Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of putting an 18 inch rim on the spare wheel I have so that I can fit a MEFO Super Explorer - I like the old harder compound K60s that have migrated to the MEFO

The front is now a problem as they Heidenau don't list the old style hard front K60 - will have to wait and see what transpires - if MEFO would do the old K60 fronts it's a no brainer for me

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Very nice Bob,cheers. I am looking at the mo for a new front tyre as apparently my completely worn front road tyre is not the best choice for offroading :toothy10:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Very nice Bob,cheers. I am looking at the mo for a new front tyre as apparently my completely worn front road tyre is not the best choice for offroading :toothy10:
That's not worn out Pete - there's loads of tread on it

·
Registered
10,746 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of putting an 18 inch rim on the spare wheel I have so that I can fit a MEFO Super Explorer - I like the old harder compound K60s that have migrated to the MEFO

The front is now a problem as they Heidenau don't list the old style hard front K60 - will have to wait and see what transpires - if MEFO would do the old K60 fronts it's a no brainer for me
I noticed the Mitas E07 look very simular to the K60 dont know what their like though

Mitas E-07 Dual Sport Front Tyre

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I noticed the Mitas E07 look very simular to the K60 dont know what their like though

Mitas E-07 Dual Sport Front Tyre
Thanks XR Mad - Hudders and DC had / have these - there seems to be a bit more tread on these compared to the old K60

I have Mits E-10s on the RD04 and these felt great so might try these out on the 07a too

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 7,800 miles on the Mefo Super Explorer on my 950 now. Must change it this week though as it was quite 'exciting' on the trails today :-D

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Love the MEFO Super Explorer - I'm running exactly the same rear as you Bob on my Africa Twin (and before anyone comments - yes I am running an 18" rear :D )

Bought mine from Zen Overland - superb tyre - will be replacing it with the same again once this one's dead.

Originally used to run a TKC on the rear, but the wear rate was becoming comical - now I prefer the MEFO anyway :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have 7,800 miles on the Mefo Super Explorer on my 950 now. Must change it this week though as it was quite 'exciting' on the trails today :-D
Thats impresive mileage from them Bob and nice to see your out and about:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
They don't list the super explorer in a transalp frontwheel size. Anyone tried the sport explorer? £48 for front sounds cool to me :toothy10:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as I know Pete Super Explorers are rear-only, most of the Yanks run an Explorer front with them. Like you say, £48 is cheap enough :thumb:

They don't list the super explorer in a transalp frontwheel size. Anyone tried the sport explorer? £48 for front sounds cool to me :toothy10:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've just noticed a nasty cut in the rear of my Conti Escape on my 07a but it still has about 4mm of tread. Whilst happy with them and a view to do the Elephant next winter I'm toying with a Mefo Explorer on the rear but what would you marry it with up front. I hasten to add most of my miles are road with a little light gravel / fire trap trails.

·
Eat less ride faster
147 Posts
I've just noticed a nasty cut in the rear of my Conti Escape on my 07a but it still has about 4mm of tread. Whilst happy with them and a view to do the Elephant next winter I'm toying with a Mefo Explorer on the rear but what would you marry it with up front. I hasten to add most of my miles are road with a little light gravel / fire trap trails.
tkc on the front is good apparently

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
does the cut look anything like this mr pan someone else on here had a similar cut and the tyre i replaced this with looks like its going the same way

Reactions: Stuart D

·
Registered
497 Posts
does the cut look anything like this mr pan someone else on here had a similar cut and the tyre i replaced this with looks like its going the same way

It's very funny if not spooky that my damage is very similar to yours @ split rear tyre 003.jpg

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
It's a manufacturing defect, the tread is layer on top of the semi completed tyre, the tread itself is on a big roll and is cut by a vibrating/oscillating blade, this cut is made at an angle. The problem with this is that the two ends of the tread haven't cured together properly. I had exactly the same on my Heidenau K60but didn't bother sending it back as it was nearly time for chucking, just keep an eye on it, it may never get any worse (but it may explode and have you end up on your arse so you really do need to keep an eye on it)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I just checked the tyre on the bike and it looks like i've worn it below the split depth the one in the photo will be going back on the bike but as bolty said i shall be keeping an eye on it:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts