Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used memory map 50k on the iPhone for off road,

I have the app on my phone but only gives you base map of uk, it says for £24.99 I can get 50k land ranger which gives you over 30 times the size of the Lake District, over 70,000sqkm.
I would of course still have a map and not depend on the phone, simply use it as a quick guide so as not having to stop and check all the time, I tried it today in the truck on Salisbury Plain with data turned off and it track ok.

I'm just not sure as I have a Garmin gps map 60cx which I use to track and check grids on the map ect but no maps installed, but as I'm a tech biff I was just wondering peoples opinion on it and best options.

Bazz

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Bazza put the maps on you phone to look at and plan whilst having a poo. Dont rely on the phone to go out in the sticks. We have had many a walker and mountain biker do the same, and when the phone goes flat or hit by a rock your buggered.

Some of the guys use memory map and just print out the section their going in and laminate it for durability.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Some of the guys use memory map and just print out the section their going in and laminate it for durability.
+1 plan and paper :)

even with the Garmin V I have a map printed out from Gooogggllole watsit and stuff.

I have all the os maps on my chinese SAT nav.. but still prefere paper as a back up or to follow Steve T :thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't get me wrong I would never go out without maps especially as a Mountain Leader I full understand that, it would be used as a quick guide while moving, I still use road maps as I don't trust GPS's when in the trucks.
I was just wondering on the quality and speed.

Bazz

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
See your point bazza, back-up :)

I tried using my IPhone with a full satnav soft ware app, but as it was in the hard case for mounting to the bike it tended to get hot and shutdown every now and then.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a case which has been fine over the last year as I use it as a sat nav as well, I might give it a go on the base map on Sunday on the plain if I get out of this flood relief tomorrow and see what it is like, thanks Ray

Bazz

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have used the i phone 3 with memory map on it for the last 3 years its a great tool you do have to have memory map on the PC to get the best out of it and a power supply on the bike otherwise the battery is dead in no time once you get used to it paper maps will become redundant. The I phone i use has an inactive sim card in it it uses the gps system so no need for sim so my new i phone also has memory map on it as backup

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I have used the i phone 3 with memory map on it for the last 3 years its a great tool you do have to have memory map on the PC to get the best out of it and a power supply on the bike otherwise the battery is dead in no time once you get used to it paper maps will become redundant. The I phone i use has an inactive sim card in it it uses the gps system so no need for sim so my new i phone also has memory map on it as backup

Interesting , the iPhone that gets warm is the 4

I have my old sim less 3 tell me more :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Interesting , the iPhone that gets warm is the 4

I have my old sim less 3 tell me more :)
Sorry raymo after posting that went out to see an ACDC tribute band anything you want to know i will try to help you with just ask :thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using the 4s but Iv never had an overheating problem, I have power now on the KTM and it normally lasts 5-6 hous ok on my weekend rides home while using co pilot on it and Bluetooth to my helmet.
I'll give it a go when I leave sand bag duties in churtsey, wish I had the bike here.

Bazz

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I used memory map on mine to navigate road and trail from near cardiff to conwy last weekend that was 11 and half hours continuous use inside a waterproof case it does get warm but no overheat problems

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I used memory map on mine to navigate road and trail from near cardiff to conwy last weekend that was 11 and half hours continuous use inside a waterproof case it does get warm but no overheat problems
I can confirm this is true as he led me astray for over 12 hours :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you out on the big ones Bob I'm not far away now if you have space for one more

Bazz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts