Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking the MPG on the A/T recently and I was getting about 45 mpg fill to fill and since putting on the Remus Grand Prix can and link pipe it has dropped to 40 mpg,i know I can put some of this down to being a bit over zealous with my right hand listening to the exhaust but do these figures sound acceptable as I've heard of folks getting nearly 60mpg from there A/T's.The choke seems to work as the revs rise and die with the lever movement but in this warm weather it's rarely needed even the first start of the day.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I regularly get late 50s to early 60s mpg. I don't hang about either

I have remus grand prix, K&N and standard jetting. Very rarely needs choke in winter and never at any other time of year

On road solo without luggage I get between 56-68 dpending on how much it has been thrashed or how much A / B roads done

On road plus luggage keeping to 70 ish I get 50-55

Off road with luggage on hard pack I am getting 45-50

Off road sand / mud it drops to 40-42

Off road I generally run 3-4000 rpm

On road I run 5-6000 rpm

When on thrash I will run it to 8000 rpm

The bike has done 70000 miles

Hope this helps

Tank range is over 200 before hitting reserve on road

Reactions: TopBuzz99

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's a lot of difference to mine,the bike runs as sweet as nut and ticks over lovely and even,it pulls well through the gears with no flat spots or splutters.The plugs and air filter were changed not long ago and the carbs were balanced at the same time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have been checking the MPG on the A/T recently and I was getting about 45 mpg fill to fill and since putting on the Remus Grand Prix can and link pipe it has dropped to 40 mpg,i know I can put some of this down to being a bit over zealous with my right hand listening to the exhaust but do these figures sound acceptable as I've heard of folks getting nearly 60mpg from there A/T's.The choke seems to work as the revs rise and die with the lever movement but in this warm weather it's rarely needed even the first start of the day.
I think I'm about 45 to 50 but that's mostly town riding, and I'm somewhat snappy up to 30... ;)

I've got a Laser produro on but my bike came with it on so nothing to compare it with, but I admit I like to fast growl past the girls coming off the lights or out of a roundabout :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, I get the same MPG as Paul-S, Mine always needs the choke even after being stood about half an hour. It runs very lean the exhaust is always very grey. It had only 7000 miles on when i got it,so standard, exept for 17 tooth front sprocket. It has now done 16000 miles with no problems. Ray

Attachments

·
Junior
481 Posts
Yeah ? I had to check I'm on AT forum....:D cause I only get 36 MPG ....
O yeah it's 90' RD4 16T - 43T every thing else standard

VAL
Africa Twin , BMW R1100RT, 2 Bikes twice is happy :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I got 45mpg fully loaded doing 2200 miles across Europe, some motorway blatts, some twisty Alpine hairpins

I have balanced the carbs (after suggestion from Paul-S) and it has been suggested I should check my choke plungers are not shagged as there should be two steps when using the choke but mine seems to have one smooth motion

With the new (to me) Motad slip on there is a lot of popping and banging on the overrun so I suspect the choke plunger diagnosis will turn out to be true

John

·
Registered
755 Posts
I got 45mpg fully loaded doing 2200 miles across Europe, some motorway blatts, some twisty Alpine hairpins

I have balanced the carbs (after suggestion from Paul-S) and it has been suggested I should check my choke plungers are not shagged as there should be two steps when using the choke but mine seems to have one smooth motion

With the new (to me) Motad slip on there is a lot of popping and banging on the overrun so I suspect the choke plunger diagnosis will turn out to be true

John
+1 on the ''one smooth' choke and the popping on throttling off! Looks like my next job is carb checks then :rolleyes:

I must admit this AT pulls far stronger low down then I expected a big V twin to, which I guess is to be expected if I'm running rich.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
521 Posts
You can see details of my @'s mpg below. It improved by around 2mpg when changing the OEM can for a Remus Revolution (road legal). Can't remember the last time I used the choke, it's many years ago after first reading on this site about the fact it's not normally needed. I guess my choke plungers may by now be seized in the choke-off position but I dare not use it now in case it gets stuck on!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 on the ''one smooth' choke and the popping on throttling off! Looks like my next job is carb checks then :rolleyes:

I must admit this AT pulls far stronger low down then I expected a big V twin to, which I guess is to be expected if I'm running rich.
Am I right in thinking then that the choke should have a definite 2 stage feeling to the choke lever as mine has just one smooth movement from on to off?

·
Registered
237 Posts
RD07, 2003, K & N, Remus, Std jets. Never gets less than 50mpg however I ride a full tank to empty. Am also a believer that premium fuel is worth it.Can pxss a few off when doing a similar ride :) on similar bikes.....eh Rob A!
Only poor consumption figures appear when in Europe, cheap fuel = poor quality = poor mpg.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Am I right in thinking then that the choke should have a definite 2 stage feeling to the choke lever as mine has just one smooth movement from on to off?
The two stage feeling comes from the lever end, there is a small ball bearing that sits in indents on a steel plate that gives the full/half/off feel.
You'll see what I mean if you strip down the lever pivot.

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
4 to 5 gal per second on reheat.

Oh the twin? Same as Paul S, about 200miles before reserve. Looks high 50s but never really stopped to work it out.
Always on quick lanes in and out of work, so sitting at 50-60mph.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its an easy job to check those plungers for the pay back if one is seized and the bike will run alot better for min effort and cost. Mine was one smooth movement with a stuck plunger as obviously only one moved but since freeing the other has the distinctive 2 settings.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Mine are both a smooth operation from off to on.....no 2 stage feeling?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Maybe you don't have the steel ball, or if the spacers are set incorrectly you won't have that 2 stage feeling

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My choke is blocked off as the bike doesn't need it, even in winter. I get around 50mpg average. Worst was 46mpg, best 56mpg.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
52.4mpg last fill up...;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah but it needs a Remus to get real mpg! :lol:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The RD04 is a different beast to the RD07. The RD04 has more torque, the RD07 slightly up on BHP. Riding styles will make a big difference depending on which bike and which rider.
My RD04 struggles to get 50mpg (UK) but then I like acceleration, including any front wheel lift associated with it! My RD07's did get more mpg if you didn't keep screwing the throttle into high revs where the BHP hide!
Phil's right, it's a ball on a spring on the lever that gives the stepped choke or half choke as it's supposed to be. These don't seem to last long and most are just on or off.
Seems odd these days that my VFR1200X Crosstourer returns better mpg than my old 750 Africa Twin and over twice the BHP!
But,,,
I still love my old @T!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts