Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Varadero Explorer
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a test ride yesterday on a wee strom - great ride but the varadero still wins ;)
With petrol prices rising I was looking at fuel economy. Worked out mine on an 05 varadero 1000 and its about 50mpg on average.
Anyone get any better/worse?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mines something similar on average.
I've had from about 44 - 52mpg when I've measured it.
Just come back from 1200 miles in France, 2 up with full luggage and have worked it out as about 47mpg over the whole trip, which I think is pretty good (and I wasn't exactly dawdling in places!).
To be honest, I don't think the Vara drinks much more fuel than my 650 Transalp - it may be a much bigger engine but you don't have to open the throttle as far for the same result.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Ditto. Over 26000 miles mine's averaged 48 mpg. Stewth, I'm a nerd! :clown:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i get about 180mi to a tank in general, mostly commuting in town, going up and down the gears, rarely above 3rd gear and all accel/deceleration, no A roads even.
on a trip though i expect the fuel light to come on around the 250/260mi mark, with 3 loaded cases and 90odd on the clock for ages at a time on the autoroutes.
if i do a steady 60mph on the flat the fuel computer says im doing 18mi/ltr (times that by 4.55 to get mpg) 80 to the gallon!!!

obviously who the hell wants to stick at 60 on a deserted flat french peage? and there are always mongboxes to overtake and the odd hill etc but that does give a theoretical 450 mile tank range.

im the same as sparklymarkly, i dont hoon about all the time but i dont hang about either and economy is the last thing on my mind when im supposed to be enjoying myself!
but if i thought more about it i reckon 300miles should be fairly easy to achieve, especially on the continent, theres too much traffic here to stick at the same speed for long

·
Registered
9 Posts
Compared to the BMW I am very happy with the milage for this heavy bike. BMW 1200GS is better on twisty roads with a lot off trottle movement. but I expected the Vara to be much worse.

Guess I am using 0,5 - 0,55 litre pr 10 kilometer on "touring" with mixed roads. (acrapovic, no powercommander/re-jetting)

Think that is the same as my 650 Transalp I owned 4 years ago. Needed to use higher rev's with that bike.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Took a test ride yesterday on a wee strom - great ride but the varadero still wins ;)
With petrol prices rising I was looking at fuel economy. Worked out mine on an 05 varadero 1000 and its about 50mpg on average.
Anyone get any better/worse?

My 99 model usually averages around 38-42 mpg. LAst month i toured scotland, 2 up tank bag, top box and 2 Hepco & Becker Ali boxes average speed around 85mph the bike was very heavy and all that dropped to around 34mpg. But figures dont mean anything to me, why by something you dont want or enjoy just because it does 4 or 5 mpg better. My personal philosophy is if you have to worry about mpg's you can't afford to run it

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've no idea what mpg I'm getting but I do know that I was getting the low fuel light come on around 180-190 miles. My VA6 has just gone past 6k miles and last night I filled up before the low fuel light came on. I bottled out at 201 miles and it took just over 20 litres, so a slight improvement.

I'm more impressed with the new set of Conti Trail Attak tyres I've just fitted though :thumbup:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
im gonna give those a go when the oem trailwings (which im quite impressed by) give up the ghost. i always had road attacks on my sportstourer and loved em, so its either trail attacks or road attacks for the varadero, depends if i can be bothered to go for the block tread or not, otherwise they are the same tyres

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
apparently sports touring rubber gives better mpg that semi knobblies (makes sence i suppose!)

my carbadero is doing about 210 - 220 miles to the light on a run or about 180 on a commute!

not bad but not great!

Z

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep, my VA6 gets about 180-190 commuting before the light, or about 210-220 on a run. I'd probably get more on a run but with the MRA screen, my motorway 'cruising speed' is about 95 nowadays :blob5:

I've had the Conti Road Attacks on for a couple of thousand miles now, and I'm very happy with them. Fantastic grip and feedback, good wear rate - I'd give them 9/10. Would be 10/10 but for a slight tendency to weave over the ton - but that could be my topbox squatting the rear down at speed.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
my VA6 weaves slightly at speed too, and ive got the oem bridgestones still so its probably the bike geometry, not tyres

G

·
Hello Peeps

I bought a 99 Carb version Dero in Feb

I estimate that Im getting approx 200 miles / tank if I drive sensibly

I normally do short in town commutes 6 miles each way
occassional A roads 25 miles each way
and very occassionally a 10 miler each way on the motorway per month

As an eye opener I recently completed a Bike Safe course and I was told I was making the common new riders fault of driving too slow in to high a gear which would adveresly affect my mpg.

I was advised to keep my revs in the 4-5K range in every gear and this would give the best mpg results as the engine likes it better when you drive in that manner.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
210-220 miles to the light in "normal" use which is about 45mpg, solo, 2-up with or without luggage.

250miles to the light keeping speeds to legalish levels (but, thinking about I have only done this once - coming back from the TLD but deffo 250 to the light and now my longest non-stop journey - put fuel in at 252miles).

Vara slightly heavier on fuel than my 'alp but you would expect it with +350cc and about double the HP and torque.

Tyres - now on Conti road attack. Much better than Trailwings - which were good anyway - but especially good in the wet - they feel absolutely planted. The only problem I would report with the Conti's is that they don't like gravel - you know the stuff that gather on the crown of a small road, or on corners/junctions etc. The tyres feel very "skittery" over gravel - gives you that bum clenching, riding on marbles, OMG here I go...... sensation.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
... As an eye opener I recently completed a Bike Safe course and I was told I was making the common new riders fault of driving too slow in to high a gear which would adveresly affect my mpg.

I was advised to keep my revs in the 4-5K range in every gear and this would give the best mpg results as the engine likes it better when you drive in that manner.
Hi qqx6v. May I call you qqx for short? :D

I realise you're just telling us what you were told, but the Injectadero has a fuel consumption gauge so we can respond with some authority. Your trainer was talking bo11ock$; lower revs consumes MUCH less fuel. Add to that less engine wear and not having your engine make you sound like a prat, a high gear for gentle riding every time.

(It's different if you want to press on in the twisties, though ;) )

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
hes right about the engine being happier with a bit of revs though, my vara hates chugging away at 2K, (or at least i hate the feeling, its my 1st v-twin) it feels much better another gear down.

also he might be 1/2 right about the economy too, obviously the fewer revs used to maintain a given speed the better, but when you accelerate you open the throttle far more in higher gears than in lower ones, i dont know if its in your mind that you cant feel so much acceleration so you pour it on more, or what, but i know i do it, and i bet im not alone.
the vara's the 1st bike i ever had with an 'eco'meter and i noticed that, say, if i was doing 50mph in 6th gear and gave it the berries the m/ltr went down to 4 or 5, but the same handful at 50mph in third gear gave me better acceleration but also better economy, 8 or 9 m/ltr.

but then i though IM A **** WHY AM I WORRYING ABOUT THIS S*** WHEN I SHOULD BE ENJOYING MY RIDE?
BURN EVERY LITRE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST, BECAUSE SOON IT WILL BE

·
2,022 Posts
this is starting to become a bit of an issue for me!

i don't mind the fuel consumption on a tour (frankly 200-220 on a run out is pretty good for a big tourer that is this comfy!)

it's commuting MPG that is killing me in stop start traffic the bike just seems to slurp it down!- my bike is my daily commute and i know what people say just enjoy the bike and i agree - ona tour or at weekends but during the week i need better fuel economy!!

i'm gonna lean mine out a tiny bit (the joy of carbs!) and go to 'rider and pillion' tyre pressures and see what differency this makes - if none then i may be faced with a painful decision!:(

anyone have any good commuting (m/way and then traffic) tips for conserving the go-juice?

Z:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
On my daily commute there's a set of traffic lights that remain on red for a long time. Some days it takes a couple of cycles for me to get through too. Engine off each time!

I guess you realise that approaching a roundabout carefully can mean you often just slot into the traffic without stopping. Apart from the tyre pressures you mentioned, check the chain is correctly adjusted and brakes aren't binding. I can't think of anything else apart from the usual "ride smoothly, keep the revs down and anticipate" routine, sorry.

·
2,022 Posts
nice on DW - i try to be smooth (rather than just my normal slow!) but that is one area where i 'could do better'!!

cheers

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cheers Dave, nice to know someone else has a bit of a weave, and it's not tyre-dependent... Thinking about it, I don't know why I expected something with all that weight all that way up in the air not to get a bit weavy over a ton...:rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, I went out the other day without the topbox, and the weave seemed much less - I guess it's acting like a wing at the back and lifting the front slightly at high speed. But then without it I'd have nowhere for my butties...:p

That'd be 10/10 for the Road Attacks, then...

·
2,022 Posts
mine wobbles more with the box on than without - but as the box is a permanent feature now - i live with it!

what colour is yours Muzz - is it the RWB one that i keep seeing heading into the town centre from near the renault/VW garage in an evening?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts