Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the Elan Valley this weekend, and spotted this TRO notice at one end of the Monk's Trod.

It states that this TRO expired in November 2011.

Does anyone have up-to-date information about the restrictions on the trail?

Iain

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Id also be interested to hear if this TRO is over? Anyone know? Really keen to get this trail done if its legal.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
The trod has been TRO'd for at least 5 years, probably more. It's a bloody disgrace how Powys get away with it. I'll post a thread on the TRF website and see if anyone has any idea what the state of play is.

You're not thinking of taking your @ through there are you Iain :toothy9:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Taken from the TRF website when a similar question was asked in Jan 2012.....

Just discussed on the phone with Powys CC ROW.

Monks Trod isn't open. The TTRO will expire this spring and plans are afoot to replace it with a permanent TRO banning ALL traffic. The reasoning being that Powys CC consider the route unsafe for ANY use.

However the surrounding land is covered by an open access agreement that will allow horses/cyclist/pedestrians to cross the area - just not on the route itself.

I was informed that to bring the route up to scratch (in order to reopen) will cost c£90,000 apparently. It is possible that the route may be opened to trailbikes in the future if this happens. Doubtless that complex issues pertain to this lane and reopening for sustainable trailbiking won't be simple.

Powys CC meeting report from December 2011........

http://www.powys.gov.uk/rep_2011-12-06c1_152a_en.pdf?id=47

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
It will cost far more than £90K to repair for bikes.

Option 1 - Repair for walkers/cyclists - £95,700.Option 2 - Repair for horse riders, horse-drawn vehicles, motorcycles &Option 1 - £298,500.00Option 3 - Repair Option 2 (excluding horse-drawn vehicles) - £200,000Option 4 - Permanent TRO for motor cyclists and horse-drawn vehicles​
Option 5 - Permanent TRO for all users

Cheers for the info bob.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I feel quite privileged to think I used to ride the Trod before all the hassle and unpleasantness started.

A big convoy of 4wd's went over and cut the route to bits one winter and then the problems started. After the primary route got churned up, the bikes started going wider and wider. Local lads on crossers all year round took no notice of restrictions and sadly Powys CC would not spend any money on the route in the 80's when it would have really helped.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The trod is just a bog now and i have heard it has a perminant TRO on it however i have seen people using it on bikes and quads totally ignoring the TRO considering the conditions up there i do think the TRO is justified it is a mess

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
The trod is just a bog now and i have heard it has a permanant TRO on it however i have seen people using it on bikes and quads totally ignoring the TRO considering the conditions up there i do think the TRO is justified it is a mess
I suspect you are right. If use had been kept to summer years ago, it would probably be usable still. It all comes down to policing it though, whether it's a voluntary or legal restriction. There will always be a few who screw it for everyone else.

We (Shrops TRF) lost a classic route in West Shropshire because of illegal use on a piece of "common" land adjacent to the RUPP/Byway by local kids on MX bikes and as a result all vehicle use got tarred with the same brush and in spite of a really good campaign, it was lost. My file was 4" thick. One good thing that seemed to come out of it was that the Councillor who led the move to stop up the route never had any success with the RoW dept again as he had cost them a huge sum of money as all of the User groups worked really well together led by the TRF and the Byways Trust rep. And the illegal use....? It still goes on

·
Red Blooded Biker
916 Posts
I remember riding the Trod while on the Bracken Rally back in 1997. It wasn't easy to follow the route even back then

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I suspect you are right. If use had been kept to summer years ago, it would probably be usable still. It all comes down to policing it though, whether it's a voluntary or legal restriction. There will always be a few who screw it for everyone else.

We (Shrops TRF) lost a classic route in West Shropshire because of illegal use on a piece of "common" land adjacent to the RUPP/Byway by local kids on MX bikes and as a result all vehicle use got tarred with the same brush and in spite of a really good campaign, it was lost. My file was 4" thick. One good thing that seemed to come out of it was that the Councillor who led the move to stop up the route never had any success with the RoW dept again as he had cost them a huge sum of money as all of the User groups worked really well together led by the TRF and the Byways Trust rep. And the illegal use....? It still goes on
This is what all these people trying to stop us using these lanes dont understand when a tro is put in place the only people that it stops are the leagal riders the illeagal ones causing most of the problems carry on as normal

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Trod was never suitable for large adventure bikes or 4x4s far to soft and swampy.But should never have been closed to trail riders ,powys council seem to have no idea how much they have cost the economy with there byway closures.Lanes such as Sairn Helen and The Gap road were suitable to all users and should still be open .The money wasted on turning The Gap into a wide footpath is nothing short of criminal and Sairn never had wear and tear problems with its rocky base.The Monks Trod looks just the same after 22 yrs of TRO a muddy scared track in the middle of nowhere just like one hundred years ago.Welsh councils need to wake up to the fact that trail riding was a good thing.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I have heard the TRO has been lifted on the Gap road but the TRF are advising users to stick to the original TRO dates of use they think it is an attempt from the nation park to allow it to get over used on purpose so they can use it as an excuse to close it perminantly

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as i know all features of this once fantastic lane are gone ,bulldozed the lot .I have yet to see for myself but i am told it could be ridden on a GSXR Suzuki.This complete waste of tax payers money is happening all over the country in the name of what,keeping bloody ramblers happy as if they havent got enough paths already.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Its still a challenging lane the dip on the south end is still there and a washout 3ft deep on the one side of it from the heavy rain we've had over the last year or two. The rock steps going up to the highest point have gone but it is still full of loose rock most of the way up on the north end i wouldn't want to do it on a big trail bike
The nation park is trying to turn it into a cycle route they spent thousands on it all we wanted was permission to ride it. it wouldn't have cost them a penny they have done the same with the north end of Grwyne Fawr and removed the motorcycle rights that was on it.:mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the update Fred ,so not quite as bad as i had heard just the main feature gone.Those rock steps were great fun and a real challenge when covered in snow and ice oh fond memories.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
been trying to find a photo this is the best i got of the graded rock steps

And the gully which is very bad around the bend on the opposite side now. I definitely wouldn't do it in this direction on my own now :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts