Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Had a misfire when warm on my 700, so a quick browse of the forum suggested new plug caps be required. So just changed - and while I was in there put new NGK Iridium plugs in too.
Now this is my first time doing any maintenance on this bike, and noticed not one but both plus were cracked through the porcelain. Definitely not me, could see the crack as soon as the cap came off. Query is, is there any reason for this other than ham-fisted spannering by the supplying dealer?
Not test driven yet, but fires up fine, but then it was fine until hot before.
Will report soon
Thanks everyone for the forum and the plug cap tip. Hope it's fixed now. Scotland next weekend.
Rob

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Which plug caps did you use? I've changed the plugs on mine for standard NGKs and found a bit more power and the misfires gone. Just wondered which caps in case it comes back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi
I used NGK Resistor Spark Plug Cap XB05F black (8062) ebay item 221005787851 - have used this seller many times

Have been out and tried now. Not sure about more power, certainly more flexible, and sweet as a nut again.
Thanks for the pointer.
I think it had likely been a slow degradation - so the step change back to OE performance feels great.
Rob

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
THanks for the info mate

·
Registered
375 Posts
Cracked plug insulators definitely sounds like a ham-fisted job by whoever did the work before. There's no reason why they'd crack of their own accord. The NGK caps make a world of difference to the running of the engine - the original fitment caps do seem to degrade quite badly.

When I last checked there wasn't a direct replacement NGK iridium plug for the Transalp. I had a chat with the guys on the NGK stand at the bike show. The standard plug has projecting electrodes that extend further out into the combustion chamber, whereas the nearest equivalent iridium plug does not have projecting electrodes - we figured that any advantage given by the smaller iridium electrodes (more exposed to the fuel/air mix) was probably outweighed by the fact that the spark gap wasn't as projected out into the combustion chamber. I'll be interested to see how you get on with them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mmmm... didn't appreciate that, just asked for Iridium equivalents - and as you say they are not 'P' type. Runs fine, doesn't feel as though there's less power. It's certainly much smoother. Still puts 100mph up at least as easily. Maybe I now need to swap back in order to be able to judge (never change two things at once ;) )
Thanks for the info
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts