Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a local fab shop to knock me up some aluminium panniers (touratec style). I'm wanting to know the various methods of mounting these to my tubular frames. I've seen the the 'puck' type mounting but was wondering was there other methods out there? I was hoping to find something that would allow me to easily remove the panniers from the mounting frame - like is done with the Givis panniers.

Is there something that can be bought or has someone come up with their own ingenious solution? :thumbright:

Thx

Paul

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi Paul

Hope you are well

I have the puck type and they work very well in so far as if you drop the bike the panniers do not move and could save a lot of damage

Some of the other pannier fitments I have seen may not be as robust

My pucks are located at the outer curves (ooh that sounds rude) on the mounting hoops so they do not move at all

See you soon

Paul

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
As above but mine are on the inner curves !!!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Hi Paul Hope you are well, mine also use the puck system, very secure, means taking off the lids every time you want to take them off, but not too much of a problem. Hope you find a suitable solution. See ya in June :thumbup:

·
Barking. Totally.
131 Posts
I used a slightly different method. I wanted the panniers to be really secure and withstand offs and robbing ba*&@#rds. I was also not thinking of taking them off every 5 minutes. Hopefully we'll only need to take them off to get them in hotel foyers and for shipping.

I split and taped some black caravan waste hose - reinforced pvc - around the 4 straight sides of the frames then put 6mm stainless U-bolts around it and through the sides of the panniers. Inside the panniers I put rubber washers then stainless washers under wingnuts. Works a treat!

BB

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...you are all so polite.... just tell me to stop being f***ing stupid and use inner bags...

I honestly just realised the whole purpose of inner bags :withstupid:

And to those that asked, I'm keeping well. Looking forward to see ye all again on this years TLD..

Ta :thumbleft:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Paul

For inner bags I wanted something as good as or better than the Honda inner bags I had once before on another bike so I took my pannier to a market trader that sold bags and he got me some fantastic bags exactly to match the dimensions of the panniers for £6 each. They are made from the same type of material as the soft motorbike luggage and look like small suitcases with zip tops and side compartments and shoulder straps. Touratech make something similar but not as rigid for their Zega system and they cost £50 each !!

See you on TLD

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I have the puck type and they work very well in so far as if you drop the bike the panniers do not move and could save a lot of damage
Welll....

From recent experience: Touratech panniers do come off, and when they do it's no use putting them back on as you'll never get them to close again. The plastic pucks on the bottom shear off. Granted, the bike itself wasn't damaged, but the pannier is a write off.

Big downside to the puck system is the amount of space it takes up inside the pannier, and you have to open them wherever the bike is to get them off. Which can be sub optimal if it's bucketing down.

Lidl carrier bags work extremely well though, they're a perfect fit for the 35l Touratech pannier. ;-)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
+1 on the lidl/aldi plastic bags for zegas, or the tesco "bag for life" (which will be replaced free if you bust it but my mrs hasnt managed to yet and she could break an anvil just by being in the same room as it)

i dont have ally panniers i have honda plastic panniers, im not a fan of the proper inner bags myself, i think they take up a lot of valuable room. its just as easy to unclip them and carry them around like small cases.

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1 on the lidl/aldi plastic bags for zegas, or the tesco "bag for life" (which will be replaced free if you bust it but my mrs hasnt managed to yet and she could break an anvil just by being in the same room as it)

i dont have ally panniers i have honda plastic panniers, im not a fan of the proper inner bags myself, i think they take up a lot of valuable room. its just as easy to unclip them and carry them around like small cases.
At the risk of going slightly off topic. I'm all for inner bags. I just bought a set of Givi ones specifically designed for my V35 panniers, on PLX frames.

Last year I got a right bollocking off a surly French motel maid after I got a mixture of road grit & chain lub smeared onto her clean sheets, after I put my cases on the bed to unpack / pack! I'm not risking that again!

Also I like the way stuff doesn't fall out, when you open the bottom hinged lids, when the cases are on the bike, especially LHS when on the sidestand!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts