Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been a long time since I've posted still riding the dominator but I need to find a mechanic capable of overhauling the carburetor new jets seals etc... fuel economy is not so good at the moment and it's started to smoke so needs new valve stem seals and a service I've lost the use of a garage and need to get the bike ready to take me to Spain... I live in weston super mare somerset...close..ish to bristol anyone recommend me a good man that will do the work so I can rely on the beast to make the trip???

tried a few local mechanics that I wouldn't let near my push bike after bad experiences and costly bills... I used to do most jobs myself but moving and emigrating to Spain and never got to do all the jobs in the to do list

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi Rex.
I'm a senior Technician for BMW and I also run my own company called Moto Revive. I'm also a massive Honda fan. I restore and rebuild Dommie's, XRs, Africa Twins and Transalps all day long..

I'm on The Wirral, but If you can send me your carb in the post I can strip, clean and rebuild it to your specification.

Quite a few forum members have done this. No complaints yet !!

I even have quite a few people who send me their complete bikes to do. With the bigger jobs, even with the couriers fees I end up much cheaper and I know these bikes inside out !!

I know what you mean about lack of good technicians. All the younger guys in the dealer's that I work in are trained to replace, rather than repair... Its sad.

And with the newer bikes, that's often all you can do.. A dying art perhaps.

I'm old school :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hi Rex.
I'm a senior Technician for BMW.
A dying art perhaps.

I'm old school:clown::clown::clown:
Motorbike mechanics are an endangered species.:(:(:(
My half Scouse/Danish son is in his second year as a bike mechanic here in Denmark.
What started as a class of 10 students is now just down to just my son because all the others bailed or couldnt hack it.
He has just spent a month on a work experience project where he worked mostly on his own two bikes but did some work for the shop owner..
I went over to the shop to have a butchers and a chat with the owner and he told me that most kids today that he gets sent to his shop can make a moped go faster and thats all they want to know.
He told me he would hire my son in a heartbeat...
My son has had two bike shops contact his school looking for mechanics because they are becoming a dying breed..
When my son is finished with his education , he wants to join the military so he can work on the big toys..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Hopefully he will have a workshop of his own one day...
It is becoming a dying art Mototed but luckily my son loves his bikes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
When i left school i started taking night classes in college to learn motorcycle mechanics but gave it up to earn money through different careers. I only know one guy that i'd trust with my bikes and he should have retired years ago, even though i trust him i have never used him as i work on my own bikes. In a way i'm glad i gave up motorcycle mechanics because if i had to work on bikes for a living i don't think i would enjoy them as much as i do now. The guy is called Dick jones and his workshop is in Cardiff.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Motorcycle mechanics is something I should have kepy as a hobby. The money is crap because its so seasonal.

And Fred makes a very good point. When you work on them all day, you're far less inclined to want to jump on one at the weekend.

And my biggest problem is that I just can't bare to ride anything with a knock, rattle, misfire or mis-alignment without having to strip the whole thing down to fix it. All of my bikes spend 95% of their life bring serviced and fettled with even though 99.9% would judge them as perfect. :/

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sent you message on Facebook ted... maybe worth courier the bike to a man who knows what he is doing then going local and having breakdown and repair bills abroad... xrv again to the rescue

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
And Fred makes a very good point. When you work on them all day, you're far less inclined to want to jump on one at the weekend
When I worked as a courier out of Wimbledon before I defected to Viking land ,the last thing I wanted to do at the weekends was service my bike coz after an 80 hour week in all weathers I couldnt bear looking at my bike let alone ride it.
I have explained Freds excellent point to my lad and his only gripe is that having two bikes is a drain on his students grant he gets every month from the Danish state and his savings are dwindling especially now he has to pay for a new CDI for his DT125 which is very expensive........(€300):toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well at the moment to say it's complicated is an understatement... I'm moving the Mrs into her mums house in the UK she is staying for 2 years while our daughter finishes college so I've given away most of my stuff or sold it to fund me leaving to go to Spain to try starting a new life for us I'll be leaving with whatever I can carry on the Dominator basically... don't have a garage to do the jobs needed to make sure I make it without breaking down and it costing me a fortune in fuel and I've run out if time now I'll be sleeping on the mother in laws sofa for a while to make sure I can work a few weeks more until my contract runs out hopefully by then the bike is ready or I may be leaving it behind but that's a reality I can't deal with... no Mrs for 2 years and no Motorbike... can a man survive without 1 of the 2 things... at least the Mrs can visit me, so fingers crossed I hope Teds the Man only time will tell but I'd like to share the adventure on 2 wheels with you guys

·
Registered
50 Posts
When i left school i started taking night classes in college to learn motorcycle mechanics but gave it up to earn money through different careers. I only know one guy that i'd trust with my bikes and he should have retired years ago, even though i trust him i have never used him as i work on my own bikes. In a way i'm glad i gave up motorcycle mechanics because if i had to work on bikes for a living i don't think i would enjoy them as much as i do now. The guy is called Dick jones and his workshop is in Cardiff.
Blimey Is he still at it?, now that's what I call staying power.

Remember him rain or shine on his way to the workshop on his Blue Suzuki B120.......always assumed he had some mad collection of super bikes hidden away somewhere, but never saw him sat on anything but the old suzuki, in a grubby old boiler suit.
Whenever I came across something that was being a bugger to fix, I would turn to Dick....man's a legend

1 - 10 of 10 Posts