Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XL700-VA 9.
If I remove the gear lever & the little cover over the final drive sprocket, will I instantly be able to determine whether it already has had the modified sprocket fitted. ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was not the question !!
Can you tell if a modified sprocket is already fitted by just removing the cover ???

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are different types and manufacturers of modified front sprockets...as long as you know what an original or a pattern one looks like, you will spot the differences..best do a google search images for both ! to get some pics up....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andy. Your response was what I was looking for. Not the garbage turned out by Wicky . " Yes" is not exactly helpful. !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could someone please post a photo of the OEM Transalp final drive sprocket so that I can determine what is fitted to mine.
XL700-VA 9

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Thanks Andy. Your response was what I was looking for. Not the garbage turned out by Wicky . " Yes" is not exactly helpful. !!!
Could someone please post a photo of the OEM Transalp final drive sprocket so that I can determine what is fitted to mine.
XL700-VA 9
To be fair he was trying to help and it did answer the question you asked
Ironically, Andy may have given you the answer you wanted but never asked the question for!

A quick 2 second google search...
Ok, not an Alp but essentially looks the same.

Whatever sprocket you have, make sure it is fitted the right way round ie the sprocket teeth nombers facing outwards - too many are fitted incorrectly.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
To be fair he was trying to help and it did answer the question you asked

Ironically, Andy may have given you the answer you wanted but never asked the question for!

A quick 2 second google search...
Ok, not an Alp but essentially looks the same.

Whatever sprocket you have, make sure it is fitted the right way round ie the sprocket teeth nombers facing outwards - too many are fitted incorrectly.

XL700-VA 9
Hi...Andy again...took me more than a few seconds though....2nd one is a KK Superpinion with a completely different locking system...have a read up on them...hope it helps
XL700 front sprocket.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
They work out about the same price as original, when you consider the original expensive locking washer that wears out as well ! is not required with the KK...which also drives on more spline faces...

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Hi...Andy again...took me more than a few seconds though....2nd one is a KK Superpinion with a completely different locking system...have a read up on them...hope it helps View attachment 164374 View attachment 164374 View attachment 164375
Some aftermarket sprockets now have the rubber sound damper like the oe item so seeing the damper doesn't necessarily mean it's oe Honda - those are probably 'JT' sprockets looking at the part number stamped on it. Theres another company called Oblerone or some such.

The KK sprockets look like the best solution out there for those with or overly worried about shaft wear.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have an XL700-VA 9.
If I remove the gear lever & the little cover over the final drive sprocket, will I instantly be able to determine whether it already has had the modified sprocket fitted. ?
To answer your question as politely as you were to Wicky. yes i will I instantly be able to determine whether it already has had the modified sprocket fitted. if you removed the gear lever & the little cover over the final drive sprocket . but i'm not sure you would though

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
This is a friendly forum, that you joined to find one thing out, so maybe you could try not to be so damn obnoxious and you might get more help!!
Exactly what i was thinking first post on this forum and acting like a disrespectful arse

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mr Towyvalley...Hang in there new bloke..started out a little bit iffy ?.and rubbed up a few very very very knowledgeable and helpful bikers the wrong way..I guarantee you will need advice and help in some way later..play it safe next time around..People say these bikes are bomb proof..BUT..Nothing is ! !...good luck with the new purchase, and post the results up as you fix things ; as it may help others as well....PS..If you need a front sprocket..go the KK route..and replace the rear and chain as a set..with a descent quality make !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts