Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this weeks MCN ( centre pages ) follow a 6500 mile Mediterranean adventure on two new Transalps :thumbleft:
Ian.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Now they just need to improve the styling and leave the mechanics alone.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i thought they were riding to damascus and back or was that someone else?

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I think that was Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour:D

I don't want to offend anyone, but it's amazing how many guys who ride "performance bikes" have never done a decent journey. In the article, the longest he'd ridden was 80 miles; I've got a friend like that.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I'm struck by just how uninterested he is in the bike he's riding. He mentions a few times that the tank is small and that his arse hurts, but Honda would be justified to be a bit peeved that there's no comment at all that the bike does everything he asks of it. There's a veiled suggestion that one reason they took Transalps is because they'll run on sub-standard petrol, but that's it! :mad:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I've only had my Transalp for a month and it is superb.
I've thought about one in the past, but kept hearing criticism about its power.
Yes, it is down on power compared to performance bikes, but how often do you get to travel at over 100 MPH.
Admittedly, if more of my riding was done two up with full luggage, then a bit more oomph might be nice.
I covered 30,000 miles on my 850GS. So I have to change down more on the Trannie, but its handling.... It's soooooooooooooo flickable:D
It's like having a Dominator again with touring clothes. It is brilliant:thumbright:
I've ridden for years, my very first bike being a Yamaha DT100. Since then, a large range of bikes.
I generally prefer the traillie riding position and I know my way quite comfortably around a chain bike.
I enjoyed my GS and my previous airheads, but without a garage, feel more comfortable working on the Trannie.
Lots of people abroad highly rate the Transalp and I add my recommendation.
It's a bike for riding, not sitting around talking about your blacked out Arai and knee sliders.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes - a crap report in general, but then the guy does not appear to have any empathy with biking in general, and to be frank, North Africa would not be high up on my list of biking destinations of the Med. I too remember the Alps on an Alp - the 17 km St Gotthard tunnel in particular where you really really do not not want to breakdown, and the Susten pass (30 ft drifts each side of the road) are particular memories.

Agree with Windmill John about the bike, and must try harder to get abroad once more. The heady, blossom-scented French autoroutes, riding in 80 degrees, supping cool beer in some enchanting village with the smell of freshly baked bread wafting around the nostrils, the magnificent mountains and roads of the Bernese oberland, the crystal clear lakes, the sublime spendour of an Alpine meadow, the chink of a wine glass and politely hushed conversations overlooking the piazza and Lake Maggiore in Ascona, the aroma of a fine cigar........aaahhhhhhhhh!

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
The heady, blossom-scented French autoroutes, riding in 80 degrees, supping cool beer in some enchanting village with the smell of freshly baked bread wafting around the nostrils, the magnificent mountains and roads of the Bernese oberland, the crystal clear lakes, the sublime spendour of an Alpine meadow, the chink of a wine glass and politely hushed conversations overlooking the piazza and Lake Maggiore in Ascona, the aroma of a fine cigar........aaahhhhhhhhh!
It's Monday morning, cloudy, chilly, and they're drilling next door... :(

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Re getting abroad and Oggy's comments, I'm lucky being only 1.5 hours from the channel tunnel; it makes popping over a pleasure.
I've never been to Scotland, probably because France, Belgium, Germany, Austria are all closer.
Hats off to the guys in Scotland, we do get more riding weather down here.
I imagine if the weather is good, riding through the highlands must be superb.
BTW I was an all weather rider until last year when I came off on ice in January; not too expensive a repair, but now will stick to rain and sunny days only; the white stuff is for my car...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I too ride in all weathers except the Snow.
The report seems similar to the bike journalists who like point and squirt, pocket rockets, the Transalp did not push their buttons, it just got on with the job at hand and did it without a fuss.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Riding in the Highlands can indeed be stunningly good. Excellent, well-made roads - thanks General Wade - magnificent scenery and relatively little traffic. Of course, the weather can be a little moist and the temperature somewhat, ahem, fresher than South of the Border, but on a fine Summer's day, difficult to beat - in the UK at least.

Still keen to return to the Alps though, but geography is a bit of a bummer nowadays. 2 days just to get to the Chunnel - and ferries from the North are extortionate.

I used to DR in London and commuted to and from University in all weathers, but unless caught out, no longer in snow/rain or cold - the misery of doing so now unfortunately cancels out the delights of riding. A bit of been there and done that syndrome. That said, excellent ride out to Braemar 3 weeks ago - in the sunshine..

Agree with Stumpy about journos and magazines in general. TA is just too competent and bling free to attract the attention of such fashionistas. Of course, the TA will live on, whilst the latest retro rocket will die next month - when the latest one comes along...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts