Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I know little enough about, I've always just used the recommended fitments on whatever bike I've had and I've only ever had 1 bike with radials (Honda Hornet).
Here's my question;
I have a friend with a gsx750f, the newer type with the curvy body and the pointy tail and it takes radials as standard. It appears basically the same as the previous version which took crossplys. His dealer has gone and fitted a crossply pirelli to the back and left the radial on the front. this seems like a load of b*****x to me. I'm told that that combination is dangerous and even illegal in some places although not here.
So.........
Should I advise him to get a full set of radials or will a set of crossplys (a change to the front) be a reasonable alternative.
He's not my favourite person in the world but he's married to my sister in law and it would be awkward if he died unnecessarily:argue: .
Can any of you highly knowledgable geeks, sorry, technoheads help me?

G

·
This is something I know little enough about, I've always just used the recommended fitments on whatever bike I've had and I've only ever had 1 bike with radials (Honda Hornet).
Here's my question;
I have a friend with a gsx750f, the newer type with the curvy body and the pointy tail and it takes radials as standard. It appears basically the same as the previous version which took crossplys. His dealer has gone and fitted a crossply pirelli to the back and left the radial on the front. this seems like a load of b*****x to me. I'm told that that combination is dangerous and even illegal in some places although not here.
So.........
Should I advise him to get a full set of radials or will a set of crossplys (a change to the front) be a reasonable alternative.
He's not my favourite person in the world but he's married to my sister in law and it would be awkward if he died unnecessarily:argue: .
Can any of you highly knowledgable geeks, sorry, technoheads help me?
ZR front with VB/V/H rear is dangerous and as you said illegal in a lot of countries including the UK. The other way is fine.

Unless he's doing a lot of really high speeds (check the speed ratings at the end of the post) then a V or even a H rated tyre is gonna be fine with the only difference tyre life (they wear out faster)

Kymmy :cool:

·
Registered
316 Posts
So its definite then. He should get a J rated Crossply Pirelli for the rear instead and he should go for a ride tonight, now in fact, on the coast road, near the cliffs :D

Is it as lovely in Cork at the moment as it is here?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kymmy, you’re an angel,:) I knew someone would have some advice.
Thanks Ralphie, you’re just useless.:rolleyes:
And yes, the weather here was s***e too , when I was posting I was waiting and wondering would my wife make it home. The rain, high tide and low pressure meant that the ferry had stopped running and when that happens the bridge sometimes isn’t far behind. I could’ve been marooned! And I hadn't gone to Lidl yet,
and the beer's getting low,
and I'd miss my girl.:love3:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Jeez I know you Cork boys are supposed to be slower than us city slickers but a week waitin for a reply to that ?:confused: :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts