Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has just been in to the main dealer for some recall work which necessitates the removal of the tank. When I put the bike in it had around 170 miles worth of fuel remaining on the computer (which lines up with the 200 already done as its a 35l tank) when I got it back later that same day a couple of gallons seem to have gone astray as we are down to 80 miles to empty.

I suspect they drained the tank to make removal easier but they seem to have "lost" a couple of gallons in the process. I don't believe for one minute it has been lost deliberately, more likely put in a can and forgotten about.

So what should I do?

If I call them they may admit that they forgot to refill it however they may also see me as accusing them of theft which would seriously damage our relationship and cause more damage than good down the line. We are only talking about a tenners worth of fuel but if, and I mean if, it was taken deliberately then I don't think that is acceptable in any shape or form.

So. Taking into account that the next nearest dealer is 50 miles further afield and the service to date has been good. What would you do?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I would tactfully ask the question that they may have genuinely made the mistake of forgetting to refill the tank after refitting and make them aware of your observations.

They will still want your future business.

On an aside note how did you get on with the other fuel problem you encountered - the possible short measures from a petrol station?

I seem to remember that the local trading standards were to investigate but you would not be appraised of the outcome

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I would speak to them about it, it could be a mistake on their behalf but it could also be one of the staff saving money by removing fuel for their own use.
If you do nothing and it is the latter then the thief will keep doing it to others as well.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On an aside note how did you get on with the other fuel problem you encountered - the possible short measures from a petrol station?

I seem to remember that the local trading standards were to investigate but you would not be appraised of the outcome
Trading standards did get back to me and said that they checked the pump and it was OK. Shortly after the fuel gauge on the bike packed up so I suspect there was less in the tank than I thought and I was running on fumes. At least I know that the tank holds 35L now :)

Gauge has since been fixed and had been fine for the last 5K miles so I dont think that's the problem here.

On that I've now done 7K miles in 4 month of ownership on that bike so it cant be all bad. :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
On that I've now done 7K miles in 4 month of ownership on that bike so it cant be all bad. :thumbup:
You must be enjoying it then

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
I can see your dilemma Boris but i'd have to say something... A quiet and very polite word to the boss. I would make it absolutely clear that you are not interested in any kind of refund, after all it's just a tenner, your not bothered about the financial loss in any way but are bemused at the loss of petrol. Explain to them that if it's a part of the procedure to drain petrol then fair enough but don't start saying that it should be put in, leave it with him so that if it should have been put back in then he might start to think that his staff are sneaking a bit out here and there and put a stop to it.

It's obviously not going to be good if you go in there ranting and raving demanding a tenner for fuel and accusing them of theft (for reasons you have already stated) but i feel this needs to be brought up, i'd have to mention it. You need to trust the dealer you take your bike to and you need to know that the bike is in safe hands and you will never know if this keeps eating away at you and in the end you will most likely take it to another dealer due to that so you might as well risk it and broach the subject.

Again, stress that the monetary situation is not an issue and that you are simply puzzled by the dissapearance of the petrol. Infact you could explain to him your concerns like you have us, that you were unsure weather or not to bring it up as you did not want to cause offence but were intrigued as to where the petrol had gone.

Any dealer worth his salt should be happy to explain any querry you have concerning the service and repair of a motorcycle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
I can see your dilemma Boris but i'd have to say something... A quiet and very polite word to the boss. I would make it absolutely clear that you are not interested in any kind of refund, after all it's just a tenner, your not bothered about the financial loss in any way but are bemused at the loss of petrol. Explain to them that if it's a part of the procedure to drain petrol then fair enough but don't start saying that it should be put in, leave it with him so that if it should have been put back in then he might start to think that his staff are sneaking a bit out here and there and put a stop to it.

It's obviously not going to be good if you go in there ranting and raving demanding a tenner for fuel and accusing them of theft (for reasons you have already stated) but i feel this needs to be brought up, i'd have to mention it. You need to trust the dealer you take your bike to and you need to know that the bike is in safe hands and you will never know if this keeps eating away at you and in the end you will most likely take it to another dealer due to that so you might as well risk it and broach the subject.

Again, stress that the monetary situation is not an issue and that you are simply puzzled by the dissapearance of the petrol. Infact you could explain to him your concerns like you have us, that you were unsure weather or not to bring it up as you did not want to cause offence but were intrigued as to where the petrol had gone.

Any dealer worth his salt should be happy to explain any querry you have concerning the service and repair of a motorcycle.

I'd second that.

(& depending on their reaction, maybe just mention that your uncle tony from sicily suggested that it would be a shame for their workshop to burn down due to some unnacounted for petrol...:angel9:)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
er, i hate to say it because they are otherwise excellent, but thats a favourite trick of my dealer too. dont forget a couple of gallons of fuel off everyone is a lot of money, personally i think they put it in the demos, make you pay for it again or top up the tanks before giving it back, and so on and so on. to get round it i let them have my bike either virtually empty or brim full, and casually let them know that you know they know its brim full or empty,
"careful when you try to move the tank/go for a test ride, its chocca/empty"
they understandably dont like it full, but i dont see why they should diddle me out of a tenners worth of gasola either

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
If it were me I would mention it in conversation next time I went in. As has been said, perhaps the service manager has no idea this kind of thing goes on. On the other hand, when I put the Tiger in to get a new float sensor under warranty the bike was returned to me with more fuel in it than when I left it so of course I said nowt! ;)

Andy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sad to say i have had the same thing done to me :( i spoke to the md on my next visit and explained that i was still very happy with the level of service i had been getting but realy would appreciate leaving them with the same ammount of fuel in the tank as when i dropped the bike off. :confused:
he gave me 20 squiddleys out of his wallet and its never happened again,
so as all are saying let them know and im sure they will sort it for you.

cheers. Boo :thumbup:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Ask the service manager if they've done something that would upset the fuel gauge and when he asks why explain what happened.

No accusations, just a simple question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts