Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I look silly applying for a self employed motorcycle instructors job? Im 63 and have been riding 43 yrs now. I need to do something when I retire next year. What do you lot think? I have a Transalp XL700VA I need to keep it in petrol and oil see. DD:)

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Would I look silly applying for a self employed motorcycle instructors job? Im 63 and have been riding 43 yrs now. I need to do something when I retire next year. What do you lot think? I have a Transalp XL700VA I need to keep it in petrol and oil see. DD:)
Why should you look silly? If you have the kit, the time, the knowledge and experience then go for it. :thumbup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
I agree - you have the experience. Providing you agree with the DSA methods for teaching then I see no reason why you shouldn't.

Good luck with it

Gary

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
63 is that all :D 25 at heart :thumbup: my dad is 80 and still playing tennis (bugger !!) your a young one so why not, nothing comes close to experience and you obviously have a lot of that, so why not pass it on ? good luck !

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I 'am thinking of starting to become a Motor bike instructor but there does not seen to be a set course, currently I looking at a Rhospa course £500 over several weeks.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
If my kids wanted to learn to ride a bike, I'd want someone who was still alive and had all their limbs in tact after 43 years riding to teach them.

And you get to put the whole cost of your bike, servicing, parts, petrol and bike gear against the business:D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I 'am thinking of starting to become a Motor bike instructor but there does not seen to be a set course, currently I looking at a Rhospa course £500 over several weeks.
This sort of course may be what you're after if you can find one close to you...
Channel Rider Training - Instructor Training

A RoSPA course won't get you any closer to being able to teach people to pass their bike test. You need to train and study to pass the Cardington assessment/exam. You could just see if there is an opening to teach CBT at a local training school. They can train and certify you to do that and that would give you a taste of what it's like.

So, is Rhospa the Welsh version? Do you have to take a Rhospa training course on a Llambretta ;)

(I'll get my coat)

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
My Bike instructor is in his 60's and has been riding for years too. He did a great job - got me through my test first time and taught me a few things that went a bit beyond the test too that's helped to keep me safe once I passed.

I've just asked him if it's OK to pass on his contact details if you'd like to have a chat with him and he might be able to give you a few pointers.

I'll send you a PM.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
The way it happened for me was I got a part time job at a local training centre. The owner spent a week (we weren't on the pay roll till we got our DSA cards so we all had a week off from our full time jobs) teaching me and three others how to do a CBT plus all the other stuff they wanted taught on road, at the end he got us our DSA cards. I then spent weekends working there just doing CBTs. Sometimes people would turn up from Cardington to observe to make sure we were sticking to the rules.

DAS had not long been out, I was sent to Cardington where I spent a day teaching pretend pupils (actually DSA officials) how to ride BMW tourers and I was assessed at the end. I had to make it all up from scratch, no one then knew what they were looking for. I passed and my original CBT card was exchanged for a CBT and DAS type. From then on I did more DAS than CBTs, I suspect there is more money for the school in that.

My type of card only allowed me to teach CBT and DAS, there was a further qualification which allowed instructors to teach other new instructors to teach CBT, as my then boss did to me and my fellow part time workers.

I reckon we were probably the last people to get that for free. I heard discussions between the school owners that spending 5 days teaching part time instructors only to maybe have them leave after a few months was costly and that they should charge future part timers for their training.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
If my kids wanted to learn to ride a bike, I'd want someone who was still alive and had all their limbs in tact after 43 years riding to teach them.

:D
agree with the above 101%!!!
I would say not only would you not look silly, you sound well qualified to do it!! Go for it:thumbup:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
No you will not look silly. Go for it. :thumbright:There in NO substitute for experience when teaching or coaching.

I wish you a long and and happy "next phase" to your working life. I'll be joining you in the "next phase" stage in 3 weeks.

.........cough ahem .......... but I'm only 51 ..............cough ........ya old git !!!:D:D

Best of luck .

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody for your encouragement. I will find out next week what happens next. I can say though that I will be expected to work only for the school (part time) as they will teach me and send me to Cardington for the two day exam after gaining more experience. I can live with that and will become self employed hours to suit. Ride safe Dave. :thumbup:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
So, is Rhospa the Welsh version? Do you have to take a Rhospa training course on a Llambretta ;)

(I'll get my coat)[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that to busy chewing carrots :D:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts