Honda XRV Forum banner

moved clutch and break leavers in further on the handle bars .

760 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  alias 
#1 ·
I will be moving house and the gate way is only 3 foot wide miserable bastards couldn't have made it wider . so I decided to relocate the fittings and fixtures on the bars . the light switch and start button cant be moved unless extra holes are drilled or the locating tabs ground off . I went ahead and pushed in the clutch and break cylinder about 3/4 " as I had them opened up already this has made the clutch lighter to operate and a stronger break due to extra leverage .

it is recommended anyway to position the leavers inside the width of the handle bars to prevent them from breaking if the bike falls over . that's the theory anyway . I have heard of people drilling a series of holes in the leavers out at the end in case the bike falls only the end will break off . the bike has oxford heated grips that don't work so im going to junk them and change them . any suggestions of some decent quality hard wearing comfortable grips that wont break the bank please ?

just taught I would share the handy tip maybe the should have been in there already and some idiot put them on wrong ?

then I went for a spin around the bog roads I enjoyed it so much I done 2 laps it was like riding trough a jungle its that over grown the bike was steady as a rock on the slipy stuff on its new continental conti escape tyres great tyre on or off road .

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you not make the gate wider ? :)

Ive always used renthal grips on my enduros or road bikes when I've changed the bars. Not had any issues with them.

Only experience from enduro bikes but a lot of the levers are designed to snap at the ends to allow you to carry on riding and avoid further damage. Another tip I picked up was to remove both the clutch and front brake perch/brackets, wrap the area they clamp onto the bars with ptfe tape before tightening back up. The ptfe tape should allow the clutch/brake controls to slip under impact rather than snap

#3 ·
thanks curl I will have a look at rental grips :thumbup:the extra width of the oxford grips might make all the difference . the gate is on the side of the wall so its in the way so I am thinking about relocating it to the back of the wall so when it swings back it will allow another another 3 or 4 inches or so and I can just put a longer bolt on it . I will still have to remove the pannier boxes to go in and out which is a pain that's how come I don't use them any more I don't want to get caught talking to the neighbour who all I have in common with is we live next door to each other . with the top box I just pull up leave bike running walk up the path open gate ride in messing about with panniers its turn bike off take off boxes take in boxes to the back garden go back out for bike that gives him a chance to come out and hold me up talking bollocks about nothing :blah5: when all I want to do is go in and eat my dinner and chill with my family not make small talk with an arsehole who every word is a riddle just trying to draw me out saying shit to see how I respond . at this stage I am a closed book when it comes to him .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.