Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nows the time to include road tax with petrol. Huge savings will be made for us tax payers like a large reduction in DVLA staff pestering us with road tax reminders and declaring SORN (what a mess they can make with that). Those that do the high mileage will pay more. Those who do low mileage will be better off. Bikers will be laughing all the way to the savings bank. No more untaxed vehicles so this will free up most of the police force. Its a win / win situation. Foreign drivers will also contribute to the scheme (unless they dont fill up) but thats unlikely. What you lot think?

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Sounds great in theory, but they wouldn't do it fairly they'd end up loading fuel heavily and for those of us that do 10,000 miles or more a year on bikes, I'm sure we'd be a darn sight worse off :confused:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
An additional problem is that you would not be checked for a valid MoT and insurance on renewal - unless you had to have a disc anyway but made it free of charge. Unfortunately then your cost savings would be vastly reduced.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We already pay road tax on fuel in the form of duty, then vat all with money that's had tax paid on it, although adding more tax to fuel by bringing insurance into the equasion would give them an excuse to restructure ( raise ) insurance tax, so that's efectivly five taxes on fuel.
Why not start to punish road tax dodgers, checkout your local paper, if a chav saves a gouple of grand in insurance they get a £60 fine

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Nobody will get rid of a tax that is predominently paid. Raising the revenue elsewhere might be cheaper but does not give the government flexibility to target specific groups with reductions or higher rates either.

It also makes more sense to not need the disc, as the police can check online, as they can now with insurance. We have this nonsense that the offence remains not displaying a valid tax disc, regardless of whether or not you have paid the tax.

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
in principle it works but i would hazard a guess that the cost of staffing to recover the money from oil companies would be the same as the DVLA is now so no savings there.

Another problem would be this would hit the UK's haulage industry which is already on its last legs compared to other EEC countries... result would be more companies relocating to mainland Europe and the collapse of the UK industry... that would have a massive knock on effect to high street prices.

its simple catch, prosecute and make the offenders pay!!.. a 6 week stint in prison and points on a license you don't have any way is not a deterrent. The laws on confiscation, vehicle destruction and seizure of assets needs to made in favor of the public not the offender.... if a chav is threaten with losing is prize chavemobile corsa or paying the bills he may think twice.

The laws on parental responsibility also need a massive overhaul.... rant over :(

·
Registered
585 Posts
Why have all the others poured cold rice pudding on your idea? I thought that only happened to me! M-O-T and insurance are all in a computer somewhere, plod can check at any time. That's how we can do it on line. Brill idea.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
My initial thoughts are that it's a great idea...HOWEVER, I don't think the government would risk it.

The road fund licence has to be paid whether we use our car or not, so the government gets that handed to them on a plate.

Fuel is already heavily taxed, so they get that handed on a plate too.

If they combined both, do you really think they'd be prepared to lose out?

I agree that by adding it to fuel, foreign vehicles would in effect have to pay the tax, but if you think about it, most foreign trucks have fuel tanks which are large enough to get them to the UK and home without having to refuel. The odd tourist would have to pay, but the knock-on effect is that could be another nail in the coffin for attracting tourists to a country that is already far too expensive.

I don't know what the answer is, I think it's all very complicated, and know for sure that wanting lower taxes and better services don't compute that well.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Nows the time to include road tax with petrol... What you lot think?
I agree. Not many will mourn a reduction in the DVLA, except maybe the Welsh Assembly, and maybe the DVLA can then concentrate of getting our driving licence records right.

Sounds great in theory, but they wouldn't do it fairly they'd end up loading fuel heavily and for those of us that do 10,000 miles or more a year on bikes, I'm sure we'd be a darn sight worse off :confused:
So those that drive more/guzzle more/pollute more, pay more. And the problem is?

Watch out for whinging from the countryside lobby though: "Ooh, we have to travel more miles..." So live somewhere closer then!

An additional problem is that you would not be checked for a valid MoT and insurance on renewal - unless you had to have a disc anyway but made it free of charge. Unfortunately then your cost savings would be vastly reduced.
Expiry of MoT and insurance is traceable by computer. If you really want a disc on show, why not have an MoT certificate that is small and circular and has to be displayed... like they do in Ireland?

in principle it works but i would hazard a guess that the cost of staffing to recover the money from oil companies would be the same as the DVLA is now so no savings there.

Another problem would be this would hit the UK's haulage industry which is already on its last legs compared to other EEC countries... result would be more companies relocating to mainland Europe and the collapse of the UK industry... that would have a massive knock on effect to high street prices...
Fuel is already taxed, so the infrastructure is already in place; changing the rate of tax just means bigger numbers not more work. I agree with your point about the haulage industry, but at least all those foreign trucks will be paying into our coffers for clogging up our roads. After all British trucks pay road tolls when they drive on the continent.

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
the taxation on fuel at the monent is excise and nowt to do with the DOT which cover roads... you really think that one government department would do the job of banking their share for another ... no chance!!

another load of pen pushers and accounts swollowing up the money. :(

very few euro hauliers fuel bunker in the UK, even companies like stobarts (I worked from the stobbies HQ at Carlisle 10 years ago when they saw this coming and started to move out the UK!), irlams etc etc now send trucks to Holand to get round uk licencing and high fuel costs... whacking up fuel costs will just kill of the few left who are stupid enough to beleive in the folly of 'Great' Britian and haven't followed suit (yet!).

There is also the question of who is liable to pay the duty, would it be the manufactures, distributers or the retailers.... sure the very few independant garages left would love the oppertunity to be tied up with more government red tape and beaurocacy... well at least it will keep their book keepers in business i guess.

In an ideal world it would be nice if the duty from fuel was actually spent on the roads and not paying for second homes of politicians... if the day comes and there is an honest politician, the money we pay is spent on what its meant to be ho knows it may work.......... .grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The best money saving idea they could have is to get one person to do one job.
There seems to be more jobs out there that have no purpose other than to make the figures look good.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
The best money saving idea they could have is to get one person to do one job.
There seems to be more jobs out there that have no purpose other than to make the figures look good.
Yep!.....If buses insist on turning up in 3's then connect them together and have one driver........and best import a cheap elephant driver so he's used to the length...

I'm gettin' the hang of this capitalist thing.....:)

Oh...and if anyone is rich enough to have spare money they should lend it back to the government at a very low interest rate until the deficit is cleared................:angel5: :hitler:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

I agree here we would get conned doing it this way may be a case of better teh devil you know. How would someone who commutes all year on an xr400 be better off when tax is only £33 a year

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
the taxation on fuel at the monent is excise and nowt to do with the DOT which cover roads... you really think that one government department would do the job of banking their share for another ... no chance!!
Nope don't understand this. HM Revenue and Customs collects fuel tax and passes it to the Treasury who passes it on to other Government departments. That's what HMRC does. There's no reason DfT couldn't be one of those recipient departments. :confused:

The only things that would change is that the DVLA would stop collecting road fund tax, and HMRC would collect more fuel tax. The fuel companies already pass on fuel tax, so there's no extra "red tape"; only the rate would change.

Less bureaucracy, more incentive to reduce fuel consumption, can't see the problem. I accept what you say about haulage companies though. That aspect needs to be worked on.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The cheapest tax to collect is VAT (because businesses such as mine collect it for the government and just send it in), so just adding whatever percent was required to produce the same amount of revenue would give the government more money.

And non-drivers benefit just as much from the roads as drivers do (they get their food driven the supermarket and possibly to their doors, just like motorists).

We don't have hypothecated taxes in the UK. The last one in theory was the 1 percentage point rise in NI "for the NHS". Although the NHS budget went up by that amount, the tax was no hypothecated, so the NHS budget could come down but the NI rate won't.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
1. Yep!.....If buses insist on turning up in 3's then connect them together and have one driver........and best import a cheap elephant driver so he's used to the length...

I'm gettin' the hang of this capitalist thing.....:)

2. Oh...and if anyone is rich enough to have spare money they should lend it back to the government at a very low interest rate until the deficit is cleared................:angel5: :hitler:
1. We now use cheap Eastern European drivers.
2. After they have taken a black cab ride on a day trip to pay you under worked Cabbies.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Right, to keep things in perspective, let's talk numbers.

In the last 12 months I bought 741 litres of petrol at a total cost of £804. I know: I'm an obsessive nerd. I believe 62% of that is fuel tax/VAT. So I've paid some £498 in fuel tax plus £70 in road fund tax.

In my case, they would have to increase fuel tax by just £70/741 = 9.4p per litre to eliminate my road fund tax. Total fuel tax would increase from about 74.4p per litre to 83.8p; pump prices would rise from 120p per litre to 129.4p. Obviously you'd have to average this out over all road users, and YMMV as they say.

Putting 129.4p in context, during May petrol in Norway cost on average about 145p per litre; the Netherlands 136p; Denmark 131p. Maybe everyone should pop over to Bulgaria, Estonia or Latvia to fill up because petrol there costs well under a quid.

(Fuel prices taken from AA report.)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Beer, olive oil and Balsamic vinegar are all more expensive than fuel too. And, apart from balsamic vinegar, I consume more too.:D

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
What about adding a pound a pint and a pound on wine?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Just 'cos you're teetotal! :thebirdman: :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts