Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first fill after fitting the new Iridium Sparks and K&N Air Filter... (Had a quick Jolly Down to Brighton on firms time, can't be bad :D )

So, 446.1 total miles covered, 38.55Ltrs Filled... (To the same level I always fill to before anyone starts :wink: ) thats 8.479532 Gallons, so 52.6mpg...

Thats about 12%-17% mpg increase on previous recordings... So can't be all bad :D Well thats is until that is you do the maths... The payback for the £90 outlay won't be returned until I've covered approx 8089miles, by which time I'll probably have to change the Plugs again, OK OK I'll just clean the filter though :wink:

Just thought I'd share :D

Thanx

(OH FWIW I was wearing my old boots :D )

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That's quite a lot. :shock: What state were your plugs and filter in before you changed them?
I am running a K&N and NGK iridiums for a couple of months in my AT and have no measurable difference in mpg at all (apart from normal variations). Same on my 2 other bikes.

NGK has some optimistic claim of around 1% gain in mpg (handy, because that's hardly to prove (wrong) under real-world conditions), and K&N do not publish figures which is understandable since OE filters come in all kinds of model / material so any alleged gain will vary.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
robelst said:
That's quite a lot. :shock: What state were your plugs and filter in before you changed them?
Robelst, And in here may lie the answer... As posted on this thread rob, I had massive aggro with the front N/S plug and HT leads. When I got it out eventually it appeared to be the original plug as supplied new, and the Gap was non-existent, although the other 3 where fine...

Ummmm..... Could a single crap plug account for all that increase? (No asking really, me real dumb in the ways of this maintance stuff!)

Thanx

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't know for sure of course, although I once discovered a loose plug-lead (!) a couple of months after buying the bike and fixing this did help increase mpg noticeably, although not more than 10%. Point is I also replaced the air-filter and all plugs so this wasn't a "clean" test either.

In my experience the AT is relatively uneconomical when running shorter distances. Maybe it's because it's such a "cold-running" bike, having 2 rads plus an oil-cooler to keep that relatively timid engine under thermal control? Mine improved 5-10% when my commute distance grew from 11 to 20 miles (and still on the same A38, so no real other differences). My 2 other bikes did not show this difference so much.
My AT gets even more economical when doing distances over 100 miles at once (from 45 to nearly 50 mpg); provided I don't get bored and start running it at over 90 mph :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
at least you're not like Phoenix, he had a Remus can fitted so added a K&N filter and dyno jet kit and has now got a decease of 20-25% in his MPG, in other words hes lost between 40 and 50 miles to reserve! Not too good. :(

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Simon said:
at least you're not like Phoenix, he had a Remus can fitted so added a K&N filter and dyno jet kit and has now got a decease of 20-25% in his MPG, in other words hes lost between 40 and 50 miles to reserve! Not too good. :(
Maybe the Dyno-kit causes a too rich mixture? They often do that, if not from new than usually later on because of the soft material Dyno Jets are made off :? . My old Fj1100 dropped from 38 mpg to below 25 in only 20.000 miles (no it wasn't a stick choke :wink: ), and was back to its old self after refitting the OE jets/needles, and blowing out a few tonnes of black deposits from the exhausts :lol:

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
robelst said:
My AT gets even more economical when doing distances over 100 miles at once (from 45 to nearly 50 mpg)
Ahhh... Makes sense cus I only do longish runs... That and I am 'Captain Slow', I ride like a Girlie apparently (No offence Girls), which could conclude that Eloisa should Naturally get 50+mpg with my style of Riding and the distances, just she needed that good old service...

Thanx dude :D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oxbone said:
£90 for 4 plugs?
Iirc a K&N filter is around £40-45?
Four NGK iridium plugs can be had for 25 - 40 squid, depending where you get 'm, so that's nearing the 90 pound mark :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Re: MPG'S Effect after fitting Iridium Sparks & K&N

mikefletcheruk said:
Just did my first fill after fitting the new Iridium Sparks and K&N Air Filter... (Had a quick Jolly Down to Brighton on firms time, can't be bad :D )

So, 446.1 total miles covered, 38.55Ltrs Filled... (To the same level I always fill to before anyone starts :wink: ) thats 8.479532 Gallons, so 52.6mpg...

Thats about 12%-17% mpg increase on previous recordings... So can't be all bad :D Well thats is until that is you do the maths... The payback for the £90 outlay won't be returned until I've covered approx 8089miles, by which time I'll probably have to change the Plugs again, OK OK I'll just clean the filter though :wink:

Just thought I'd share :D

Thanx

(OH FWIW I was wearing my old boots :D )
Eugen1 got about 30000 miles i think from a set of iridum plugs so you should get your money back sooner.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: MPG'S Effect after fitting Iridium Sparks & K&N

Simon said:
Eugen1 got about 30000 miles i think from a set of iridum plugs so you should get your money back sooner.
Ohh 30K Now that would be kool :D

S

·
0 Posts
ok, getting the produro can on i noticed the mid-range being a bit flat. So i cleaned the air filter, bought slightly larger main jets, drilled out the slide to improve throttle response and changed the plugs to iridium.

Result: Smoother and quicker. After hearing about how Phoenix had lost 40-50mile to a tank after rejetting i was worried so i tested the range. The only time i've seen what mileage i get to reserve i got 215miles, this time i got 218miles. Don't think its enough to say its any different but its no worse and the bike is smoother and faster.

Now thats what i call a result! :thumb:

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
mmmm, now my 07a has a Remus can and K&N filter, but I dont know which plugs and jets/needles its got. I'm getting good fuel consumption - no figures as yet as I've not really been that arrsed about it, but I fill up with super unleaded every 100 miles or so and I can only squeeze in just over 8 quid every time, so that cant be bad for a 24L tank now can it?...

I'll have to take a better look at the figures - I'll stick a note-pad in the bar bag and start recording it all from now on. The main reason being is that It'll soon be new plugs time and if I'm not going to get much more out of her, then I might just stick to stock plugs and not shell out the extra on iridium jobbies......... And as for a dyna-jet kit - I commute on the thing and never really go much above 80 and she's plenty fast enough to see off the local boy-racer types (and our lass in her girly MR2 :wink: .....), so cant see much point in it - or am I wrong?....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts