Honda XRV Forum banner
5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  cabbage2404 
#1 ·
Beautiful day out in Mid Wales yesterday, we got more than our fair share of sunshine, dry trails, empty mountain roads and it was great craic.

We had some really beautiful views over Llyn Brianne and found no tourist traffic, just loads of cyclists out on the mountain roads. It's been dry for over a week so the Strata Florida was pretty straightforward and the Claerwen road was dusty dry.

Cabbage, Philw and Watts showed us how it's done, Dysan made it look easy on his TA and there was a sterling off-tarmac performance from Mikek3xl on his big varadero, unfortunately he didn't fit crash bars before the ride :( - it looked like hard work on the big beast. Dr Zook made it pretty easy for me with a few wee wobbles but there was no catching Watts on the Caerwen road.

Here are a some photos and a short but noisy vid.

YouTube - midwalesdualsport.mpg

Mucho gracias to all for a cracking day out.

Now lets see some more photos. Or are you all out riding instead of sitting in front of your computers :cool: Off to wash me bike now...

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful day out in Mid Wales yesterday, we got more than our fair share of sunshine, dry trails, empty mountain roads and it was great craic.

Now lets see some more photos. Or are you all out riding instead of sitting in front of your computers :cool: Off to wash me bike now...
Nice!

#5 ·
Great day out, what more could you ask for superb scenery and beautiful weather with a cracking bunch. Well done Mike for giving it a go but it was living proof the Vara can do trail riding about as good as a Goldwing. Poor Mike was knackered. We did bump into a couple of fellas one on a Dommi who looked like he was struggling until he saw the Vara mind:D With the days temperature it was almost like being up in the Pyrenees last year:blob5: Nice to meet Dysan and good effort. Great to catch up with Tendays and Mike again. Mike get that XR sorted an you can come on a Wattsy special:toothy7: Had a great road blat back with big Gareth but he was dropping back by the time we reached Merthyr i fancy he was suffering with lack of food:D The XR once again performed faultlessly .
The pics

Phew!!

#7 ·
Crackin pics and video folks, that's great tracks you have to ride down there! Not much of that up here in Scotland, I don't think there are any right of ways left up here. :(

In defence of the Varadero, I think the guy did very well, as he's not kitted out in full MX gear I take it he's just giving it a go, well good on ya mate! Horses for courses, the Mighty Varadero CAN manage tracks but excels in long distance touring. I look apon the Vara as the Range Rover of bikes! It's not a Defender, but I'd rather the Range rover to go touring Europe!

Great to see the bikes doing what they were made for, hats off to all of you. :thumbup:

#8 ·
Well done chaps and hats off to the chap on the Vara :thumbup:. That's a mighty big beastie on which to be tackling such terrain Cracking good job :cool:.

#10 ·
Superb pics, gives a real flavour.
Care to share a little more detail around the location, or can I PM someone if it's a best kept secret;)

#13 ·
A superb day out, big thanks to Tendays and Dysan for making the effort to travel down, Mike did outstandingly well on his Varadero on the Strata Florida section, rather you than me buddy :thumbup:.

And as usual it was a pleasure to ride with PhilW and the new slimline Watts :D.

Anyhoo, some pics

To all those who made it, thanks for coming :hello1:
To all those who could'nt make it, there's always next time :3some:
To all those who could'nt be arsed, your loss :la:

#15 ·
Cracking photos there, looked awesome.

Having just tried a lane on the XR i now have some idea of the difference between that and a big trailie, big up for Mike doing that on the Vara, it must have been really hard going.

Looked a good day out that.

#18 ·
I'd just like to say I had a great day and it was well worth the trip down to explore. Many thanks to Cabbage, Philw and Watts for showing us the routes and using their knowledge to organise themselves to get in front for some cool action shots. :cool:

Nice to meet you all and hopefully tendays and I will get down there for a weekend's worth of lanes before too long.

Here's some of my shots from the day. Not great quality from the iphone but never mind.

#19 ·
Dysan, is that you on the black TA? it looks to be sat very low, especially at the front, is it dropped intentionally or is it just my eyes going funny?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.