Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some of the modification I have done to my Africa Twin to set it up for touring here in Asia. Some good ideas, or maybe I have way too much time on my hands ???? ....:rofl

The bike itself, a year 2000 AT with about 96,000 kilometers on it.

Replaced all the turn signal lights with yamaha XT ones. The stock Honda ones look pretty dated, and break easily.Also rewired the rear lights to stay on as running lights, the same as the front lights. Adds a lot of visibility. Also put in HID headlights. They work
great, turn night into day.

Added a second stock fan on the left side for bogging through mud in hot season here. It is set up with a manual switch. I did have to pull the aluminum radiator out and weld on mounting tabs so it is exactly the same mounting as the stock fan on the right side.

Weld on a fat foot for stopping on loose dirt.

Also weld on a hoop to make it easier to kick out with a muddy boot.

Welded on a lever to help put the bike up on the center stand. Now it center stands with almost no effort. The little angle tab that is stock is just too difficult when the bike is loaded and you are tired. Also nearly impossible if you have a flat tire.

Made a copy of a Givi crash bar and powder coated it texture black. Now when it crashes , some flat black paint and it looks like new again...

Larger aluminum rack for carrying a single bag. Designed by me.

Bosch two tone car horns. Essential for Asia..

Wavy front brake rotors. Stock ones tend to warp so hope these will last longer. Much better stopping power as well.

A plate I had made to stop the lip of the front fender from catching on the bash plate if you hit a large pothole at speed.
Do not ask me how I know this........

Bar risers, makes for a much more comfortable sitting position. Also the fan over ride switches can be seen.

Trail tech trip meter, the stock trip meter is not really water proof, and pretty quick to die.

Acerbis bark busters with BMW grips. I spent some time and was able to put the stock vibration dampeners back in the handle bars.

A low mount Remus pipe that sits just below the boxes.

Connecting pipe and heat shield was made by a local shop.

Normally the touratech boxes are asymmetrical, with the right side box sticking out on the outside of the high pipe. I dropped the pipe below the boxes, and then had the touratech zaga frame cut and rewelded closer so now both boxes are even. So I use 35 liter boxes on both sides.

Had to cut off the small little frames to keep your foot on the pegs as it was in the way of the new center stand lever. So just went ahead and powder coated both sides.

Of course got rid of the wimpy stock fuel pump that always fails, and put in a Faucet fuel pump. Very quiet, and fits exactly into the stock mount.

Welded some frames onto the stock pegs to make them bigger for my big feet.

Bagster tank bra and bag. Now do not need to worry about scratching up the giant tank.

Custom seat I had made at a local shop. 12 hours in the saddle??? No problem. Cost was about 30 US dollars.

Put in a three light voltmeter. If your regulator fails and you are not aware of it, it will cook the entire electrical system on your bike. Do not ask how I know this. The meter is on the upper left above the stock panel lights.

You can also see the Garmin 450 mount. I like to have the GPS low and in the center. If you have a major crash, that is the best place for it to survive.

Am also getting tired of replacing regulators. So now have put in a MOSFET heavy duty regulator. Fits right on the stock holes and the panel goes right over it. The stock wiring setup is fundamentally flawed. They made the mistake of putting the main fuse in the same connector as the starter solenoid. So pull those two wires out, and put in a separate heavy duty 30 amp fuse holder there instead. That is the red one in the photo. Now your starter solenoid plug will last forever. Also hard wire everything in the charging circuit. I think the plugs that Honda used were simply not heavy duty enough, as they routinely burn up.

I have changed the stock rear shock to to a YSS shock. I also re-valved the front springs, has a lot firmer feel going into corners. Dropped the front forks in the triple clamp about 3/8 of an inch, really sharpens up the steering.

Got tired of screwing around with the wimpy stock plastic choke valve guides. So bought the aluminum replacement ones from Rugged Roads. No more cross threading...

Not really a bling kind of guy, but when my stock chain guard cracked, I had a local shop whip out a copy of the Shiny Bits chain guard. Easier then ordering a new one... :)

A pretty standard mod, a taller Lazer windshield I added in later.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice mods.What kind of xenon kit did you use, those with moving bulbs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One....more...little....thing.... Stainless spokes !!!! This bike was submerged in muddy water for three days a few years ago and the spokes never quite recovered. So have the spokes coming from England with a friend in a couple of months. After that I am not sure what I will do with my time. ;)

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Nice mods - more practical than looks which makes them even better - good job! :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nice work.

That's a really well thought out set of mods, and well executed. I particularly like the lowered exhaust can: I can't stand the ali boxes sticking out so far, and lowering the can seems the obvious solution if you can live with the reduced wading clearance (no good for Beddowsm then!). Although most of the mods aren't bling, I bet you appreciate them every time you use the bike. And they make it more reliable. Much better to personalise than just buy boxes of shiny toys. I feel goaded to get on with mine, now.

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts
Great Mods n nice bike, I know what you can do with your spare time, Go on lots of trips and enjoy yourself on a lovely bike.
Regards Terry :blob8:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike has essentially evolved over time. Meaning I would go on a long trip, and come back and decide what was needed to make the bike better. Fabrication costs here in Thailand are quite low for welding , machining, and painting. So that is the path I took instead of ordering boxes of bolt on parts.
One last small thing. I was in Phnom Penh during heavy rain in the city. There was perhaps two feet of water on the roads, and the small bikes were flooded out and stopped. I figured I would blast on by them. Wrong..... As soon as I hit the water with a bit of speed, the bike stalled instantly, and I had to push it out. As the bike is normally VERY waterproof, when I got back home I took off the air box to see what happened. I realized that the air box was not seating enough on the carbs. You would never know it, until you hit some water which was sucked into the carbs.... The problem was the two ears on the frame that the air box mounts to were slightly too high, thus preventing the air box from fully seating down before you tighten the clamps.
The solution is to grind down some of the top of the ears just above the welded on nut. This will allow the box to seat. To test if your air box is seating is simple. Remove the three bolts that hold it down, but do not loosen the clamps. Then try to gently pull it off. If it comes right off it is not seated. If it takes a bit of effort to pull it off , then the clamps are sealing properly. Or spray WD 40 or carb cleaner around the intakes. If the engine speeds up, they are leaking.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
Great looking mods, as for what to do with your time ............. can I send you my AT?:happy7:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Now THAT is what I call a properly modifed AT. Everything done to make it useable without resorting to the Touratech catalogue! Really well thought out and not a bodge in sight...You can be proud of that work ;-)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You do like your welder! I bought a MIG a couple of years back and it's never been out the box! Nice mods. Right colour! How about a national rally in Thailand? :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
In the interests of full disclosure, I feel it is only fair to tell you guys that I am a former certified welder. So it is pretty easy for me to walk into a shop here, sketch out what I want, and then tell the guy exactly how to do it. Always impresses the Thais, whom I think sometimes feel that the skill level of foreigners extends only to drinking beer and having fun.....
If there is interest, I can add more detailed pictures of the center stand arm, showing it in the up position and with measurements as well. It works so well it is amazing.
Guess we could have a mini rally here... :) There are about 12 ATs that I know of, and probably a bunch more under the radar.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Great mods......

the obvious solution if you can live with the reduced wading clearance (no good for Beddowsm then!).
Nope, no good for me. I need more ground clearance for some of the 'puddles' I go through. Could do with a button that raises the entire bike another 6 feet off the ground.:D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've always considered your AT to be one of the best sorted ATs on the road. Seriously impressed! :thumbright:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here is the latest incarnation of my seat, as the seaming on the old one was starting to come apart. This one cost about 70 US dollars, and a fair amount of my time at the shop shaping it for the Thai guy. He normally covers small bike seats, and had a hard time understanding being on a motorcycle seat for 10 hours.....

Here are some pictures showing the detailing of the arm on the center stand, along with a tape measure . Up position from a side view.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts