Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The frozen puddles were bit of a lottery. Some of them gave way and others didn't which made for a few interesting moments.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Looks like you had a good day, did you not get cold enough last weekend? :D

Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you had a good day, did you not get cold enough last weekend? :D

Andy.
I stayed away from river crossings this time. Lesson learned.

For now at least :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's no longer cold. So welcome to the world of mud

Reactions: AckAckFlack

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice one Boris, out of interest how do you find your routes as I was led to believe that 'rights of way' are not marked in Scotland?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nice one Boris, out of interest how do you find your routes as I was led to believe that 'rights of way' are not marked in Scotland?
Well strictly speaking in Scotland there are only 2 or 3 rights of way but I tend to work on the premise that assuming I don't make a nuisance of myself then I can pretty much go anywhere.
I just scour the OS maps (new and old) for tracks and maps and along with Google and Microsoft aerial photos you can usually find a few places for starters. Once in the area I just investigate likely side trails I see along the way. I tend to stay away from marked footpaths and won't stray into fields unless there is a clear track that links two trails. To avoid the wrath of farmers I avoid crops and livestock.

Basically I just make it up as I go along. Leave gates as I find them and most of all stop and talk to people. If you chat to them and let them know you are the equivalent of a motorised rambler and have no intention of tearing up the place they tend to go away happy. I've even had farmers telling me about some good trails.

No doubt one day there'll be a complaint but so far so good :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Well strictly speaking in Scotland there are only 2 or 3 rights of way but I tend to work on the premise that assuming I don't make a nuisance of myself then I can pretty much go anywhere.
I just scour the OS maps (new and old) for tracks and maps and along with Google and Microsoft aerial photos you can usually find a few places for starters. Once in the area I just investigate likely side trails I see along the way. I tend to stay away from marked footpaths and won't stray into fields unless there is a clear track that links two trails. To avoid the wrath of farmers I avoid crops and livestock.

Basically I just make it up as I go along. Leave gates as I find them and most of all stop and talk to people. If you chat to them and let them know you are the equivalent of a motorised rambler and have no intention of tearing up the place they tend to go away happy. I've even had farmers telling me about some good trails.

No doubt one day there'll be a complaint but so far so good :)
Nice work dude :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it was pissing rain here so a plan was hatched to recce some gravel trails as Adi was looking for somewhere easier to take Mish on her 125. Things started well then kind of degenerated in to another mud bath.

Oh well. It was good fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts