Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly, my hoped for ride partner was sidelined this morning with a chest problem, so I had a later start than intended, and went off to Wales, to see if it was still there and to do a few roads I have not been on for many years...!

I kicked off from Telford with a run down the A5 to Shrewsbury, and then took the A488 down through Bishops Castle, Clun and into Knighton, as ever, this road was a joy with little traffic and some great bends and dips. A few tractors about, but soon gone from the mirrors. happily not too much loose gravel this time..... eeeek!

I was still wondering where to go, but took the road out to Crossgates and when I got there, headed on down to Builth Wells. Llandod was busy with something, so I fuelled, grabbed a butty and headed on down to Llanwytrd Wells as I had decided I wanted to revisit the road out on some of the route that I used when I helped marshal on the Man versus Horse endurance events. Took a right in LW and headed out on the Abergwesyn road. As ever, a super single track road running up a steep sided valley with a river running along the road that is almost Alpine in feel.

A few miles up, I stopped at the "Washpool", where they used to wash sheep in the years before sheep dips! I ate my butty and watched a couple of aged Collies splashing around in the water, and with the temp in the low 20s, I felt like joining them! :) However, the water was low and the lack of grass on the hills showed just how dry it has been in Wales over the past 6-7 weeks. I also remember popping up to the washpool before it was all prettified, to wash the trail bikes when we were riding in the area too... such sinners!

Heading off up the road, I took the Tregaron turn and headed across Abergwesyn Common towards the reason for the route, the "Devils Staircase".
Two views of the valley, VERY dry and I would be worried about fires before too long...

The common was donated to the National Trust as a memorial to all who have died for us in battle. A pretty good memorial. This is a super bit of road, very narrow and steep drops off the edge, down to the little bridges that cross the river and in wet times, the water goes OVER the bridges. Then the Staircase, a 25% climb with several serious hairpins, up over the top, a few little excursions off road, both forestry and dirt (sorry the pics did not come out) and then a steep descent with less hairpins, but still testing, again with a wee off road blip on a "shortcut" downhill route :) Must be an absolute bugger of a hill on a pushbike, I remember it was used in the Round Britain cycle races in years gone by too!

As time was limited, I then headed over the hill to Tregaron, again, some great quiet single track roads, few grockles and farmers so all the better for playing.
Some of the switchbacks..

After I got to Tregaron, I pondered which route, and in the end decided to go over Tregaron Bog towards Devils Bridge, but I then turned off onto the Rhayader mountain road at Hafod, for old times sake! A couple of miles after Cwmwystwyth, there is the campsite and on the right handed bend as you leave the valley to head onto the Mountain Rd, there is a UCR that cuts across to Llangurig. "Why not", thought I! The centre is pretty easy going with a foot or so of tarmac ribbon, but with several washouts still there, but a lot better than I have known it. Met a very knackered cyclist who I thought was having a problem, but it was just the hills!!! This was a super little diversion, even if I took the easy route back to the main Aber to Llanidloes road. The proper route is more of a challenge and too much one up on a Transalp!!
Second big climb on the UCR.

Then it was back on to the main drag and down to Newtown, where I took the Craven Arms road before heading NE again back towards Shrewsbury, then home and a beer.

300km covered and a sore arse. A bostin' day out

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Crackin' Grommit !! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Nice report SteveR :thumbright:
Is this the one that starts at Blaenycwm

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice report SteveR :thumbright:
Is this the one that starts at Blaenycwm
Yes, I am sure that the top end near Llangurig was not as good as it was today a few years back*, I think the CC must have chucked a bit of tarmac about. :) I can remember my old man talking about the Rhayader Mountain Road in the early 60s and it was much like this one is!

*A lot of years really.... Must be 15 yrs since I rode that one!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crackin' Grommit !! :thumbup:
Yep, reminded me why I have a bike that will tour at 80MPH on an Autobahn fully laden, and then go up a Welsh mountain :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Steve next time you do that run be sure to get in touch would love to do that run with you looks fantastic :thumbright:

Great pics and write up cheers Frad :thumbleft::thumbleft::D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve next time you do that run be sure to get in touch would love to do that run with you looks fantastic :thumbright:

Great pics and write up cheers Frad :thumbleft::thumbleft::D
Anytime Rob....

Just drop me a line if you have a free day and the sun is going to shine!! One of the benefits of being self employed :) And the real pleasure, is that if you did it in reverse, it is like a new route. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Anytime Rob....

Just drop me a line if you have a free day and the sun is going to shine!! One of the benefits of being self employed :) And the real pleasure, is that if you did it in reverse, it is like a new route. :thumbup:

Will do Steve :thumbright:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great ride report Steve ..

I like this picture the best ...

Have a nice weekend :thumbright::thumbright:
It really needed the "action shot" of me crossing the river, but I thought the old couple might object and not use my camera... :)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yes, I am sure that the top end near Llangurig was not as good as it was today a few years back*, I think the CC must have chucked a bit of tarmac about. :) I can remember my old man talking about the Rhayader Mountain Road in the early 60s and it was much like this one is!

*A lot of years really.... Must be 15 yrs since I rode that one!
Cheers Steve been looking at that on the map and wondered if it was a AT or XR road:thumbleft: Would you mind if i put a photo on of the devils staircase from the other end i took back last year it realy is a fantastic place rode through there today on my AT:thumbleft:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Steve been looking at that on the map and wondered if it was a AT or XR road:thumbleft: Would you mind if i put a photo on of the devils staircase from the other end i took back last year it realy is a fantastic place rode through there today on my AT:thumbleft:
You could do it on a C50!! The alternative exit to the North from where the tarmac now starts was a hard one as I recall, and I would need a guide to fine my way through the legit route.

No probs pulling any pics, they are pretty poor, taken with a phone as the damned kids have stolen the memory cards for my Canon!!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Thanks Steve this is Looking towards Devils Staircase from the Abergwesyn end of the pass

And this is the same road alot further along looking back the other way strata florida starts below the water fall in the distance

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And this is the same road further along looking back the other way strata florida starts below the water fall in the distance
Mustardmit, I was trying to remember the route onto the "water splashes" road over to Strata Florida, I did not have an OS map with me, else I may well have had a go! I am not sure if I have actually done it from this end...

The Cwm looks a LOT greener than yesterday :(

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Good report and some great photos, beautiful roads and scenery. This 'road' looks "challenging" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I done that road on sunday and i can say it was well worth doing

the ford at the bottom

Thanks for letting me know about it Steve:thumbleft:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I done that road on sunday and i can say it was well worth doing

Thanks for letting me know about it Steve:thumbleft:
Would have been nice that day! I see the hippies are still there!! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
newbie hi members just became a member of the club picking up 700 Friday / sunday all way out on bike send me a pm please Swansea area richierich

1 - 20 of 22 Posts