Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi,

I and others have mentioned this before on several forums. Been using car oil for years NO PROBS, still using it. I posted this below including these links on 28/06/09 last year.

Cheers
Potski

Re: OIL - Why can't i use a good spec motor oil?

Hi All,

Been using 10/40 semi-synthetic diesel car oil for years in all my bikes, dry and wet clutch, Z1000, Guzzi Calis, CX 500's XT500's to my latest Transalps, high revers to plodders; never had the slightest problem. Having said that I am a stickler for regularly changing the oil in all my vehicles.

When I can get it here in the sticks I use Mobil 1 10/40 diesel and would like to use 15/50 when it's stinking hot like it was today, but can never find it.

Anyway, check these links out, food for thought?

Cheers

Potski

Testing Motorcycle Oil

All About Motor Oil

http://www.suzukicavalcade.com/Maintenance/oil_test.htm

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Evidently, car oil is OK for some. Personally, I'll use bike oil in bikes with a wet clutch and integral gear box.

While it seems some have had no problems, such as Potski, I would personally opt for oils that have sheer resistances as well as lubing qualities to cope with the gears thrashing as well as the crank spinning and cams pumping!
Not to mention that some bikes rev very high indeed compared to cars.

Bike oils should have been designed with these qualities in mind.

However, in bikes such as boxer twins or Guzzis where the engine compartment, gear-box and final drive are all seperate as with a car, I'd happily use cars oils of the right grade.

Despite Potski's positive experiences, lets say you use car oil saving £3 per litre, but your gearbox packs up at 50K miles, would those savings over 12-14 oil changes (say £150) really cover the cost of a rebuild?

Eitherway, stick to your oil change schedule as diligently as you can.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used to use semi car oil in my cbr110xx (got it free from work) never had any problems, always naughty with the right hand, 56k on when i swaped it for the pan (just a tight arse i know)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Evidently, car oil is OK for some. Personally, I'll use bike oil in bikes with a wet clutch and integral gear box.

While it seems some have had no problems, such as Potski, I would personally opt for oils that have sheer resistances as well as lubing qualities to cope with the gears thrashing as well as the crank spinning and cams pumping!
Not to mention that some bikes rev very high indeed compared to cars.

Bike oils should have been designed with these qualities in mind.

However, in bikes such as boxer twins or Guzzis where the engine compartment, gear-box and final drive are all seperate as with a car, I'd happily use cars oils of the right grade.

Despite Potski's positive experiences, lets say you use car oil saving £3 per litre, but your gearbox packs up at 50K miles, would those savings over 12-14 oil changes (say £150) really cover the cost of a rebuild?

Eitherway, stick to your oil change schedule as diligently as you can.

What if using a different oil actually provides better protection than the recommended oil from the mfg? I use fully synth 10w 40 diesel oil, bike feels better than it ever has, although I accept that how it feels is a pretty poor indicator of lubrication.

food for thought :)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
What if using a different oil actually provides better protection than the recommended oil from the mfg? I use fully synth 10w 40 diesel oil, bike feels better than it ever has, although I accept that how it feels is a pretty poor indicator of lubrication.

food for thought :)
If a bike feels it has a lot of Vibration it can means the engine is not being lubricated properly, so there are signs to tell the rider something is wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts