Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been planning this solo trip to follow a few of the Moroccan stages of the Dakar shortly after arriving back
home from a supported trip with www.Moto Morocco last September.
That was my first visit to Morocco and i enjoyed it so much that i couldn't wait to go back.
The Dakar seemed like a good excuse so i started to plan
To hear that it had been cancelled the day before it was due to start and the day before i was due
to leave was a kick in the goolies but i decided to at least ride down to Tarifa before deciding if i would "cross over".

Sat 5th Jan
Left early for the long ride down to Tarifa....was looking at a 6-7 hour ride.Cold start to the day that got
colder as i climbed up towards Granada.Got to 1370 metres and it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Warmed up as i headed down towards the coast,past Gibraltar and on to Tarifa.As i was in sight of Tarifa a sense of
excitment hit me as i looked over the straits of Gib to see the mountains of Morocco.I was following 2 German reg
bikes at this stage and decided to show off by standing on the pegs as i over took them on a sweeping downward
right hander......as i passed them i saw 2 Gaurda Civil police standing in the road flagging me down.Got a 63euro
on the spot fine for that.(I really am a tosser)
Stayed here for the night.34 euros single room with breekie

Had a walk down to the port in the dark to see what was going on and was surprised to see loads of 4+4 off roaders,
a queue of bikes revving up ready to be first to ride up the ramp of the ferry and a massive truck.In the dark with all
the noise and smell of petrol i got fired up and was ready to take the following day's early ferry.
Had a walk round to find some food and spotted this place."El Motero" means "The Biker".The Isle of Man 3 legged symbol
caught my eye so i went over.

It turned out to be a kebab shop...hmmm.

I rolled up my left trouser leg,showed him my tatoo and asked him if i could have a discount.

No discount but we had a good laugh and chat about bikes and the TT.He knew loads about Joey Dunlop,Dave Jeffries,
Barry Sheen......

Sun 6th Jan.Up nice and early.Loaded the bike and rode the 400 metres down to the port.Within 5 minutes of entering
the port i had paid the 62euros for the single ticket and was being hurriedly ushered onto the ferry....before i knew what
was happening the bike was strapped down and i was on the deck looking back at Spain.

As we docked in Tanger and i was struggling with the rachet that held the bike firmly in place i noticed this guy and his friend

This is a 650cc 1982 Ural back-end Honda front-end vegetable-oil powered bike that is going around the world to promote nuetral C02
transport.Eccentric!
His name is Henning and his friend is Simon riding a more usable Yamaha XT600.They were to be my Danish travelling companions
for the following 2 days.They were doing some filming on the way for a Danish TV station.
He also tried to ride a bike up Mt Everest a few years back.He got to over 5,000 metres i think before he fell out with his support
team and abandoned the attempt.Check out his site. www.ppo-mc-global-tour.dk

Some pics waiting at customs in Tanger

Got thru customs after about a 3 hour wait....during which the 3 of us decided to travel south together towards Casablanca.
Set off under dark skies with me leading.....little did i realise at the time that that would be the best place to be in this little group
as the smell from riding behind the Ural is like riding behind a chippie.
Headed south for a few hours before 2 of us needed to stop for fuel.In doing so we bumped into a bunch of Brit...and 1 Irish...bikers

Turns out they all had their bikes trucked down to Malaga by BikeTruck and were doing a little tour.Turned out it would'nt be the last
time we bumped into them.They got the name"The BikeTruck Gang"....and thats Gnasher with the TA who posts on this site.
The Ural had to leave the motorway to find a superrmarket for his refuel.
We headed off towards Casablanca turning off the motorway just north of Mohammedia at the Bouznika exit then turned left
onto the B322 where we found an apartment complex.We paid about 90euros between the 3 of us for a 2 bed.kitchen and garden flat for the night.
Mon.7th Jan.Next morning after the Ural was given the once over and a dollop of veg oil i took the lead and we headed for Marrakech via the new motorway.

We stopped in a service station for a coffee and saw the BikeTruckGang ride by.After a few more hours on the motorway we pulled off
onto the national road to head into Marrakech and after a while we saw some plumes of dust to our left and realised it was a small group of
bikers mucking about on a dirt track...so we rode over to check it out.It was a small group of the BikeTruck Gang who had decided to
break away from the rest of the group.We played around at off roading for a while before the others got on the road while we found a
small muddy village for the Danish lads to take some footage for the documentary they were putting together.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got into Marrakech and found the Ibis Hotel.
My room in the Ibis in Marrakech
Parked bikes then had shower before going out for dinner in the square.Nightmare of a taxi ride there.The eating area there
is outside in the square and what with the hustle and bustle of the place,the steam from cooking food rising up into the air,
the smells,the brightly lit food stalls,street entertainers and drug pushers it was quite a surprise for my 2 Danish friends.
We ate in silence watching everything.No pics of that but the place has a lot of atmosphere.We let the waiter just bring
us a few different rounds of food because none of us had a clue as to what to order.Cost next to nothing.Another nightmare
taxi ride back to the hotel and a couple of cold beers.We spoke about riding over the Tizi n Tichka pass and having lunch
there the following day
Tues.8th Jan.Up early for breakfast.Paid bill for single room.About 40euros.Stashed some breakfast goodies into a bag for
later before i took the lead following my gps and getting lost before finally getting onto the N9 heading for the hills.About halfway
there i was passed by a KTM990 and 640 so i chased them.I caught and passed the 640 and stayed on the 990's tail.That was a great ride.It turned out to be the Bike Truck Gang AGAIN.

After a while we had all grouped up again and i became last man.As we were going thru a really twistie section
the Ural took a fall on a blind hairpin bend.I came round just after and almost run into him.No damage was done other than the riders pride.Remember!
This man had ridden halfway up Mt. Everest.
One of the BikerTruck Gang rode back and stopped any oncoming traffic while i helped pick the bike up.That thing weighs a ton!
We all set off again up to the summit where the BikeTruck Gang headed on to Quarzazate while we stopped for lunch.I also
swapped bikes with Henning and rode up for the last few miles.

Not the type of bike i would want to travel too far on.
Its here i said good bye to Henning and happily gave him his bike back for his return trip to Marrakech.His friend Simon on the Yamaha XT was coming
with me to do some serious off road riding down to Ait Benhaddou.I had taken this route last September with www.MotoMorocco.com.
After leaving the summit heading towards Quarzazate you find a track on the left about 1 or 2 miles from the top.This takes you towards Quarzazate
off road.After the first 10 miles of gravel track you hit about 20 miles of serious off road riding.
Quite difficult for a newbie on a big bike.....this time i managed to do it with a full load of luggage and rear strapped on the back.I know a man who
done it 2 up with his girlfriend...what a brave girl!

We arrived at Ait Benhaddou tired and thirsty.This is where the film Gladiator was made.
It was getting late now so i said goodbye to Simon as he headed on back to Marrakech via
the tarmac route to catch up with
his friend for the rest of their trip.
It seemed i was alone for the first time since i arrived in Morocco.I stopped for lunch.
then headed the 15 odd miles into Quarzazte to find a hotel.As i was riding round
checking out the hotels,4 or 5 bikers pulled me over and asked me if i knew where a certain hotel was.I told them i didnt but was
looking for one myself so could i follow.No problem!When we arrived at the hotel i realised it was the BikeTruck Gang again.We had dinner
together in what turned out to be a completely empty hotel.The following morning Gnasher needed a bump start as his battery
must have been as old as his 20 year old steed

They all set off for Zagora while i decided to stay another night before heading south west to Tan Tan.
Anyway...i was not gonna ride with this bike.I will make no comment on the next sequence of pics.The GS is a decent bike albeit at an expensive price...
but i think this is abit OTT

One of the group,Paul,said he might come back to join me for the 2 day trip i planned down
to Tan Tan.I didnt expect to see him again but at 6 that evening he came back as he didn't
want to head back to Malaga as the rest of the BikeTruck Gang were planning.
During my day in Quarzazate i got the rear tyre put on at Wilderness Wheels for 15euros.
Very profesional too.I was very impressed when he pulled out his botttle of talcum powder
and put in in the tyre before the new tube went in.He never had a 24mm socket to take the
rear off but luckily i had brought one with me which i had back in the hotel.A short quad ride
there and back meant he had the tools to do the job.

He made it look so fcuking easy.
I had abit of fun messing about on the local roads after.

A Kawasaki 750 flew by me while i was taking some pics.Later i found them both at the side of
the road staring down at this

I gave them a cargo net i had with me to hold the rear cowling on as the shredded tyre knocked it off.
They didnt seem to appreciate it.I said be careful,jumped on the bike and left them in a dust cloud as
i spun the rear wheel in their faces for not showing any signs of thanks.I almost took the cargo net
back off them...ungrateful gits.(they were very shifty)
Anyway,i headed back to the hotel feeling i was alone for the first time.I was having dinner when i heard
Paul pulled up on his BMW Dakar 650.
Still not alone it seems.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thurs.10th Jan.

Paid bill...about 80euros for 2 nights...then the pair of us set off south towards Foum Zguid via the N10 and R111.We came across this fuel stop built
for an american film.My first thoughts were to stop smoking the waccy baccy.

Had lunch at Foum Zguid then fuelled up and carried on towards Tata on the N12

Stopped in Tata for a coffee then decided to carry on to Akka before refueling.
Bad move as there was no fuel there.We asked the local police how far to next
fuel and they told us about 30kms so we carried on.Turned out we either missed
it or the police lied.As we left Akka it was beginning to get dark so we were hoping
to find a hotel on the way.No luck until Taghjicht.By the time we reached this tiny
village i had rode 227 miles since my last refuel....things were getting desperate
for Paul as he only had a 17litre tank and had been on reserve for the last 50 miles.
We were both riding at about 40mph to conserve fuel.....i had my reserve to go onto
which i think would give me another 30 odd miles.If thats the case then the
Africa Twin could go more than 260 miles between fuel.
We eventually came across a hotel as we entered Taghjict on the left.We were both
hungry cold and tired and the hotel seemed ideal.The following morning we realised it
was a complete shit hole.Though at the time it was heaven...even though i slept with my
clothes on.
The following picture doesnt convey the sense of relief or humour.Paul had ridden
about 320 miles since leaving Quazazate only to arrive at the hotel and crash into a sofa....
i was pissing myself laughing.

We had some food and cold beers before going to our pit.Next morning we were up and out early...
it was very cold.
Bill please....about 20euros each including food and beers.Notice the sofa has been put back in
its original position

Fri.11th Jan.
Our plan was to get Paul and myself some much needed fuel.100 yards down the road we found this place.

We both got a couple of litres that would at least get Paul to the next clean fuel stop.
The man tried to charge us 1500 dirhams which is a hell or alot of money for 4 litres.
We ended up paying 52 dirhams after explaining his mistake.The man seemed completely
stoned at 8 a.m.
We arrived at Bouizarne an hour later where we could refuel and eat.

We continued south west to Guelmim.This was going to be a stage for the Dakar.After more
coffee and some shopping we continued on to Tan Tan then the beach at El Quatia where we found a camping/bungalow site.
We stayed here for 2 nights.

We spent the day doing nothing.....chilling out on the beach.Paul had this cool little travel computer...tough as you like.

Brought a photo of my best friend.She went to the big kennel in the sky last May.

Later we went for a ride and found beach riding is hard work.
Luckily for me these kids came to help dig me out of the sand.Paul had gone off and found
his own problems in the sand.

Later that day we decided beach riding,with or without air in the tyres was just too bloody
hard so we found a piste that followed the coast.
I gave Paul my camera and explained how to use the zoom.He didnt listen.

Use the zoom Paul

Paul!Use the zoom mate!

Sun.13th Jan.Paul was undecided where to go......I had come as far south as i wanted and was considering my route back north.
Paul had a nice surprise the previous night when a bunch of old British reg. cars came onto the site.

They were the Plymouth to Banjul charity car run....on their way to Dakar.That was enough for Paul.
He went with them and i havent heard from him since.By 9 that morning i was alone.
More to come.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sun.13th Jan.Said goodbye to Paul as he headed off south with the Banjul Gang and then i packed and paid for the bungalow ready to go.
Two nights with breekie about 70euros.Decided to head up to Guelmim on the piste we were on yesterday.It was very very misty so i took
a right turn on to another piste and Headed to Tan Tan.

At the entrance to Tan Tan.Can you see the camels in the mist?

Uneventful ride up to Guelmim.The mist soon cleared.Fueled in Guelmim then headed towards Tiznit on the N1 where i stopped for the
obligatary tangin lunch.Onwards to Agadir.Lovely tarmac road all the way.Following the gps it took me through Agadir at rushhour.Slow
and noisy after a nice ride.Got through the centre and onto the coast road.It was getting on abit now and i was feeling tired.The road
is really good although i couldn't appreciate it as i had had a long day in the saddle.I got as far as Tamri before i found a hotel for the night.
Parked for the night

View from bedroom.

Some Moroccan scaffolding
Mon.14th Jan.Paid early and left.They tried to charge me less than 15 euros for a clean room(shared bathroom)beautiful
dinner and a big breakfast.
I said it sounded too cheap so they increased it to 16euros.I gave the night watchman some change and left after a good
nights sleep and a belly full of good food for just over a tenner.....sorted!

The day started clear with a few dark clouds on the horizon.I found myself back on the road that the night before i couldn't
appreciate.Today i could....and i was in the groove.What a wonderful road.Even though the bike was loaded with its panniers,
large Ortlieb bag and tyre(i was still carrying the old one....just for appearances sake!)i was flying through these beautiful curvy
ashpalt roads...and the bike felt as light as a feather...turning into the corners with such ease,almost no traffic in my direction,
the bike was straining at the leash.It felt absolutley perfect.I was setting it up into the corners...knocking it down a gear...listening
to the exhast barking away,and then down another gear,letting the engine do the breaking,sometimes just dabbing the front brake
and letting the custom made stainless steel brake hoses earn their money.I was hanging off the ****ing bike entering some of
those wide open bends...left arse-cheek sliding to the left then over to the right as the bike followed.Hairs on my neck standing up
as i booted an Africa Twin out of fast corners as much as it is possible to boot an @ out of corners.Was i gonna step off this bike
talking Italian like Rossi...or Spanish like Marc Coma? ****ed if i knew but i was having the best ride of my life and i knew it.

What a bike...and what a great road.The N1 between Agadir and Essaouira.

After a while i had to stop for a rest and wallow in the adrenalin rush.
Took these pics after a 20dirham negociation.Then he let me have a farrow....
hard work mate,i can tell you.Should have got a pic of that...

I carried on riding towards Essaouira but took a left turn after Had Smimou which took me onto a piste.The reason i took this track is,obviously to do
some trail/piste riding, but also to look for the ruins of an old Arab fort.I remember reading a story of some white sailors being shiwrecked off the coast
of Maurutania 200 years ago and sold as slaves.They ended up here after walking from Maurutania.Anyway....didn't find that but stumbled across this
in Diaba.

Jimi Hendrix lived in Diaba for 5 years back in the 60s,he used to come here.
The owner proudly told me he slept on the floor in this room for 10 days....not sure if he woke up during those 10 days.

That was unexpected.Contemporary history innit!
Had a coffee then followed track into Essoauira.Dossed about the port for half hour before hitting the road again towards Casablanca.
The clouds had come in from the sea now and covered all the coast line.That was my direction.I felt a drop of rain on my lip which made me feel alive...as though i needed rain on my lips to make me feel alive after the ride i had just had.I was still buzzing from that.Had a choice to make here.Follow the slow coast road,take the slightly faster N1 or head towards Marrakech in the direction of the clear blue sky then a fast dash up the motorway to Casablanca,hopefully avoiding the threat of rain.I let my left thumb decide...as i got onto the road out of Essaouira i passed the coast road without indicating left and continued up to the junction of the N1.Left thumb turned indicator so i turned left onto the N1.I wished i hadn't because it pissed down.I stopped 4 times because of rain.Each time having its own little story...the old woman offering me a piece of plastic to keep dry...the old man offering me mint tea..I got soaked.The tarmac became red with the mud from the tracks at the side of the road.
After what seemed like forever i found myself in the Ibis Hotel in El Jadida cold,hungryand wet.
From this point on my journey home would be by motorway to Tanger.It was at this point i felt like the trip was over.I only had the motorway to look forward to.
Tues.15th Jan.Nothing of interest between ElJadida and Tanger except a car crash on the motorway.One corspe at the roadside.....
Lots of speed traps around Rabat.
Straight through the line of "helpers and ticket sellers" in the port at Tanger.
Went into auto pilot at customs...no help...no probs.

Goodbye Tanger and Morocco

Hello Spain

My trip back from Tarifa to Alicante was the worst trip of my life.80mph winds all the way.I arrived home shaking like a leaf.
I had a great Solo trip and met some good people.
Total mileage: 2695
Total in Morocco: 1826
Total cost: 1100euros including tolls,ferries,fuel,food,hotels and fines.Pretty cheap i thought.
Next trip planned:3 weeks to Norway and back April/May 08

·
Registered
461 Posts
Great report Spain! :thumbleft:Can ya email me the bump start pics. Iv'e gotta have some for my scrap book.
So thats what happened to Paul...?? He was an interesting bloke. Did he tell you about his hash smuggling days and 3 years behind bars..Very funny story. Great to meet up with you. I might catch up in Norway. I might have a new bike by then. Iv'e yet to put a decent battery in the Transalp. The moped battery I bought in Morocco seems to be holding up. I have been so impressed with the Transalp I might cancel my BMW order and get another Twin. Im going to look at one tomorrow. Stay in touch. Cheers Gnasher

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great report Spain! :thumbleft:Can ya email me the bump start pics. Iv'e gotta have some for my scrap book.
So thats what happened to Paul...?? He was an interesting bloke. Did he tell you about his hash smuggling days and 3 years behind bars..Very funny story. Great to meet up with you. I might catch up in Norway. I might have a new bike by then. Iv'e yet to put a decent battery in the Transalp. The moped battery I bought in Morocco seems to be holding up. I have been so impressed with the Transalp I might cancel my BMW order and get another Twin. Im going to look at one tomorrow. Stay in touch. Cheers Gnasher
Hello Gnasher.
PM me your e-mail and i will send you pics.
Paul was a very interesting character....i got to like him alot over the few days we spent travelling together.....he told me all about his colourful past.What with my past and his the local police came to visit us twice in Tan Tan....very un-nerving.....something to do with codes on passports for people with criminal convictions.......:confused:
Anyway....gotta trip to Norway to organise...i will keep you informed about that.......and i may well go back to Morocco too as its not too far from where i live.....6 hours on the motorway and i am in Tarifa/Algiceras/Gib.
Nice meeting you Gnasher
Later mate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
great photos and great report. I am the solitary irishman from the biketruck gang. good to see paul made it further on safe and sound. all the best d and nice to meet you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great photos and great report. I am the solitary irishman from the biketruck gang. good to see paul made it further on safe and sound. all the best d and nice to meet you.
Hello de Crowe....how are you mate?It was good meeting you too.Hope the front screen didnt cost you too much.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
What an excellent write up! Great photos too. Really gives you a feel for the place, and it's good to see people traveling solo like this and having such a great time and meeting up with other people. It's trip reports like this that inspire me in a way long way down etc. can't really match (not that I don't enjoy those too, but your trip and costs and the fact you're doing it on your own make it feel much more doable/accessible to me).

I've always wanted to visit morrocco, and I plan to do that solo at some point in the future (perhaps next year - need to get a bit more experience first as I haven't been riding long so the plan is for scotland and perhaps europe this year to get some experience then further afield next year all going to plan and time/money allowing).

Cool to see a vegetable oil powered bike as well. What was it like to ride and for speed/pulling power?

I know you can run a normal deisel engine on bio-diesel made from oil, and modify a car so it'll run on raw oil, but I think this is the first time I've seen a bike having raw oil poured straight into the tank. Seems that could have some advantages for touring not only for cost, but also the wide availability of vegetable oil just about anywhere you could stay.

Was interesting to see someone touring with that little computer as well. I've been looking at those recently myself (look like they'd be great for taking on the bike as they're solid state, and also quite cheap for what appears to be such a rugged bit of kit):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus...urce=adwords&gclid=CMmAmvDejpECFRMXQgodFT81GA

Really cool that you stumbled upon the place Jimi Hendrix lived as well :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What an excellent write up! Great photos too. Really gives you a feel for the place, and it's good to see people traveling solo like this and having such a great time and meeting up with other people. It's trip reports like this that inspire me in a way long way down etc. can't really match (not that I don't enjoy those too, but your trip and costs and the fact you're doing it on your own make it feel much more doable/accessible to me).

I've always wanted to visit morrocco, and I plan to do that solo at some point in the future (perhaps next year - need to get a bit more experience first as I haven't been riding long so the plan is for scotland and perhaps europe this year to get some experience then further afield next year all going to plan and time/money allowing).

Cool to see a vegetable oil powered bike as well. What was it like to ride and for speed/pulling power?

I know you can run a normal deisel engine on bio-diesel made from oil, and modify a car so it'll run on raw oil, but I think this is the first time I've seen a bike having raw oil poured straight into the tank. Seems that could have some advantages for touring not only for cost, but also the wide availability of vegetable oil just about anywhere you could stay.

Was interesting to see someone touring with that little computer as well. I've been looking at those recently myself (look like they'd be great for taking on the bike as they're solid state, and also quite cheap for what appears to be such a rugged bit of kit):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus...urce=adwords&gclid=CMmAmvDejpECFRMXQgodFT81GA

Really cool that you stumbled upon the place Jimi Hendrix lived as well :)
Hi Zenarchy
Go and do it solo...you won't be solo for long as i found out.Being "solo" makes you so much more approachable by other people.In the 10 days travelling i think i was solo for the last 4 days.And its so doable its unreal.
I first went to Morocco with an organised tour group,which was a fantastic experience in itself and it gave me the confidence to do it on my own.Sure you can have those lonely moments,but you just have to look around and realise what you're doing....its soon over so enjoy every second.
I had my first "solo" tour 10th May 1996 on my first Africa Twin...ended up in Spain and am still here.
The people out there in Morocco are great.....i had a couple of very humbling encounters...one being this ancient woman sheltering from the rain covered in a plastic sheet...i pulled up to shelter from the downpour in a doorway....this woman,who to look at obviously has nothing but the clothes she wears,actually asked me if i wanted her plastic sheet.....i was tempted i can tell you.:pI gave her a handful of change before i left.
That oil powered bike was something else.25bhp and cruises at 60mph.
The Asus computer was as tough as nails.It got dropped from waist height...bounced twice and then carried on working.
Glad you enjoyed the report.I'll be waiting for yours now:thumbup:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Hi Zenarchy
Go and do it solo...you won't be solo for long as i found out.Being "solo" makes you so much more approachable by other people.In the 10 days travelling i think i was solo for the last 4 days.And its so doable its unreal.
I didn't realise it would be so easy to meet up with other riders once you're out there or on the way.

How did you approach that, did people ask if you wanted to go with them, or did you just ask where they were going and if you could tag along?

One of my reasons for wanting to do it alone is that I think it'll force me to talk to other people and mix with the local culture a bit more, otherwise I think I might be a bit shy (and just a bit scared aswell to be honest being in a foreign land and not speaking the language) so if I was in a group, I could find myself a bit more insulated from the surroundings and just talking to people in the group much more. Might also feel like a bit more of an adventure doing it alone throwing myself in at the deep end, and ofcourse being able to just wander off where you like without worrying about anyone else should be nice (if a little lonely at times perhaps).

I first went to Morocco with an organised tour group,which was a fantastic experience in itself and it gave me the confidence to do it on my own.
Was that something you organised in the UK and then rode over together, or did you get a flight over and use a bike once over there?

Sure you can have those lonely moments,but you just have to look around and realise what you're doing....its soon over so enjoy every second.
I got a sense of that from your posts. Was a bit sad to see you reach the point when you're heading back (even as a reader). I guess you've got to try to keep in mind that the journey back is all part of the journey as well.

I had my first "solo" tour 10th May 1996 on my first Africa Twin...ended up in Spain and am still here.
You just found somewhere you liked and decided not to come back? That's pretty cool! Don't blame you for not wanting to come home LOL. Did you already have work organised over there or just wing it once you'd found somewhere you liked?

My aunt did something like that in the 70's. Went off on a bicycle to go fruit picking in france with a school friend when she was not much more than a kid, then a few months later her friend came home without her "oh..she's not coming back'. She's been living in Amsterdam for years now.

The people out there in Morocco are great.....i had a couple of very humbling encounters...one being this ancient woman sheltering from the rain covered in a plastic sheet...i pulled up to shelter from the downpour in a doorway....this woman,who to look at obviously has nothing but the clothes she wears,actually asked me if i wanted her plastic sheet.....i was tempted i can tell you.:pI gave her a handful of change before i left.
Makes you realise how lucky we are in this country (even though it can seem rough at times and there's a lot that could be better, even the less well off of us are doing pretty good and have a lot to be thankful for when you consider the wider scheme of things). It's easy to forget that sometimes (I'm sure we're all guilty of that some of the time).

That oil powered bike was something else.25bhp and cruises at 60mph.
Wow. I think that enfield diesel bike only does 50, so 60mph sounds pretty good as a cruising speed considering he's pouring raw oil directly into the tank like that.

I'm guessing if you're riding abroad you wouldn't need to be paying fuel tax like they'd expect you to doing it in this country, so it could turn out to be a very cheap way to tour the world (particularly if you camped).

The Asus computer was as tough as nails.It got dropped from waist height...bounced twice and then carried on working.
Another thing on my shopping list :D It looks like it'd be really handy for anywhere where they've got wifi to keep in contact with people back home, or even just to keep you entertained or to keep a diary when on the road. Do you know if he was charging it from the bike, or just carrying spare batteries or charging it up at hotels?

Glad you enjoyed the report.I'll be waiting for yours now:thumbup:
LOL. Mine'll probably be a lot less exciting and just bimbling around scotland or france to begin with. One day though...one day..

I remember what a distant dream it felt getting through my test and getting a transalp or africa twin when I was first looking around at 125s and sending for my license and looking into cbt's etc. so I'm making steps in the right direction slowly but surely.

Reading reports like this helps to keep me motivated, that I'll get there in the end (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its ozz the lad with the GS with the paint job on it , what do you mean that you would not have rode with us , every time we pulled up you were at the back , or may be that's why ha ha ozz :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its ozz the lad with the GS with the paint job on it , what do you mean that you would not have rode with us , every time we pulled up you were at the back , or may be that's why ha ha ozz :D
Hello Ozzy
What you doing here?You're not supposed to read that!:toothy6:
Was that you doing the wheelie through the arch in Jon's photos?
Hope you had a good trip.
You gonna get yourself a proper bike now you are here??

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zenarchy...lots of Q's there.
Get yourself off on a supported tour...i went with www.MotosMorocco Or you can get the bike shipped out with www.biketruck.com or a similar outfit....you're bound to meet up with likeminded people.If not you will just have to get on with it.....either way it'll be an adventure.

Back in 96 when i came away i ended up meeting a Spanish girl and things went from there.You never know where you could end up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Zenarchy...lots of Q's there.
Get yourself off on a supported tour...i went with www.MotosMorocco Or you can get the bike shipped out with www.biketruck.com or a similar outfit....you're bound to meet up with likeminded people.If not you will just have to get on with it.....either way it'll be an adventure.

Back in 96 when i came away i ended up meeting a Spanish girl and things went from there.You never know where you could end up.
I can vouch for that. I planned to ride Morocco on my own too. I sent my Bike down through Europe on the truck and planned to pick it up ane just be on my own. I knew none of the other riders that had bikes shipped down there but we just ended up helping each other out. We had no guide. No expectations no real hard and fast plans. Some rode together and some broke away and did there own thing. You'r never alone on Solo adventures. You always ending up meeting people and like Spain says you actually end up meeting more people than you would if you were in a group. If you can ride your bike for more than 10 mins without falling off your more than ready to go on a adventure. Rely on your instincs and optimism prevail. You will be impressed with the outcome. Most of us just need a kick up the arse to get started. Enjoy :):thumb:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Thanks for the links. I think the first link might be broken but guessing it was http://www.moto-morocco.com . Seems like a good way to do it the first time, and would save the time traveling, but I think I'd be more tempted to ride there and experience some of europe on the way time allowing considering the prices. The biketruck service looks very appealing though as the price for that seems to be less than it'd cost you to actually ride there and back, and allow more time there. I've bookmarked them both for future reference :)

Sorry about all the questions btw. Don't mean to bombard you or hijack the thread about your trip. Just keen to learn as much as I can in preparation as I'm pretty determined that one day in the not too distant future I'll make a similar trip myself, so it helps to pick up as many tips as I can.

Thanks for the encouragement as well Gnasher. It's good to see that this is such a common experience. Although I'd really like to do it on my own, its a comfort to know that there's other people out there doing the same thing and opportunities to meet up with people and tag along for a few days.

Just got to get a bit more experience now and keep my head down and work hard for a few months to get some money saved next year then I'll be off :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the links. I think the first link might be broken but guessing it was http://www.moto-morocco.com . Seems like a good way to do it the first time, and would save the time traveling, but I think I'd be more tempted to ride there and experience some of europe on the way time allowing considering the prices. The biketruck service looks very appealing though as the price for that seems to be less than it'd cost you to actually ride there and back, and allow more time there. I've bookmarked them both for future reference :)

Sorry about all the questions btw. Don't mean to bombard you or hijack the thread about your trip. Just keen to learn as much as I can in preparation as I'm pretty determined that one day in the not too distant future I'll make a similar trip myself, so it helps to pick up as many tips as I can.

Thanks for the encouragement as well Gnasher. It's good to see that this is such a common experience. Although I'd really like to do it on my own, its a comfort to know that there's other people out there doing the same thing and opportunities to meet up with people and tag along for a few days.

Just got to get a bit more experience now and keep my head down and work hard for a few months to get some money saved next year then I'll be off :)
Hi again Zenarchy
No problems answering your questions....pleasure mate.
Thats the right link for MotosMorocco.Good outfit...Bills the main man there.big fella...larger than life type.
If you click on the middle video link of the "Mountain Descent.Tinerhir"on their main page you'll actually see me wobbling down the track on the Twin.Its the first 1.58 mins.:cool:
Save up a few quid and get yourself out there...or just some of Southern Europe.
Going solo,with BikeTruck or an organised tour will all have their different pros and cons...either way you'll have a trip to remember.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts