Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Road safety minister Mike Penning has sounded the death knell for the unpopular and widely criticised swerve test for learner bikers wanting to get a full licence.

Announcing the results of the review of the test launched earlier this year he said a the altered driving exam would include "a new hazard avoidance manoeuvre which - subject to further trialling - can be carried out on the road."

Slowly does it

He also said: "Slow manoeuvres (manual handling, slalom, figure of eight, U turn and slow ride) might better be examined at training centres, ahead of the main test, by delegated examiners employed by the training industry.

"It could be followed by a single event on road test conducted by DSA, including the remaining manoeuvres and the other elements of the road based test."

Consultation

Nothing is yet finalised. "The next step for the review will be to hold wider trials, with test-level candidates, to verify the standards, suitability and safety of the new manoeuvres, including a number of on road sites, to establish the criteria for safe on road testing," Penning said.

He said there would be further public consultation late next year or early 2012. He admitted that some areas "are poorly served by the current network of off road test centres".

Links (new windows)
Report of the motorcycle test review

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is about time the CBT could be used for all the off road elements of the test.
Once passed the rider could then have the on road assessment, allowing for the examiner to assess if the rider is safe in normal road craft.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
When I took my test I did the Part 1 off-road thing and the swerve test. I'm not saying it's necessary but it was fairly easy and not 'dangerous'.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
When I took my test I did the Part 1 off-road thing and the swerve test. I'm not saying it's necessary but it was fairly easy and not 'dangerous'.
My wife didn't find the swerve test difficult either and from watching others do it at the test centre not many others did either. Anyway I am sure the reasons for stopping it are financial and nothing else.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I've personally witnessed two crashes during the swerve test, both riders on 125cc bikes. I think the problem isn't the swerve, it's trying so hard to get a low powered bike up to the correct speed, sometimes with a heavier rider, to the point where they are screaming the engine in first till the last possible second before changing up then having to deal with the rest of the exercise.

The whole fiasco seems to have been engineered to get the DSA lots of shiny new test centres at the candidates expense.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
I think the problem isn't the swerve, it's trying so hard to get a low powered bike up to the correct speed, sometimes with a heavier rider, to the point where they are screaming the engine in first till the last possible second before changing up then having to deal with the rest of the exercise.
Yes it is challenging to get it up to speed, but what you can do is just take the bend before it at considerable speed (40km/h) then rev the CG in 2nd with the throttle to the stop! :thumbright: 59km/h through the speed trap! That was pretty fun.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I've personally witnessed two crashes during the swerve test, both riders on 125cc bikes. I think the problem isn't the swerve, it's trying so hard to get a low powered bike up to the correct speed, sometimes with a heavier rider, to the point where they are screaming the engine in first till the last possible second before changing up then having to deal with the rest of the exercise.

The whole fiasco seems to have been engineered to get the DSA lots of shiny new test centres at the candidates expense.
It was an EU directive.
Talking to a DSA examiner, they wanted the speeds bought inline with our speeds and not those of the continent. they thought a test at 28 / 30 MPH was best for us, but the EU would not have it because Britain no longer has any clout.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Is this an old new post or a new old post:rolleyes:
Or just a whoopsie?
''He said there would be further public consultation late next year or early 2010.''?:rolleyes:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this an old new post or a new old post:rolleyes:
Or just a whoopsie?
''He said there would be further public consultation late next year or early 2010.''?:rolleyes:
corrected.:)

·
The psych with the bike
225 Posts
Has anyone thought this through? Whilst by no means popular, The new test was as a result of an EU directive.
If we (The UK Government :sign3:) Unilateraly junk the new test (There has to be a question if we can), we (The great british riding public:angel7:) will therefore not then meet the EU standards.

If this is the case, Will they (Our european Brothers:hitler:/The euro stazi:evil:) recognize our Licence?

If not will they let us ride on their roads:sad2:?

Just a thought?

·
Registered
283 Posts
The new test was as a result of an EU directive.
If we (The UK Government :sign3:) Unilateraly junk the new test (There has to be a question if we can), we (The great british riding public:angel7:) will therefore not then meet the EU standards.
As I understand it the issue is not about agreeing or not to the Directive, which the Government are anyway signed up for, but about how you interpret what will meet the Directive.

It's also not just about what is right for bikers and road safety. Note how keen the Government is to get as much as possible of the test farmed out to the private sector ("might better be examined. . . by delegated examiners employed by the training industry").

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The main problem that caused the trouble with the test centres was the 31Mph or 50Kph speed limit imposed on the test, it should be at the speed of the country involved in our case 30 Mph or 48.27 Kph.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The main problem that caused the trouble with the test centres was the 31Mph or 50Kph speed limit imposed on the test, it should be at the speed of the country involved in our case 30 Mph or 48.27 Kph.

That's my point. Given you won't be able to get every (or even any) candidate to do EXACTLY 31 mph, do you accept within, say, 1%, or maybe 5% of the official 'test' speed? (Bear in mind your speedometer may legally over-read by 10%, IIRC).

How zealously do you think some of our more, shall we say, laid back European nations apply such limits?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The problems are, what they say and what they do, are usually two different things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts