Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody told me to be sure to remove the top-case when going to a heavy off road ride. Well, I know it already, but when the adrenalin goes high, some small things are normal to be forgotten. On Saturday, I forgot to remove the top-case, and we went to a nice 200km off road ride...
Epilogue: Broken plastic plate, so I almost lost my Givi Maxia. Rubber belts was my best friend in that case, so the Maxia successfully returned home.

I decided not to repair the original plastic plate, and to make a new metal one with my friend. As I already have side case carriers, we removed the elements for hanging the case from one side and used them in building the new top-case plate. I put on the side cases max 2 times a year, but the top-case is almost all the time installed.
The new plate was imagined to have two metal radius made from bent pipes, welded together with metal stripes that will be used to secure the plate to the bike.

First, the pipe was cut on several places and welded on the cuttings, as there was no possibility to bend the pipes by heating. We started from the outer radius:

After that, the lower bar was welded :

Later, the cuttings that was used for bendig got welded too:

Then, we did the inner radius:

All weldings god nicely honed and cleaned:

And, a test, to see how will it fit on the bike:

The result was promising, but a lot of work yet have to be done. Next step was to weld the metal stripes that will be used for securing the plate to the bike, and mounting the Givi Monokey lock elements.

Exact holes position was transfered from the side carrier using special computer alignment technology and tools :)

A little final rasp work:

And, at the end, painting and drying:

The moment to mont the new plate on the bike, has finally came:

Finished and mounted plate looks like this:

The final result is beyond my most optimistic expectations! The plate have exactly the same functionality as the old plastic one. Even more, the plate looks nice, and the top-case few millimeters back and forth movement that was present with the plastic plate has gone!

The only drawback that I can find is a little more weight, since everything is done out of metal, but the capacity and durability is more than significantly better.

My wife is very happy, as she again have her backrest :)

I hope you like my new top-case plate :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Thanks for taking the trouble to record your work and share on the forum. Very interresting.
Not just a repair, an improvement.

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Nice work. :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Nice - you could add to that. Elesewhere there was a discussion about adding a slideout drawer under the plate..to put your tea and cooking stuff on when brewing up. Simply just a 5mm drawer holding an expandable/flip opening metal tray.

Only downside to this metal bracket is if you ride offroad with the TopBox again and come off again...the topbox will break instead of the plate...somethings gotta give.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Great work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm happy that you like my work :)

@Farky
I don't think I will forget again to remove the top-case when going offroad :)
This time, I was late and everybody was waiting for me for half an hour. When I arrived, the last thing in my mind was the topcase...ehh :sign6: but never again :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts