Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question but......when changing all my rear bearings last time home, I noticed the main retaining nut on the rear axial is starting to round off. Do I have to get an entire new nut and bolt set, or can I just nip down the local hardware shop/auto supplier and get a similar one, providing the threads match etc?:confused:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Come on........... somebody answer the man.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know if it's ok or not, presumably the nut has to be the right tensile strength. I know we're not supposed to replace important things like brake disc bolts and lever pivots, I'm guessing that axle nuts are important too.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Probably a stupid question but......when changing all my rear bearings last time home, I noticed the main retaining nut on the rear axial is starting to round off. Do I have to get an entire new nut and bolt set, or can I just nip down the local hardware shop/auto supplier and get a similar one, providing the threads match etc?:confused:
Well, I have to say that I would not think twice about putting another nut on if the original had got mangled by open ended spanner use! As long as you torque it up correctly and it is the same type of locking but, I cannot see any problem.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Come on........... somebody answer the man.:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sorry...sorry.....only just seen this one. :confused:

If you do mean the nut (rather than the spindle...axle to some folk) is damaged,then simply replace it with another.

However,make sure you don`t replace a self locking nut with a plain nut.

A self locking nut will be like a Nyloc but with a metal spring insert.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Not all nuts and bolts are the same quality. An original can't be that expensive (even a Honda) can it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts