Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone wise and knowledgeable can help with this.

I went to replace the little "position" bulb under the headlight on my Dommie because the bulb was blown. Turned out not to be the bulb but a loose wire somewhere. While I was pulling things apart I found this (see picture). At first I thought it was original wiring as the connector ends look original and neatly done but on closer examination the black sheathing is just black insulating tape wound around. The question is the loose tail - what does it do?

As if by magic, having connected it all back together (except the loose tail that had nowhere to go), both indicators on the left side stopped working. The flasher unit clicks (but at double speed) but no lights. I've swapped all the indicator bulbs around and it's definitely not the bulbs.

Coincidence? Probably not. It looks like this extra bit of wiring was done to fix a break somewhere in indicator world. I just don't know how to get it all working again. There's no obvious female bullet connector for the male to plug in so it looks like it was just jammed in somewhere. I have a multimeter but wouldn't have the first clue how to go about fault finding / testing with it to figure out the solution.

Any help or guidance gratefully received!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I would say it is a ground its connected to the green wire going to the male and female connectors and it is common to have insulation tape on the wiring harness joints, there probably was a sleeve over the whole lot at some point in time

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have added, that short length with the plastic connectors fits between the position light and the loom, don’t understand how it would affect the indicators But if I grounded that male bullet against the frame, maybe the left indicators will work? Worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I should have added, that short length with the plastic connectors fits between the position light and the loom, don’t understand how it would affect the indicators But if I grounded that male bullet against the frame, maybe the left indicators will work? Worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before you dig any deeper it’s worth checking all the multi plugs are connected correctly. I managed to unintentionally separate mine on the side of the frame a while back and didn’t spot it.

What colour is the single wire, it’s hard to make out in the picture?
Is it spliced into one on the other two wires under the tape or snipped short?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you dig any deeper it’s worth checking all the multi plugs are connected correctly. I managed to unintentionally separate mine on the side of the frame a while back and didn’t spot it.

What colour is the single wire, it’s hard to make out in the picture?
Is it spliced into one on the other two wires under the tape or snipped short?
It's green Ian, same as one of the two others. I'll remove the tape and see what;s underneath.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It's green Ian, same as one of the two others. I'll remove the tape and see what;s underneath.
No need to remove the tape i'm 100% certain the green wire with the bullet connector on is soldered to the green wire going between the two connectors, its probably providing a ground for whatever it used to be plugged into which could affect the indicators. Get some spare fuses just in case its not :LOL:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two wires from the position / side light end in a male connector that used to fit a female connector into the loom (or vice versa, don't remember exactly right now..). The piece in my pic just fits between the two. The side light works with or without this extra length. I'm struggling to figure out why this would affect the left-side indicators and where should the bullet connector go?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The end of the tale...

On Saturday I had another go. First I replaced the flasher unit with a spare I got from eBay. No change: indicators worked on the right but not on left side of the bike, flasher unit clicking double-time on the left.

Then I refitted the length of cable in my earlier pic. I still couldn't find an obvious home for the mystery green wire with the male bullet; I tried holding it against the frame to ground it, I tried jamming it into one of the connectors to the front-right indicators. Still nothing. so I left it loose.

Then suddenly the left indicators started working again! I can only conclude there's a loose / frayed wire somewhere along the line, all my fiddling with the position light connections in the first place must have dislodged it but now putting everything back together had remade the connection.

The bike is back together, everything works and if it fails its MOT on Saturday, it won't be because of a lack of indicators. Obviously I have not got to the root cause of the problem and it may recur, but for now the bike is back on the road. I even cleaned it ready for MOT-time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The end of the tale...

On Saturday I had another go. First I replaced the flasher unit with a spare I got from eBay. No change: indicators worked on the right but not on left side of the bike, flasher unit clicking double-time on the left.

Then I refitted the length of cable in my earlier pic. I still couldn't find an obvious home for the mystery green wire with the male bullet; I tried holding it against the frame to ground it, I tried jamming it into one of the connectors to the front-right indicators. Still nothing. so I left it loose.

Then suddenly the left indicators started working again! I can only conclude there's a loose / frayed wire somewhere along the line, all my fiddling with the position light connections in the first place must have dislodged it but now putting everything back together had remade the connection.

The bike is back together, everything works and if it fails its MOT on Saturday, it won't be because of a lack of indicators. Obviously I have not got to the root cause of the problem and it may recur, but for now the bike is back on the road. I even cleaned it ready for MOT-time!
My two pence.....
If it happens again change the lamps on the faulty side. Make sure the lamp holders are spotless. I sometimes use some copper grease on the mating parts of the lamps.
Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts