Honda XRV Forum banner

mongolia.

Tags
mongolia sta
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul-S 
#1 ·
hi folks, im new here and this is my first post, so please be gentle with me.
im new to the @ having had gs,s. for years.
so i,m after some advice re the bike.
im an experienced traveller by bike but as said on the gs.
ive bought a 2003 rd07 for a trip to mongolia and could do with some advice on the tools and spares etc i shoud be taking for the bike.
im only riding there and shipping the bike home, so about 6/7000 miles, also there should be very little off road as going through russia and not the stans.
things like puncture repair, pump and spare tubes etc are common sense and i already have them.
so are there any mods i need to be making or tools i need to get.
cheers paul.

#2 ·
Cool trip

Change the fuel pump from OEM to a facet item
H/d innertubes
either fit an uprated rec/reg or carry a spare
make sure brakes have been serviced (front ones can seize)

I am sure others will be along with more

When you go - WE WANT PICS!!!!!:thumbup:

#3 ·
It would also be worth getting it recabled or spare cables tied to the originals so in the event of a cable snap it would be easier to replace as the cable would not need routing or tank removal etc

Welcome to the madhouse

As said a good set of HD tubes and reasonable tyres to cope with varying terrain but still be good on the road. I use Heidenau K60s - they have stiff sidewalls so hard to change but good on and off road. They are harder compound so you should easily get the whole trip out of them

Remove, copperslip and refit all bolts / nuts so that they are not an issue on the trip

Obvious bits like wheel bearings

Other than that the bike should get you round the world

#4 ·
thanks for the advice,
the routting of spare cables, great idea! re the hd tubes, while looking at the forum people were advising that they would over heat on prolonged road use what do you think.
re the copper slip, are there any that shouldn't be copper slipped?
paul.

#5 ·
Good choice of bike:D
I used tubes and "slimed" them. No probs or vibes.
I changed ratios after doing a long trip and wish I'd done it before as the oil consumption and vibes were cut by the drop in revs.
The seat is ideal for those with leathery bottom ends - if you are the sensitive type some padding may be requred. I used a gel pad underneath grippy mat stuff from Wilko which improved comfort a bit and lasted for 9K miles before it looked this tatty

#6 ·
Good choice of bike:D
I used tubes and "slimed" them. No probs or vibes.
I changed ratios after doing a long trip and wish I'd done it before as the oil consumption and vibes were cut by the drop in revs.
The seat is ideal for those with leathery bottom ends - if you are the sensitive type some padding may be requred. I used a gel pad underneath grippy mat stuff from Wilko which improved comfort a bit and lasted for 9K miles before it looked this tatty
what did you change the ratios too?

#7 · (Edited)
Can't remember for sure but think I went 17 front 44 rear (believe standard is 16/46). Had to remove a chain link which is no real effort.

There is a lot of talk on here of only ever using Honda front sprockets (standard size only) as the splines on the output shaft are a bit delicate. If you are carrying lots of gear dropping 2 or 3 off the rear and keeping front standard may be a good compromise especially as reliability is going to be a priority.

I'm sure others here have done this and will be able to report whether worthwhile.

Oh and lube the choke cables and clean up where they fit into carbs and have a habit of getting stuck on. Be careful, the assembly has a delicate plastic nut which is a bit fiddly.

Oh and second the facet fuel pump and reg/rect recommendation - my reg went and my pump was not far off failure when replaced

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.