Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on the wiring for my build and trying to work out where to connect the yellow wire for the tachometer on the motoscope mini.

the manual says it needs to be connected to the negative side of the ignition coil.

Any ideas which cable they are talking about?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a read of the link, I checked the Orem wiring and the kill switch seems to break the 12v circuit.
If the kill switch completed a ground circuit (and doesn’t break 12v) then it would be a true CDI.
Just cos it only got one wire doesn’t mean it’s a CDI, it has a second wire, the coil ground.

the issue is, even the NON CDI ignitions, refer to the black box as a CDI, as it’s been generalised

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Your reading too much into this Scott, for your tacho to work it looks like the wire needs to be connected to the negative on the coil which on a old bike would have gone to the points, which the dominator doesn't seem to have' it doesn't matter whether its a CDI or not you still have to pick up a pulse every time the engine fires so it looks like you need the little device to get it to work or find what fired the original tacho maybe connection to where that came from might work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that Fred, but if it is a a proper CDI ignition then the rest of my wiring diagram may not be correct

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I know that Fred, but if it is a a proper CDI ignition then the rest of my wiring diagram may not be correct
Looking at my wiring diagram the kill switch turns on and off the 12v to the "ignition module" ;) so its not a true CDI as you say. The ignition module sends a pulse to the coil but i don't know what the peak voltage is on that black/yellow wire.When i googled a motoscope mini to see what it was it just came up as a digital speedo and i thought you were looking for a pulse to drive the rev counter. which diagram are you working from

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it’s a digital speedo, but it also does the tacho functions.

I have had to use a nx650 wiring diagram but redraw to include a motogadget m-unit, m-lock, motoscope mini and switches

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
This is the drawing i was thinking of, It's conflicting itself, how can signal "from" ignition box be be negative, but the +12V going into the coil suggests it is. I'm wondering if they haven't re drawn it correctly from the old points type set up and that +12v should be ground might be worth contacting them looks like a copy and paste error to me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I havnt got that far with the wiring yet, I’ve been making all the battery cables, reg/rec cables, CDI cables etc as I’ve moved everything to under the seat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts