Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if you could point me in the right direction so that I can stay on the right side of the law I have OS 1:50k Great Britain memory-map is there any routes that you could do around Llandovery for intermediate riders

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Best getting an 1:25000 OS map and marking up a few routes, then checking the terrain on the ground before trying them.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
OS 1:50k is fine you do not need anything else

Look out for these red crosses (green on 1:25k scale maps) which are BOAT's (byway open to all traffic)

Or these red dots which show the route of ORPA's (other route with public access)

Warning Just because these boats and orpa's are on the map they are not always legal routes for motor vehicles

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
OS 1:50k is fine you do not need anything else
I still think investing in a 1:25000 is a better idea than sticking witht he 1:50000. Its easier to navigate on the ground and Im not sure if all the tracks are actually shown on the 1:50K? Maps only cost approx £7-8 each. Pop down your local WHSmiths and have a look at each before deciding which one is better.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have looked at the 1:25000 scale and agree it is better but i decided 1:50000 is the way to go because you have to carry more of the 1:25000 scale maps to cover the same area as a 1:50000 map and once you get used to reading them you soon pick up on things that help you find the start to lanes.:thumbright:
As for tracks missing on the 1:50000 map i think i will hve to investigate that i dont like missing out:D

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I have looked at the 1:25000 scale and agree it is better but i decided 1:50000 is the way to go because you have to carry more of the 1:25000 scale maps to cover the same area as a 1:50000 map and once you get used to reading them you soon pick up on things that help you find the start to lanes.:thumbright:
As for tracks missing on the 1:50000 map i think i will hve to investigate that i dont like missing out:D
Yes but not everybody rides like you and one of your 15 hour 300 mile trips to explore a lane near Bala!!!!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
HeHe a mans got to get out now and again for a little spin Phil.
I was out 14 hours last sunday and had to buy a fuel can and tie it to the bike to make sure i had enough petrol to get to the next garage that was open later than 9 on a sunday not many about when your desprate :icon_smile:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just because these boats and orpa's are on the map they are not always legal routes for motor vehicles
this was the info i was after also didn't know the littel red dots on OS map was open to motor vehicles I be up that way on the 25th march so planning on doing a route that would take up most of the sat day has any one got any gpx routes they could send us

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
this was the info i was after also didn't know the littel red dots on OS map was open to motor vehicles I be up that way on the 25th march so planning on doing a route that would take up most of the sat day has any one got any gpx routes they could send us
Remember little red dots do not mean legal routes...all the time. You wont know for sure unless you check with the local council. Or do what I do and get them marked on a map and then go and have a look on the ground. Most of the time you will be OK. But use common sense. When you get to a track if theres a sign saying no motor vehicles then give it a miss. Or if the track starts in an iffy place eg around houses, again use common sense. Maybe walk the first bit of the track. Sometimes the track will not look good, eg may look like a footpath.

Also, be warned that a lot of these tracks are farm tracks and will start or end in a farm. I hate these. When you ride into the middle of a farm and there are several exits. Unless you have a 1:25000 its difficult to pick your route. Ive taken several wrong turns and ended up in the wrong place. But unless you try you will never know. Dont let this put you off. Ive been chased by dogs and been locked behind gates...but Ive also found some fantastic tracks in my time. So go for it. Good luck. Better still, join a rideout, theres a few organised on this site. Go along for the ride and you will know what to look for in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts