Honda XRV Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Oh right just in the general storage area? Is it floating or mounted to anything?
Floating? FLOATING? FLOATING?

As in left to it's on devices to move around as it damn well pleases?

How dare you Sir, on a bike of mine? You'll be hearing from my Solicitors Grabbin, MeToole and Pullin even inferring it would be floating!!!!!

It's attached to the side with industrial velcro, and not that namby pamby stuff you get down B&Q either, I use the Carlsberg of velcro I do..........

FLOATING? Tsk :toothy10:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Exactly, hence my confusion! Velcro's a good idea.

Mine's piggybacked onto the CDI mounting rubber, so it's tucked away under the side panel.

Zip ties though. :D

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts
Hi Thunder, the link to the website for the mosfet isnt working comes up 404 error do you have the web address please.
Many thanks Tez

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I put one of these on my RD07 recently. With the outputs from the reg/rect straight to the battery.

After a short ride, the 30A fuse holder melted. The fuse didn't blow. I'm hoping I just had a bad connection (High resistance)

I've replaced the fuse and holder with a more robust fuse. I've yet to test ride.

The output of the reg/rect is 15v on idle. That seems too high for me. I worry I'm going to boil my battery.

What are other peoples outputs from the cheap Mosfets ?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I put one of these on my RD07 recently. With the outputs from the reg/rect straight to the battery.

After a short ride, the 30A fuse holder melted. The fuse didn't blow. I'm hoping I just had a bad connection (High resistance)

I've replaced the fuse and holder with a more robust fuse. I've yet to test ride.

The output of the reg/rect is 15v on idle. That seems too high for me. I worry I'm going to boil my battery.

What are other peoples outputs from the cheap Mosfets ?
A poor connection and high resistance may have caused the meltdown as you already stated. Another reason to use only quality
crimpers and connectors or solder connections. I don't have any experience with those cheaper China Mosfet R/R's. In a pinch
I suppose they would be ok but for what it's worth I would only put a Mosfet on my bike that says Shindengen on it.

I would get another multimeter opinion as some of the cheaper ones are known to read high. But yes...15 vdc is a bit on the high
side and you risk cooking a battery or worse a CDI.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Floating? FLOATING? FLOATING?

As in left to it's on devices to move around as it damn well pleases?

How dare you Sir, on a bike of mine? You'll be hearing from my Solicitors Grabbin, MeToole and Pullin even inferring it would be floating!!!!!

It's attached to the side with industrial velcro, and not that namby pamby stuff you get down B&Q either, I use the Carlsberg of velcro I do..........

FLOATING? Tsk :toothy10:
This still makes me laugh 12 years later :LOL:

·
Registered
359 Posts
It cost about £30. However, it wasn't branded as a copy. But yeah, too cheap. However it was a generic model. Without the connectors for the AT (which I knew I wasn't going to use).

I've replaced the cheap fuse holder with a MIDI fuse holder and fuse. These are more robust than a MAXI.

The Reg/Rect does get hot too. After five mins on idle it's too hot to hold comfortably. I thought these should run much cooler.

I get 15-15.3v on idle. Headlights drop it to 14.5 and adding heated grips drops it to 14.3. (On idle)

I've added a voltage gauge to the bike so I can monitor it and see what voltages I get on a run.

14.8v is max voltage you really want to be putting into a 12v lead acid battery.

I may be swapping it out for a genuine.

I've run both my outputs DIRECT to the battery. (with the fuse on the Pos. obviously).

I've read people earthing directly to the frame. However, the earth strap for the motor/starter is on the same terminal so I really doubt that makes any difference.

I just need to find the same to go for a run. And have the wife ready with a spare battery in the car incase it fails me.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts