Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden my bike less than a BMW owner waiting for a warranty claim this last month or so, just couldn't face riding to work on it, been taking the car instead. However, today the bike was booked in for it's MOT test.

Anyway, it passed. Clean sweep, no advisories, not been washed since 2006, 93,000 miles on the clock. The tester said, "See ya next year Mr Powell" and was led away to have his hands steam-cleaned back to the flesh layer by one of his apprentices. :thumb:

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Good to hear it! Maybe mine will have the same luck (not ridden for 4 months - still started though, and on the original battery at 96,000!).

Mind you, dirt does hide a multitude of sins, eh? :thumbleft::thumbright:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
and on the original battery at 96,000!
So where can I get one of those nuclear fuel rods for my AT. :D

Mind you ...I did get 10 years out of a BMW Mareg battery once on my gspd.

Now it's 3 years max on a Chinese battery.

cheers

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Anyway, it passed. Clean sweep, no advisories, not been washed since 2006
Nice pun. ;)

Damn you, I thought I had that honour.

I can't compete on mileage, but I haven't washed mine since 2009. Why get rid of the layers of ACF50 everything was smothered in when reassembled after the rebuild? :D:thumbup:

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Mind you ...I did get 10 years out of a BMW Mareg battery once on my gspd.

Now it's 3 years max on a Chinese battery.

cheers
That trumps me - mine's only 9 years (in April, so technically just under 9). I was mostly amazed by the time spent parked up and the time it took to crank the motor to life. I expected some charge, but not that much! Previous batteries form my 600 TAs only seemed to do 3 years at most, and they were UK-made ones, not Chinese...

Well Yen, mine's booked for the MOT tomorrow, so let's hope I can match your test success. All seems basically Ok, but I might have missed something. All I intend to do is give that battery the charge it deserves, put air in the tyres....and.......give it a wash! Sorry to whimp out, but I don't know these guys and first impressions count!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Yen, mine's booked for the MOT tomorrow, so let's hope I can match your test success. All seems basically Ok, but I might have missed something. All I intend to do is give that battery the charge it deserves, put air in the tyres....and.......give it a wash! Sorry to whimp out, but I don't know these guys and first impressions count!
Well I put my success down to the fact no examiner wants to get too close to mine in case they catch something. They fear a re-test so pass it straight away!:D

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Ah, well these are dreadnaught Scots, and the same ploy might not work. Well, not with the pathetic level of crud I tend to build up before giving in and getting the wash bucket out...

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Hmm. Maybe I should have tried Yen's ploy after all - it failed on a slightly loose grip (not the throttle one) and play in the suspension linkage. I'm surprised they touched that, because that WAS honking!

I'd expected I'd have a problem with the linkage at some point and years ago bought the bearings, collars and seals to do the job. They're still there ready because I couldn't be arsed - mostly because of having to get the centre stand off and support the bike without it. Anyone managed to get the linkage off with the centre stand in place? It looks like the bolt should just about pass through the centre of the mounting. I might try that first...

So I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Actually, I can't really complain - this is the first fail I've ever had on this one, and maybe the first in its life since it would only have had one MOT before I bought it with a measly 8,000 on the clock.

All three discs were advisories, so I'll have to get those sorted next year...

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. Maybe I should have tried Yen's ploy after all - it failed on a slightly loose grip (not the throttle one) and play in the suspension linkage. I'm surprised they touched that, because that WAS honking!

I'd expected I'd have a problem with the linkage at some point and years ago bought the bearings, collars and seals to do the job. They're still there ready because I couldn't be arsed - mostly because of having to get the centre stand off and support the bike without it. Anyone managed to get the linkage off with the centre stand in place? It looks like the bolt should just about pass through the centre of the mounting. I might try that first...

So I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Actually, I can't really complain - this is the first fail I've ever had on this one, and maybe the first in its life since it would only have had one MOT before I bought it with a measly 8,000 on the clock.

All three discs were advisories, so I'll have to get those sorted next year...
You can regrease/replace all the bearings with the bike on the centrestand except the set directly blocked by the stand itself. Sod's law states that this is the bearing you've got play in.

If it is I would say use the side stand and car axle stand method of getting the bike in the air with no centrestand. The bike is very stable with that method.

Removing the linkage is very easy, much easier than removing and replacing the down pipes so you can get the centrestand off. I never had a problem with undoing any of the nuts/bolts on the linkage even with no cleaning over 7 years. I would recommend taking a ring spanner to them before you get the bike raised, just to slightly loosen them all whilst the bike is on the ground.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Thanks Yen, that's great advice - I hadn't thought of the sidestand and an axle stand. That'll be miles easier once the centre stand is off and the linkage bolts loosened. I think I'll do the whole linkage as it's easier when off the bike, and the MOT fail sheet wasn't that explicit as to which was the problem (they all felt fine to me before I took it in). Anyway, I have the spare parts for all.

When I had the linkage semi-apart to replace the shock last I already knew the needle bearings and collar in that pivot were in a poor state, so I was expecting this to be a problem. I suppose I ought to do the swing arm at the same time (I have the parts for that too), but sleeping dogs and all that....

What I can't understand is why, if the likage must be play-free, I can feel no difference in handling/shock absorbance? Maybe I will when it's all done....

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Yen, that's great advice - I hadn't thought of the sidestand and an axle stand. That'll be miles easier once the centre stand is off and the linkage bolts loosened. I think I'll do the whole linkage as it's easier when off the bike, and the MOT fail sheet wasn't that explicit as to which was the problem (they all felt fine to me before I took it in). Anyway, I have the spare parts for all.

When I had the linkage semi-apart to replace the shock last I already knew the needle bearings and collar in that pivot were in a poor state, so I was expecting this to be a problem. I suppose I ought to do the swing arm at the same time (I have the parts for that too), but sleeping dogs and all that....

What I can't understand is why, if the likage must be play-free, I can feel no difference in handling/shock absorbance? Maybe I will when it's all done....
The best way to see which linkage is fubared is to get the bike on the centrestand. Then get a shovel or strong piece of wood.

Get down low so you can see all the linkages from the side. Wedge the shovel or wood under the rear tyre. Gently lever the wheel upward and you should see one of the linkages move up and down compared to the others. Be careful not to tip the bike forward off the stand though.

For sidestand and axle stand holdyupness, wedge the axlestand under either the footrest hanger or the centrestand bracket (my fave)after pushing the bike away from you on the sidestand.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Even more useful advice, which I'll definitely go for. Depending on where my axle stands come up to I think I might go for the foot rests.

If it requires that much force to move the linkage I can see why I would have missed the play. Clearly my puny space alien hands are no match for your advanced earth (moving) weapons! :cyclopsani:

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Well, it got through the test today :hello1:

The patented Powell Technique (spade under back wheel) worked well and revealed what looked like an inch of travel! I'm sure it was an optical illusion though, and the ruined bearings and collars were restricted to the pivot on the swing arm and the rearmost pivot. However, I changed the lot while I had the linkage off. I decided not to remount the centre stand thanks to what a PITA it is. I also decided to araldite the mounting collar in place to make sure it didn't rattle around. Not a problem as the stand will go back on eventually.

On the other hand I managed to get superglue under the twist grip while fixing the grips on :oops:....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts