Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hubby went last year on Continental tkc 80's, just keep the pressure's up to avoid puntures, he said that the 14 bikes and two weeks off road later no one had any tyre trouble.

·
Registered
494 Posts
any recomendations for a tyres for a 2000 mile ish morroco trip - maily off road:thumbright:
MT21's.

Most of the tracks are very rocky and there is far less sand than you would think.
TKC80's work well on big trail bike's ,but on a smaller more off roadable bike MT21 tend to be better.

More off road based tyres tend not to last because of the hard ground and sharp rocks.

MT21's work perfect in Morocco.

That said This year I'm doing most of the off road routes in chris scott's Morocco overland and useing Tourance tyres ..

Hope this help's

Dazzer

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys
will probably look at mt21s - ive got tkcs on my africa twin - they are great all round tyres but want something a little more off road orientated for the xr:thumbup:

dazzer im just planning my morocco trip from the chris scott book too - when are you going?? Im off end of april - hoping its not too hot!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
cheers guys
will probably look at mt21s - ive got tkcs on my africa twin - they are great all round tyres but want something a little more off road orientated for the xr:thumbup:

dazzer im just planning my morocco trip from the chris scott book too - when are you going?? Im off end of april - hoping its not too hot!!
Im off at the start of april for 5 week's, so I should have time to do most of the off road routes in the book.

After this long winter ....We want it hot..... don't we :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D903
My mate has just picked up a very nearly new D903 rear for my xr400 for next to nothing - has anyone used one of these and could it be up for a 2OOO mile morocco offroad trip?

:thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have tried all sorts of tyres and the ones that come out best are the "Swedish Army" pattern. Good on road and excellent off. I live in The Gambia and the roads/off road tracks have to be seen. I am also trying the T-Lock system, no tube and it allows lower tyre pressures without the fear of pinch punctures and you get much better grip.
Go and have a look at T-644 Army Special for the tyres and Trellesport - Enduro Competiton MotorcycleTyres, Army Special Tyre for the T-Lock
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I know XRMad uses a TKC rear with fantastic mileage and much better than an MT21, you can then go with a T63 front which also gives great mileage, Meljordan used one of these on his @ for our trip to the Pyrenees and after 2500 miles still looked good.
Mt21 is possibly the best tire there is for dual sport brilliant, on the downside doesnt last very long, I rekon after 1500 miles they are pretty useless for grip, and also a bugger to change on the road side in my experiance and Cabbage had a fight with his also, especially compared to a TKC. Bear in mind XRMad uses his TKC in all sorts ,heavy mud rock blah blah and never has a problem I think he couples it with an AC10 front which avoids the problems of front one being not great in slippery mud grass etc.. Tires are such individual preferance mind!!
Are you riding your XR all the way? What one is it and what have you done to it. Would be nice to see some pics

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you riding your XR all the way? What one is it and what have you done to it. Would be nice to see some pics
Hi Phil - I live in france so getting the ferry from sete to tangiers and then taking van with my xr400 (2000) and my mates drz400 down to Marrakech area - from then on its 2 weeks off roading and staying in cheap hotels - we're traveling light. Have put 22l tank on it but apart from that pretty standard. Hope to take lots of pics so will get some up when i get back - cant wait to go :p

·
Registered
494 Posts
How did you get on on your trip?

which tyres did you run in the end /

For our 4 week tour we used Tourance instead of TKC's which I have used in the past.

I found that the problem was that by the time you had ridden to Morocco the advantage of the TKC tread had worn down.

So this time I tried Tourance, which worked out less expensive than TKC80's { which used to be a good bit cheaper than tourance }

The tourance tyres were excellent, and even did well in the sand.that said Leigh had to jump off the back of the bike till I rode through the worst of the deep sand .

The tyres have been on now for 5500 miles and are only just over half worn. so I#m well happy with them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The favourite among those in the know are Heidenau K60s . Cheaper than the posh brands and better milage and build. Where ? DELTICOM AG, aka MYTYRES.co.uk. Well cheap and well cool. :thumbup::thumbright::thumbleft:

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
The favourite among those in the know are Heidenau K60s . Cheaper than the posh brands and better milage and build. Where ? DELTICOM AG, aka MYTYRES.co.uk. Well cheap and well cool. :thumbup::thumbright::thumbleft:
K60's are very good tyres but they square off something terrible on the road, the last time I looked for a K60 which was about a week ago, I found them to have gone up quite considerably! All rubber seems to have shot up in price at the moment. The cheapest set of TKC's I could find were £150! It used to be £110! Compared to £145 for a set of K60's I would choose the TKC's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
100/90x19 = £52.60 and 130/80x17 = £62.60. Delivered. TKC80 front = 79.30 and rear = 72.00. Tube type only available on rear. The tubeless rear is £91.40 !! Common opinion is that the heidenau will last at least a third longer. :cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you get on on your trip?
Sorry no response earlier but its taken me a little while to put this blog together of our trip but hopefully makes for enjoyable viewing . Still not quite finished yet tho as you'll see and will add to it when and time allows.

Heres the link! Hope to get some vids included when I work out how to edit them ( remove the me falling off bits:lol:)

Morocco Off Road Biking 2010

1 - 15 of 15 Posts