candles around the camp site - sometimes wil keep the numbers down a little.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kelvin. It seems as though some people are more susceptible to midge bites than others - unfortunately I'm in the former category. I have heard of some DEET based product (probably carcinogenic) that you spray mosquito nets with - I'm thinking of treating my tent inner with it. I love the countryside and hiking up on the west coast but the midges always make it a misery. Still, I'm looking forward to going and will stock up with the products you mention - anyone got any jumbo sized panniers for sale!

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
No problem.

Don't forget that most of these products only last a few hours and have to be re-applied - make sure you have your specs with you and read the instructions.

Have a good time, I have not been over there yet but plan to do so at some time.

I must follow up some of the leads on the forum for seat improvements - much more than an hour on mine and my sorry old arse is in a bad way !

I have an Air Hawk cushion but it only puts the pain off for a short while. Might see if a Varadero seat can be forced onto it ...

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone else whom appears to be especially attractive to McMidges (we should be flattered :!: ) here's a link to what I think is the natural midge repellent Kelvin alerted me to...it's called Eureka!

http://www.bitefree.co.uk/index.html

Don't know if it works, but I'll let you know when I get back, but I'm also going to soak my inner tent in Permethrin - the stuff the coat Mosquito nets in. Hope it all works :?

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kelvin Allen said:
I must follow up some of the leads on the forum for seat improvements - much more than an hour on mine and my sorry old arse is in a bad way !
That's why I'm planning a slow ride down the coast. If my midge preparations have no effect it may be a lot faster and I'll be shopping for a pile cushion :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
midge bites

Eating Marmite sandwiches throughout your trip should repel midges. Its the vitamin B1 which gives off an odour through skin pores (which humans cant smell) that does the trick. Sounds bizarre but it works.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard the Marmite one before but never tried it. It had me puzzled as I've also heard that you're supposed to avoid drinking beer, because of the yeast, similarly leeching through the pores in your skin - but perhaps this is just some puritanical teetotallers sick joke. :roll:

The Vitamin B1 theory sounds good to me and as I have no trouble eating Marmite I'll take a jumbo 1 kg jar with me!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Go to Milletts and get a bottle of misquito repellent ...

Last christmas going to the Carabean, I bought a bottle of 100% DEET . works perfectly

or pop to boots and get a few of the "Autarn" products (spray , rollon etc)

·
Registered
552 Posts
TryREPEL 100 Insect Repellent. It is 100% Deet, and it works. I wont be without it.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Re: midge bites

stuby said:
Eating Marmite sandwiches throughout your trip should repel midges.
Yes and any ladies you might want to slip the tongue :shock: I brought some stuff back from South-Africa called Tabard.
It sure works for the mozzies in Africa and would be interested to find out if it works on the Midges. If I post the tube to you Jim could you try it out and send it back if it does work. :D

Here is some details about the product...

Link

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Maverick said:
If I post the tube to you Jim could you try it out and send it back if it does work. :D
You mean be a human Guinea Pig Maverick, with Scottish midges!!! :shock: OK, in the name of science I'll give it a try. I'll PM you my address.

So far on the list anti-midge list is...

Permethrin :twisted:
DEET :twisted::twisted:
Marmite 8)
Avon 'Skin so Soft' Shower Gel and Body Oil :shock:
Autan
Jungle Formula
Eureka! :wink:
and...
...Tabard

If the midges don't get me the hideous cocktail of potions and chemical probably will!

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts

xrv_jim said:
You mean be a human Guinea Pig Maverick, with Scottish midges!!! :shock: OK, in the name of science I'll give it a try. I'll PM you my address.
If it is of any help I have been smeared with this stuff since a child and nothing wrong with me nothing wrong with me nothing wrong with me honestly... :D Will pop it in the post and if any good can bring back a few tubes November when we back in SA for a holiday. Fairly cheap and effective when it comes to mozzies!

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Maverick said:
xrv_jim said:
If it is of any help I have been smeared with this stuff since a child and nothing wrong with me nothing wrong with me nothing wrong with me honestly... :D Will pop it in the post and if any good can bring back a few tubes November when we back in SA for a holiday. Fairly cheap and effective when it comes to mozzies!
Ah yes Maverick, but what happens when you mix it with other products, like Marmite :shock: will the Marmite still spread nicely on toast I wonder :?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We used the Tabard on penguins in the sea-bird rehabilitation centre
where I used to work. It did the trick on them too. LOL !!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have found that if you go with a friend who is more susceptible to being bitten than you, the mossies and midges will head for the tastier person! Not nice on them, but 3 weeks away, and only bitten twice while they were bitten to buggery, has proven results.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spangle said:
I have found that if you go with a friend who is more susceptible to being bitten than you, the mossies and midges will head for the tastier person! Not nice on them, but 3 weeks away, and only bitten twice while they were bitten to buggery, has proven results.
Great strategy. I like it :twisted:...but I haven't found anyone who gets bitten more than I do. Perhaps I married unwisely :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts