Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post, and relates to luggage.
I am in the market for a 650 TA, this will be my first and I will be using it for my hobby which is exploring the UK and touring abroad. Previously I have used a variety of bikes for this pursuit, namely BMW R65, KTM 640 Adventure, VStrom 1k, Pan European 1100, and a Harley Davidson Sportster. I have a pair of Touratech Zega panniers sitting in my attic which I previously used on both the Vstrom and the KTM. I know that these panniers can be fitted to a TA providing the appropriate rack and frames are in place and was just wondering if anyone had experience of their use. I know many of you use Givi or OE panniers of the plastic variety, which have some obvious advantages over the Zegas like security and ease of transportation off the bike. The Zegas score highly in other ways; you can sit on them or use them as a table/work surface when camping, store extra luggage on top, and some people think they are more rock n roll in a sort of RTW sort of way. I will be interested to read your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :D

Out of interest, why do you have a TA650 in mind? As much as I love mine, I wonder whether you'd like it after some of the machines you've ridden.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I think that if you already have panniers, that is all you need to know!!

You've used them and, as you pointed out, they can be mounted with the TT or (IINM) SW motech rack too (or is it Hepco and Becker...:confused:)

So whack them on and explore!

I think one reason that people opt for the plastic ones is that they are cheaper to buy than the full shabang from TT, and the robustness of ally panniers is only an advantage if you plan to go off road. Having said that, many swear by soft luggage only for serious off-road...

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
was just wondering if anyone had experience of their use. I know many of you use Givi or OE panniers of the plastic variety, which have some obvious advantages over the Zegas like security and ease of transportation off the bike. The Zegas score highly in other ways; you can sit on them or use them as a table/work surface when camping, store extra luggage on top, and some people think they are more rock n roll in a sort of RTW sort of way. I will be interested to read your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.
I have some experience of them, wouldn't change them for anything else.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have some experience of them, wouldn't change them for anything else.

No: my eyes are playing tricks!

Is that folding BBQ seriously your idea of a "camping stove"?!?

Quality! Finally a motorcycle tourer with their priorities straight!! :D:D:D

PS: it does look like you ram-raided a cargo-strap factory and came out riding the other side!!

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
No not the stove, did cook on it ,as well as the two other cooking stoves and kettle burner. Mainly used fo campfires and sitting round telling a few yarns when the pub closed. fed a few over the years though...............

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No not the stove, did cook on it ,as well as the two other cooking stoves and kettle burner. Mainly used fo campfires and sitting round telling a few yarns when the pub closed. fed a few over the years though...............
:shock:

So, when you go camping, do you swap your rear subframe for a length of iron girder, and put a Goldwing shock in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pdsquire

I like to try different types of machine. I try to own two of different styles at a time and change after about 12 months and move on to something else. I also ride off-road - Husqvarna 250/450 (and get paid for it, how good is that?). I ran the ST1100 alongside the Harley Sportster for about a year but found the Sportster so much more enjoyable to ride than the Pan that the Pan hardly got ridden. It's a great motorcycle but I always felt Honda somehow managed to design all the fun of motorcycling out of it. I replaced it (the Pan) with a CBR600F which I took on a camping trip to the Alps. That was fun, however, as enjoyable as that road trip was, I kept wishing I was on something more relaxed. I've looked at and ridden the big trailees (GS & KTM950) and in my opinion they are really just road bikes with very limited off road capabilities unless being ridden by experts. And those experts won't take them places they could take 'real off road motorcycles'. Still very good bikes though, capable of sustained high cruising speeds on motorways and always handy for riding across the grass from the campsite office to your pitch. So why the TA? Well, I've yet to ride one but I've been talking to some owners and I reckon apart from the high speed motorway thing I reckon I could do pretty much everything I could do on a GS on a TA. I know you haven't got the clever front suspension thing going on but I think I could chuck an Alp round a bit. And with the right tyres I think I'd get it down any trail I'd get the Beemer down. Anyway, where exactly are your average GS owners taking their fully loaded bikes? Thats right, same as the rest of us, across the grass from the campsite office to the pitch. And as far the speed thing goes, I been moving away from the motorway blast thing for a while now. Smaller bikes seem to make me want to explore, bigger bikes seem to make me want to rack motorway miles. If I've got it wrong, please let me know.

BTBloke

Fantastic picture, what is the story behind it, have you got a picture of the bbq and where did you get it?

Warthog

Never been to Estonia but have travelled through Latvia and Lithuania. I find these places very similar, is that the case with Estonia as well?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
:shock:

So, when you go camping, do you swap your rear subframe for a length of iron girder, and put a Goldwing shock in?
He actually fills four of the bags with Helium to reduce the weight.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
BTBloke

Fantastic picture, what is the story behind it, have you got a picture of the bbq and where did you get it?
started off looking like this

ends up looking like this

the picture was from the 2008 national at dartmoor

you can get them on ebay or even tool companies sell them now,mine is a makita one. Very light,and you can pack stuff in it when you've cleaned it out.

Portable Fold Out Picnic Camping Barbeque Barbecue BBQ on eBay (end time 10-Jul-10 18:09:08 BST)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love it, going to get one. Going beach hopping in France August time, it will be great for that.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Warthog

Never been to Estonia but have travelled through Latvia and Lithuania. I find these places very similar, is that the case with Estonia as well?
Geographically it is similar: bogs, marshes, forests and coastline.

Historically it is different, having been part of the Hanseatic league, the old town of Tallinn is quite spectacular: different to the almost Parisien style of Riga.

Culturally it is also different, the Estonians being more Nordic than slavic. Nice place to live, all-in-all!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Baltic coastline is beautiful, I have spent a lot of time in Klaipeda. Curonian spit is spectacular. I was in Gothenburg and travelled along west coast lof Sweden last year, My brother has suggested riding a loop, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany. I fancy it but cannot give the time such a trip deserves at the moment.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I like to try different types of machine. I try to own two of different styles at a time and change after about 12 months and move on to something else.
Whilst the TA is a fabulous bike, make sure to get some pretty serious tyres if you're serious about the off-road- whilst the alp can cover rough ground at high speed quite well, it can't do low speed without bogging down if the ground is wet. And once you're stuck you'll be cursing your 50/50 rear tyre. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Also, it's pretty lardy at 190kg dry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jarl, 90% of the time it'll only be from the campsite office across the grass to the pitch. Maybe the odd farm track or forestry road. I'm aware of the bikes limitation and what have great off road expectations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts