Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost finished current project, so will be starting on box of bits (formerly know as an rd04) soon.
Full engine rebuild to replace output shaft :rolleyes:

Q. will want to keep shiney new paint on frame, which will be easier acheived by rebuilding and fitting bottom end, then fitting topends in frame. can be done? or does it have to go in in one lump?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It needs to go in with the heads on. Well, you can get one of them on in the frame (front I think) but it's real arse ache and certainly not worth it as access is tight.

Leave the clutch, alternator and cam covers off and, to make it lighter, you could also leave off the clutch pack and alternator rotor. Doing that gives you more to hold onto and more wiggle room and they're easier to fit when it's in the frame anyway. Cable ties holding cardboard with duck tape onto the rails will stop any paint mangling.

Thick rubberised gloves are a good idea too as the case edges are rather sharp.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Put the engine on a block of the same dimensions and put the frame on around the engine rather than vice-versa. It tips in from the right I think.

If I'd done this first of all the frame point on my AT would still be OK...

I think the engine was totally complete too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers lads, one lump it is then.

Cable ties holding cardboard with duck tape onto the rails will stop any paint mangling.
My usual trick, after many rebuilds and experimenting with cardboard/tape ect over the years is...... drumroll...... lengths of hosepipe, sliced down its length, and stretched over the frame rails. Believe me, this works better than anything else. You can all thank me later. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts