Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know its a bit of a long shot but hey if you don't ask .......

My good lady's Shoprider Mobility scooter seems to have developed a fault after she managed to get stuck in a patch of mud (don't ask how).
After engaging the free running lever and pushing it out of the mud and re-engaging the lever it would not run. When either forwards or reverse drive are selected the dam thing moves slightly and stops and sits there bleeping untill its turned off. I have tried runnung it without the brake no change. I have checked all the electrical connections around the rear end all seem good. I have now fully charged the batteries and still no joy.
I have searched the web for information as to what the bleeping means and cannot find anything.

If anyone has any ideas or information I would apreciate it very much and so would Mrs V.

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
I don't know about such scooters, but....
Could the beeps be some sort of "overload" alarm?
Is the drive mechanism free, or clogged with mud?
(Just thinking out loud, so to speak: if the mechanism is jammed,the motor would try to overcome the load, but not succeed... rather than overheat, perhaps it has some sort of alarm)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about such scooters, but....
Could the beeps be some sort of "overload" alarm?
Is the drive mechanism free, or clogged with mud?
(Just thinking out loud, so to speak: if the mechanism is jammed,the motor would try to overcome the load, but not succeed... rather than overheat, perhaps it has some sort of alarm)
Thanks for your thoughts Hotbulb.

I also think the beeps are some sort of alarm but not sure whether its an overload or something else.
The latest check I have done is raise the rear wheel off the deck and run it and all seem fine. There is no signs of any mud on the mechanism just the wheels.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
If it's modular (comes apart to put in the car)........release and then 'reclick' the rear back together. Take battery out and back in.
My mum's bleeps without working if that interlock has lost contact. Also happened when thr freewheel lever is out of position.
The other time it happened (twice) it was a connector under the floor pan...hard to get at and I made the fix permanent the second time.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
No idea but Stormforce and Chad will be along shortly offering Rugged Roads Buano kevlar carbon fibre fairing kits and enhanced suspension:D

Reactions: 621andy

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Ok I know its a bit of a long shot but hey if you don't ask .......

My good lady's Shoprider Mobility scooter seems to have developed a fault after she managed to get stuck in a patch of mud (don't ask how).
Ahh the draw of the Dakar is strong.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Sounds like a stuck choke to me!!!

Joking aside, I think you need to look at the free wheeling lever, and check you have re-engaged it properly. I'd suggest rocking the kart backwards and forwards while you disengage and then re-engage it, as I suspect that perhaps some gears have not meshed correctly and either the lights are suggesting that the motor is jammed, drawing too much power, or that the drive has not be engaged correctly.

[EDIT] If the free-wheeling mechanism is engaged correctly, look around the mechanism for micro-switches, one of which could be stuck, as I suspect you rarely use the free-wheeling mode. Spray them with a bit of WD40 and wipe clean and make sure they're clicking in/out.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your advice and comments.

It looks like I will have a bit more time to have a good look at it now as I have just got back from our local hospital without the wife, she had a fall last night and will now be stuck in hospital for some time.

Just when you think life is as c$$$$p as it can be it gets worse.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Thanks for all your advice and comments.

It looks like I will have a bit more time to have a good look at it now as I have just got back from our local hospital without the wife, she had a fall last night and will now be stuck in hospital for some time.

Just when you think life is as c$$$$p as it can be it gets worse.
Bit of a bummer Alan. Hopefully she will be out soon.

So at least now you have time for that ground up restoration. Lowered suspension, flames and go faster stripes.

How could she resist?

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
the moral is , not for off road use ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

a couple of years ago , me and the mrs were out in the van

driving round an island nr sainsburyus , she says , theres an arm in the ditch waving at us ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

get lost i said , she says youd better turn round quick ,,,,,

as we were high up , merc sprinter we could see an arm waving from the anti traveller ditch ,,,

an old chap had decided to go off roading on his chariot to the fishing pool , and on his way back had took a tumble
ended up upside down in the ditch with the chariot on toip of him

been stuck ere 2 hours he said as i called the ambulance

broken arm n glasses

any way i put the scrot in the back and asked where he lived , #

#" my misses is in the bingo , would you fetch her he said "

any ways got down the gala , and found her , she wouldnt come out till she`d played all the books ,,,, bloody hell,,,,

its true this ya know

another hr later dropped her , her sister , n damaged scrot off ,,,,,,,, bloody hell what a day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Give her our love.

(Right lads, let's get the makeover team round there now and pimp her ride.:D)

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
sorry to hear about her Fall Alan , i hope she gets well soon and is back off roading her scoot soon !!!! Maybe my mate can sort it for ya

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
Sorry to read this .. I hope Mrs V recovers quickly, and that you can fix the scoot in time for her to be mobile once more.
Best wishes
Huw

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once again many thanks for your thought.

Just a quick update Mrs V is currently dosed up on morphine awaiting surgery. Starting from the top Mrs V has a 1 1/2" cut to her temple, assorted bruising to her arm and shoulder, and the worst of all a broken hip. Doctors recon on about 6-8 weeks at least in Hospital, with her other health issues this may take longer.
The mobility scooter is now on the back burner.

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
Sorry to hear that Alan, It does sound bad, hips ae not good things to break, send all my best

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Sorry to hear this Alan, not what you needed right now, I'll guess? Anyway, hope your wife makes a speedy recovery and that you stay strong meantime. If your XRV friends can help in any way, let us know. Meantime, take care of yourself - she needs you in good shape :thumbup:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Wish to add my best wishes for a speedy recovery to your lass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts