1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
I've just written to my bosses asking if they are now going to do the same for our own bus lanes. One of three things will now happen.

1. nothing
2. they will say no, bikes are nasty and ridden by oiks (quite correct)
3. they will say yes and lumber me with the job

·
Registered
352 Posts
3 things
1- this is a good idea :thumbup:
2-i have always used the bus lanes when in london on the bike..thought you could...:color:
3- why dont swansea do the same bloody thing! :D

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
3 things
1- this is a good idea :thumbup:
2-i have always used the bus lanes when in london on the bike..thought you could...:color:
3- why dont swansea do the same bloody thing! :D
At the moment it's only TFL bus lanes. My borough has got a fair few that you aren't allowed in during operational hours. Catches a lot of bikers out who don't bother to read the signs at the start of the bus lanes.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
We've had this in Bristol since 1996. Yen, if you need info in support of your case, contact Craig Carey-Clinch from the MCIA.
I gave them all that a few times, they weren't interested, it's a very blinkered view there, if you're not on a push bike or a pedestrian they don't care.

·
Registered
352 Posts
At the moment it's only TFL bus lanes. My borough has got a fair few that you aren't allowed in during operational hours. Catches a lot of bikers out who don't bother to read the signs at the start of the bus lanes.
think i been lucky......:D

·
Administrator
1,764 Posts
There are some new(ish) bus lanes in Cardiff. Much disruption while they were laid out,and a lane lost to "real" traffic. (And bikes cannot use them). The buses rarely, if ever, use them....so why???

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Glad they've made it perm. My new commute route involves going up the A11 from the city to the bow flyover. Would be a nightmare without using the bus lanes. :thumbright:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
Glad they've made it perm. My new commute route involves going up the A11 from the city to the bow flyover. Would be a nightmare without using the bus lanes. :thumbright:
Wait till the Olympics kick in, enjoy the relative calm now, it's going to be hell on earth in a few months. I'm down for the all male dorms they are setting up cos we won't be able to get to or from work for the entire period. I tried for the mixed but they said no.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Wait till the Olympics kick in, enjoy the relative calm now, it's going to be hell on earth in a few months. I'm down for the all male dorms they are setting up cos we won't be able to get to or from work for the entire period. I tried for the mixed but they said no.
Yeah. I work at TfL, so am reasonably aware of how bad it's going to be. My commute either takes me through Stratford on the tube :( or down the A12 which will be olympic lane hell. :( :( Rock and a hard place. Oh, and no leave allowed during the olympics, so can't even barricade myself in at my place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
is it permitted to use all bus lanes in london for motorbikes or only those which have appropriate signs allowed to use?
also i do not undestand if i can park my bike everywhere in lewisham at pay and display signs (& not to pay of course) at 90 degrees to the edge.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
is it permitted to use all bus lanes in london for motorbikes or only those which have appropriate signs allowed to use?
also i do not undestand if i can park my bike everywhere in lewisham at pay and display signs (& not to pay of course) at 90 degrees to the edge.

Most, NOT all, bus lanes can be used by motorcycles in London. It's best to keep an eye on the signs along the route of the bus lane, as I have encountered sections where motorcycles are suddenly excluded for a short time (for example a short section on the A3 between Kennington Lane and Kennington Park Road). This may be because of hazards or possibly due to an omission, but best to check as there are cameras just waiting to fine poor innocents who make genuine mistakes.

Whealie should be along shortly to answer questions about Lewisham, as he is the XRV Diplomatic Attache for that area. Failing that, Pay and Displays should indicate by the meter if bikes can park free and where.

Bob

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only red routes have motorcycles in the bus lanes and even then, it appears, not all. I will ask TfL.

Parking perpendicular between spaces is what traffic officers tell you to do in central London so I assume it's Ok elsewhere too. Will try to find out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks. you saved my money. i used all bus lanes (ignoring permitted time) in lewisham, bromley without cameras and police near. i am not sure that pay and display have info about free bike parking but a parking attendant confirmed that is free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts