Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transalp failed it's first MOT on tuesday
number plate undersized 22cm wide should be 24cm and numbers and letters too small the plate has a GB euro so it was squashed in,
but worse the rear disc had a crack about 5mm long,
so off the road till the weekend

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
harsh,but better safe than sorry on the disc.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Now that's a proper Transalp story! No drama. Half an hour's maintenance, and that's it for another year! :joker:

·
Registered
217 Posts
My old 600 also failed with a crack in the rear disc - common fault apparantly - but fortunately an easy and cheap(ish) fix. Number plate very harsh. Have you had the plate for more than a year? If so, and it passed last time, it reveals the subjective nature of the MoT.

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the first MOT, i bought the bike last year and the guy had his name and post code on the plate i just measured it and bought one online the same size

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
So how do these sport bikes and trail bikes pass with plates the size of postage stamps or facing skywards. Does beg the question do they do it for a reason, is there a retest fee?

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope they don't charge again, i have a full size plate (i hope) in the box of bits i was given sports bikes/enduro bikes must change their plates over at MOT time.
The bike is in dunstable dirt bike centre my only worry is the genuine disc they are putting on will it crack

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
My F650 failed on the number plate the year before last because it was too big?????

it was the original one fitted in '98 by the dealer but because it was no longer the required dimensions and had the number spread across 3 lines it failed.

and if anyone wants a bike numberplate in Derby in a hurry, good luck. it took me half a day of running round to find someone who had them in stock and could do them while you wait, even most of the bike dealers and MOT centres have stopped doing them because of the legal hassle

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So how do these sport bikes and trail bikes pass with plates the size of postage stamps or facing skywards. Does beg the question do they do it for a reason, is there a retest fee?
There is a retest fee if the vehicle is not retested within a set time, I believe it is seven days.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
My Gasgas passed Mot with a 4" x 3" plate on it i had the proper one in my jacket, just said to him that was the one you tested it with, i changed it when i left the shop job done no problem

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the bike back today final bill £276, i know a lot of you will suck on your teeth :( :( but i don't do home mechanics
genuine rear disk, brake fluid, caliper rebuild kit, strip and clean front calipers, MOT and 3 hours labour.
Also ordered a set of give side panniers,
anyone want to by a kidney ;)

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
The MOT would be about 30 quid so that seems abit steep! Why did they rebuild the caliper,it was the disc cracked,you should by rights change the pads to new ones to suit the new disc (£15-ish) but why work on the front ones was there any advisory mentioned on them?

I would have new disc £60
rear pads £20
labour 1 hour £50
MOT £30
-------
Total £160.inc VAT

maybe Their labours very low or they've not used genuine parts.For a 1st MOT I've never heard of calipers needing a rebuild.And 3 hours??? and fluids etc??

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I think we're going to have to organise a service learning day for all the beds, bucks, herts, northants etc people. How to change oils,filters,pads etc. It really is EASY and nothing to be scared of. If we can show people how easy it is it will save them a small fortune in the long run.

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had better start at the begining
bought the bike last year it needed pads all round only managed 200 miles before the winter, the bike was garaged but when i got it out the front brakes were binding badly
so that's why they needed rebuilding
all this work was carried out at DBC in dunstable
not a main dealer

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
ahhh well at least you asked them to do it, imformation mate, gotta tell us these things before we all go off and start slinging up nooses for the bloke who wrote your bill out.
Still think we need to get some of you guys with some spanners in your hands and get dirty fingernails for a day. You may have found a really good squirt and soak with some brake cleaner and a massage of the caliper would have done it. As for the disc,that's a 10 minute job.
We'll have to sort something this summer.You would be amazed the sense of satisfaction you can get from doing your own basic spannering.

PS I have now become the proud owner of a Twinmax carb balancing tool so if anyone local needs or thinks they need their carbs balancing they are welcome to use it if they're local or adjacent counties etc.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
I only trust myself with brakes etc, would not let main dealer near my bike, there are a couple of local guys i trust but still prefer to diy, heard of a guymthe other day got his bike back from a service and the sump plug was held in with silicone, went back to the dealer and told them but they refused to do anything abut it, he will not name and shame though
Merv

·
Registered
116 Posts
What they do is retain the original full size plate which is refitted just for the MOT test so it passes. Then afterwards the small but illegal version is replaced.

At least that's what I and many others did when I used to ride Harleys, where it's very common for owners to fit those illegal small plates because they look so much nicer on these bikes.

I hate the big plates that bikes have to use, they are way too disproportionately large on most bikes and look silly. Many other countries have small plates just for bikes which look much better. I'm a member of MAG, have been for many years, but I don't know if this is one of the issues they are pursuing. Think I might contact them to find out.

I've heard though that the reason why the rules demand those monster plates on bikes is so that the ANPR system linked to cameras etc. can read them clearly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
At least that's what I and many others did when I used to ride Harleys

Harleys! Kindly leave this forum to real bikers please........

·
Registered
417 Posts
At least that's what I and many others did when I used to ride Harleys

Harleys! Kindly leave this forum to real bikers please........
Ohh dear !! a former Hardly rider ehh, welcome back to the real world,never mind, your all better now ha ha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts