Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a short cruise around the new forest earlier, and when stopped at one point one of Hampshire's finest constanblary :rolleyes: felt neccesary to point out that;

a) Grill style headlight protectors aren't road legal and
b) A tax disc must be displayed to the front and left of the rider (mine was by the chain, and covered in so much crud he couldnt see it was only a copy :D).

It wasn't anything formal, he just mentioned it on his way back from the burger van to his car, but can anyone tell me if this is true or complete and utter b*llocks :confused::confused:

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Had a short cruise around the new forest earlier, and when stopped at one point one of Hampshire's finest constanblary :rolleyes: felt neccesary to point out that;

a) Grill style headlight protectors aren't road legal and
b) A tax disc must be displayed to the front and left of the rider (mine was by the chain, and covered in so much crud he couldnt see it was only a copy :D).

It wasn't anything formal, he just mentioned it on his way back from the burger van to his car, but can anyone tell me if this is true or complete and utter b*llocks :confused::confused:
Jeez it's gotta be slow news day down your way for Plod to bother about nit-picking like that. :rolleyes:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I think point b is true, though doubt they'd be that bothered about it. I think you'd need a pretty bored cop to do anything other than tell you to move it.

Not sure about the first one though.

·
2,701 Posts
Don't know about headlight grill but loads of 4x4s have them, and what about the classic bikes from war time ? they ride round with those blackout grills on.

The tax disc he is correct, pity he had nothing better to do.
what bugs me is; all our details are known before the police stop us, so why do we need a tax disc at all :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
You saw a policeman in the New Forest.............................................

He must have been lost:D:D:D

Point b ir correct but as for the grill - don't know why, unless he thinks you won't be getting enough light thru to see properly at night

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
My TA was deliver from new from the dealers with the tax disc on the chain guard, therefore technically illegal!

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
The grill is illegal, because it distorts the headlight beam I believe.
:rolleyes: ROFL - Cie - you just hate any kind of 'bling' on a bike.........

Headlight guards in themselves are not illegal - I remember reading somewhere that there has to be a set minumum of light passing through any guard/cover so pretty much all aftermarket stuff for both bikes and 4X4s that are available would comply - I'll have to see if I can find it again.

As to the plod in the Forest - must have been a very bored 'jobsworth' to take time out of his lunchbreak to point out what he felt was illegal on your bike.

It's just this type of smallminded policing by a very small minority of plod that really winds me up, and gives the rest of them a bad name.:angryfire::angryfire:

Personally I would have challenged him on it and told him to stop being such a KNOB:protest: (but you were lucky with the tax disc copy) :thumbup:

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the quick replies everybody :thumbup:. I moved the tax disc to the front as it wasn't exactly what you would call hassle, it was only by the chain as thats where the dealer put it :rolleyes:. The headlight guard can stay there until it is confirmed that it is defiantly illegal :p. To be honest, it doesnt block that much light from coming out, even less when I get that HID kit fitted :cool:.

The rare meeting with a (probably lost and bored) cop wasn't much hassle either, only took 30 seconds of my time, and wasn't a formal "pull over, show me paperwork, let me give you a lecture and p*ss you off" etc so I'm not gonna winge :angel7: this time :D.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Surely small minded policing would be actually booking somebody. All he did was point out a couple of illegal points in a friendly manner. Let's be fair plods never going to win is he?

Small minded is two bikes and a traffic car parked on a roundabout on the way in to Porthcawl on a sunny Saturday pulling bikers for noisy exhausts, small number plates and dark visors.

Porthcawl is a seaside town where bikers meet on most weekends

·
Unsteady Eddi
170 Posts
he had probably just been on a "how to check a bike" course and thought he would try and share his knowledge

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Raven...He's just telling you something he knows and you don't.

Until you're 35, just smile and nod..:)

After that you can tell him do 'do one'.....no swearing though...;)

When you get to my age...you couldn't give a toss if they nick you or not.....:D

So ....err......The usual.....

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Make sure your tax disc is displayed upside down, so the policeman's helmet falls off when he reads it.

G

·
Both are true to some extent.

The grill is illegal only if it distorts the light output beyond the lighting pattern of a standar euro headlight

As far as the tax disk the DIRECTGOV website says

Display a tax disc on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.
Kymmy

----EDIT-----

After looking at the rules/regs a headlight guard would only be illegal if it did one of the following.

1. Altered the beam pattern
  2. Altered the beam direction
  3. Altered the beam color

Light intensity isn't covered by SVA/MOT and as far as I can see that's is the only way a grill that close to the headlight would effect the output. It's way to close to cast a distinct shadow and hence altering the direction or pattern.

Also failure to display a tax disc in the correct position or not at all is a £30 fixed penalty ticket

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ironic really ? A man was stabbed to death yesterday just metres from my home on what may well be the most heavily policed and monitored street in Western Europe.So far they haven't a clue.Yet today I saw three seperate teams of officers carrying out road tax swoops within a stones throw of that killing.........Funny old world :( ....still I'm sure they know what they're doing :confused:

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both are true to some extent.

The grill is illegal only if it distorts the light output beyond the lighting pattern of a standar euro headlight

As far as the tax disk the DIRECTGOV website says

Kymmy

----EDIT-----

After looking at the rules/regs a headlight guard would only be illegal if it did one of the following.
Light intensity isn't covered by SVA/MOT and as far as I can see that's is the only way a grill that close to the headlight would effect the output. It's way to close to cast a distinct shadow and hence altering the direction or pattern.

Also failure to display a tax disc in the correct position or not at all is a £30 fixed penalty ticket
:thumbup:

So my Grill is legal, and the location of my tax disc is now legal, but my tax disc copy techincally isn't (I knew that anyway).

Oh and Recyclers post actually made me laugh enough to put it in upside down :D

G

·
That's the problem with UK road law. You have one rule for VOSA, another rule for the DVLA and then the police I believe follow the rules with discretion either way...

If a copper wants to give you hassle about anything to do with a vehicle then he'll find something :( but most of the time his only action is to penalise you under certain rules and the CPS would laugh at him if he ticketed you based on the grill blocking light output....

BUT!!! Please make sure that the headlight guard or any other add-on has no corners that are not radius'd as that is the main thing that a copper could get you on...(i.e..sharp/pointed corners/edges that could do damage to a pedestrian on impact)

Kymmy

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
BUT!!! Please make sure that the headlight guard or any other add-on has no corners that are not radius'd as that is the main thing that a copper could get you on...(i.e..sharp/pointed corners/edges that could do damage to a pedestrian on impact)

Kymmy
And get a Wunderlich one that hinges away from the light

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Raven...He's just telling you something he knows and you don't.

Until you're 35, just smile and nod..:)

After that you can tell him do 'do one'.....no swearing though...;)

When you get to my age...you couldn't give a toss if they nick you or not.....:D

So ....err......The usual.....
Almost spot on there Cabby. At our age the rossers come up and say "I saw this young fella the other day, called himself Raven. I put the fear of god into him by telling him his tax disc was illegal. Should have seen the look on his face. Young people, you can tell them anything." And we have a laugh about it.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts

Would that make Cie's yellow h/light covers illegal? Not pointing fingers, Cie, just interested.

-Simon

1 - 20 of 39 Posts