Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Off to view the Millau viaduct in Sept with my mate, me on the Varadero while he will be on his Triumph Trophy.

We intend to do Dover - Calais then travel down west of Paris and take 2 days to get there, then back up the east side of France, hopefully touching on a few different countries on the way. Italy, maybe Switzerland, maybe Luxembourg, Germany and Belgium. All in 6 days!!

Any suggestions on routes and places to stop would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I've always passed across the Millau bridge, nutting it north or south, but the best views, best scenery, and best roads are taking the old route actually through Millau itself. You'll get the best views of the bridge from there!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this is not what you really want..but if you have 6 days..

heading down that way....Route De Napoleon....If you ain't done it already, it's superb..honest!

Route Napoléon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a ride we did in May 2009

You can view a complete report on the Versys Forum

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=5909.0

This is a brief overview of the trip and sites we used...

Arrive France via Tunnel/Boat....early

Night 1 – Lyon area:

Camping international seems a good site for a quick stopover and is just off the A6.
http://www.camping-indigo.com/en/Lyo...digo_lyon.html http://www.alanrogers.com/camping/fr...valley/FR69010

Night 2 - due to snow and other issues!!!
we stayed in Antibes at a "robot hotel" a chain called "B&B"....found with the aid of sat nav (49Euros)

Night 3 – Aix-En-Provence area:

This one which is only 2km from the city centre of Aix:
http://www.alanrogers.com/camping/ca...teARNo=fr13120
http://www.campingchantecler.com/an/...hantecler.html

The owner is a Biker who gave us a 10% discount....just mention you are a biker club!

Night 4 – Millau Bridge area:

This one is right by the Gorges Du Tarn and the Millau bridge: You sleep in the valley with the bridge in the background...we nipped up in the early evening to ride over the thing itself....amazing!

http://www.alanrogers.com/camping/fr...veyron/FR12390
http://www.campingmillauplage.com/

Night 5-Lourdes

We stayed at a lovely campsite right in the heart of Lourdes...called "Camping La Poste".
We literally stumbled on this one...but in my opinion it was a gem!
very small, with a lovely owner who helped us greatly and provided a good breakfast!

Night 6. St Sebastian

we were due to stay here:
http://www.alanrogers.com/camping/ca...iteARNo=ES9030

Very large well organised site....But on arrival we felt driven to bolt into Bilbao and grabbed a Cheap hotel minutes from the dock...."Formula 1" ....towels and soap and TV remote extra!!!!(32 Euros)

The beginning of May is in the very early part of the season...most campsites and some Hotels had limited facilities regarding meals etc...but were open for Camping...The same will apply for Sept I would think

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We,re about 3hrs west of millau and our lawns free:thumbright: if you,re passing
Phil

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
route napoleon is awesome, but have a look at a michelin map with the green lines and you will see every third road in france not an autoroute is fantastic for bikes.
perhaps you could get down to millau first, across the med coast to cannes, up the RN (is it the N85 if memory serves?) to grenoble, east into the italian alps ducking into expensive switzerland if you must but i would cut across northern italy into austria to innsbruck, then munich and strasbourg then up into the fantastic ardennes forest, but in six days you will be pushing it.

its quite a small area but the ardennes is well worth a few days on its own, also luxembourg and belgium are lovely and surprisingly un-french if your british and youve never been before, not what youd expect. anti-french in the north, you will be better off speaking english than french in flanders, as my half french and thoroughly ignored mate will testify!
we camped at chimay for the classic racing and on the way home did a little "5 countries in one day" tour, BEL,FRA,LUX,GER,NED, it was only about 320miles. thinking about it we couldve done six if we'd caught the ferry home that day.

so you dont have to go far to have a great tour, and doing the miles can take over and you dont see anything if that makes sense? but whatever you decide have a good time

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but is it possible to see the bridge in a long weekend (4 days) straight there and back would going via st malo help
Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
, maybe Switzerland,

If you hit the motorway in Switzerland you will need to buy a vignette which covers you for the current year. 40 Swiss francs, so stay off the autobahns.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but is it possible to see the bridge in a long weekend (4 days) straight there and back would going via st malo help
Thanks.
yes you could, its 550mi st malo to millau

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks.
Google maps shows 2 routes at 8-9 hours riding plus breaks so it's do-able but that's on the quickest roads (autoroutes). 5 days would give you a breather. It also depends on what you're riding, ie. tank range, cruising speeds and comfort can affect how knackered you get. Good luck :thumbright:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Google maps shows 2 routes at 8-9 hours riding plus breaks so it's do-able but that's on the quickest roads (autoroutes). 5 days would give you a breather. It also depends on what you're riding, ie. tank range, cruising speeds and comfort can affect how knackered you get. Good luck :thumbright:
depends on what ferry options you want to use, if you can get over and part way there on the first day you'll do it easy. 2nd night in millau or thereabouts, then reverse coming home. 400+mi a day on a french autoroute is boring but easy, (the tollroads are dead and you can just sit at 80/90 for tankfulls at a time) and leaves you time for decent meal breaks. if you dont use the autoroute then be prepared for very long days in the saddle.

why st malo in particular? the LD lines portsmouth to le havre is only £50 and will leave a shorter trip in france? or caen?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys, thanks for all the replys. I was interested in Davastos
" 5 countries in 1 day ". What route did you take? Thats just the sort of thing my mate and I would like to do.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the replys. I was interested in Davastos
" 5 countries in 1 day ". What route did you take? Thats just the sort of thing my mate and I would like to do.
it was just a bit of fun we decided to do looking at the map when we broke camp, using no major roads, just a big loop from chimay in belgium and round to liege where we stopped for the night. only stopped in each country long enough to take a pic to prove we'd been there, which is easier said than done theres no signs or border posts or anything these days on the little roads (idiot lad with us thought there was a barrier and little striped hut at every border crossing, he was very disappointed:rolleyes:). its further than it looks in the road atlas, 300+miles of twisty hilly wooded back roads is not to be sniffed at in one day, we were knackered (especially idiot lad on a fireblade, perfect bike for single lane farm tracks through the ardenne, NOT hahaha) but it was good fun and its great countryside, watch out for suicidal german bovines in the road, they get very amourous when they see a varadero for some reason. its a good job belgians do some top beer, we were ready for a few that night.
you dont have to go thousands of miles to have an adventure.

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
I would like to add my thanks as well i have shown the guys from work it can be done, one on a harley asked would we be in a hotel on the first night, traveling from bedford to portsmouth :p

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
What is it about the Millau Bridge and bikers? Just about everyone I know has been to see it.

Anyway, we did last year as well. Our ride report is here. If you're interested in any of the route or campsites, let me know. We're having another trip this year, so don't forget to post a ride report - so I can borrow bits of your route that look interesting.

(PS I only have to walk a few hundred yards to see a small scale copy of the bridge!)

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Don't rate it as a must myself:rolleyes::confused: Nice but only if you are passing. Just my opinion.

If the first night is Belgium then you can't fault this place.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Same here Yeti:thumbright: its a Bridge!!!!!!!! better off in the valley
Phil

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
What is it about the Millau Bridge and bikers? Just about everyone I know has been to see it.

Anyway, we did last year as well. Our ride report is here.
I was quite choked when I saw the pylons and the far off road deck emerge in little snapshots as we rode towards Millau and then when we did the final ride up toward the visitor centre I was truly, truly gobsmacked.

Probably the first building or construction to have THAT effect on me. Possibly something like a medieval peasant seeing one of the mega cathedrals for the first time !

As for bikers liking it, well the roads around it are great and we all appreciate good engineering of any type! :)

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
pah!! civils!! they build stuff for the real engineers to find a creative way of bringing it back down so they don't get bored!!:D:D:D

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi guys, Off to view the Millau viaduct in Sept with my mate, me on the Varadero while he will be on his Triumph Trophy.

We intend to do Dover - Calais then travel down west of Paris and take 2 days to get there, then back up the east side of France, hopefully touching on a few different countries on the way. Italy, maybe Switzerland, maybe Luxembourg, Germany and Belgium. All in 6 days!!

Did this one a couple of years back for my stag week..
We went Plymouth to roscoff, Rennes, Le mans, Torrs, Borges, Clermont-ferrand (Millau is south of Clermont Ferrand) Stayed in Millau. Then it was Rodez, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Poitiers, Nantes, Angers, Roscoff. Basically did a loop went down the centre of France then came up the west coast. 2300 in 4 days riding although we were in france longer. The Bridge is a must see and go to the visitors centre. When you go over the bridge it's just like every other bridge but when you get of heading soutth take the first right and that takes you towards Roquefort where they make the cheese and then you can get right up under the bridge and get a perspective of it....

Millau town

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi Jason
Last Photo NOW THATS A BRIDGE:thumbright: and France is full of them !!!! Ok i like stone !!!!! well i am a stone mason:D
Phil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts