Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi lads i have a german import but with the irish speed limits haveing been changed to kmph i need to change my speedo from mph to kph i think there is a sticker that goes over the mph speedo but not sure any help would be great as i an going faster than i should be [but its probably cause its black but gaurds wont belive me that black ones are faster] thanks lads

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
My UK 'mph' speedo has KPH on the inner circle already, are you sure yours hasn't?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
hi all the german @s i have had only had kliks on so if your bike has been converted to mph then just remove the convertor ( possably a blue thingmyjig directly under the speedo ) and your good to go.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Have a look at this thread, and this one.

Then have a look at this article on the ATiC site.

These are available if you like them.

Or you could just swap your dash over by buying a set of clocks from Ebay Germany/France/Italy, etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it has kph in the small version but need the main version dont want to spend to much time looking down at de clocks also are they easy enough to dismantel to replace with kph thanks

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
[but its probably cause its black but gaurds wont belive me that black ones are faster]
They aren't..........:D SILVER, SILVER, SILVER! :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
You could just do the conversion in your head.:rolleyes:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I've got an rd04 with a kmh speedo as well. At the moment it's got those little round stickers ontop of the speedo cover (was like this when I got the bike). In England at least I think they're legal (and it went through it's mot just before I got it), but I find them a bit of a pain myself, wondering if I'm going too slow or speeding (as there's a fair gap between the cover and the face of the clock, depending what angle you look at it will give a different reading). If you're going to use an overlay I'd try to place it on the surface of the clock itself rather than on top of the clear cover.

I took the clock face off when I fitted led bulbs, and that's quite easy to get off. I was thinking of printing or having made up a three-quarter-donut shaped sticker to go around the edge to make it into mph. My concern was that they mightn't be so visible in the dark (the original ones seem to glow a bit under the light so must have some reflective paint or something). The other option I was thinking of was to get some of that reflective vinyl and have someone I know cut me some stickers out of it (not sure if their vinyl cutter will cut numbers that small effectively or how easy they'd be to apply but might be worth a try).

I don't know how easy it is getting the needle off to replace the whole clock face though. I decided not to venture that far as I had tons of other stuff to do and was concerned about breaking it.

Those replacement faces that stormforce posted look really good. If the needle is easy to get off to put them in and the guy can make mph ones I might get one of those myself. Unless they're reflective perhaps there might still be an issue with readability in the dark though (white ones might be better perhaps). Has anyone done this, and is it a pain to get the needles off?

Something else I was a bit put off about was replacing the whole face with another face or replacing with a whole new clock was that the milage would be a bit different, or I'd end up with a mph speedo and kmh milage (keeping the original kmh clock with a new face). Not sure if this is an issue, but explaining it if I ever come to sell the bike I figured might be a bit awkward.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
I had this problem the other way round and found that the RD04 mph clocks are directly interchangeable with the RD03 kph clocks, so you caouls get a scrapper (or do a deal with someone who wants to swap the other way), of course if you've got an RD07 then this is of no help whatsoever.

Regards changing clocks, you should keep a record of the mileage and inform any buyer when you sell it on, it is an offence to mislead a buyer, but not to show him a clock with 7,000 miles on it and then say "it did 56000 km on the old clock as well" as long as you make it clear to them it shouldn't be a problem, especially as you have a good reason for it :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just taken my clock apart and it looks like th trickest thing is getting the needle of to remove the face plate. Tried a bit of gentle persuasion but om reluctant to apply much force in case I snap it off, and seeing as I've already busted my brake pin thread this morning with a little over enthusiasm, does anyone knwo how to get these needles off?

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
You need to get a pair of pincers or similar that will hook round the needle and just close on the shaft, then slide them up th shaft till they tap on the back of the needle, just keep tapping gently and it will come off, don't twist the needle or it will snap off or damage the boss where it goes onto the shaft.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I didn't realise you could take the needles off like that. I took one look at the diagram in the service manual and thought "f*ck that" at the time I was considering it :D

That's good to know.

If it's not too much trouble razzledazzle, when you get the face off if you could do a scan of it and post it up at a reasonably large size, I can try making up a vector file in illustrator and getting some reflective vinyl overlays cut. If I can get the needle off mine then I could do the same with the kmh ones and post them up or try to get some extra ones cut for other members (assuming it works - he doesn't have a vinyl printer but his cutter might cut the digits small enough - though getting some vinyl overlay stickers printed up on reflective vinyl probably wouldn't be too expensive if I can find someone to do it - my cousins wife works for a signmaker as well so she might be able to get some done for me if they have a printer and cutter).

We could do some donut ones as well that might be helpful to other members here who want to change their clocks but without needing to take the needles off. Assuming there aren't any liability or legal issues in doing that ofcourse.

I think there are a few people here who'll have kmh or mph bikes that they might be interested in converting. Posting the templates up might be helpful for anyone who fancies making their own customised ones as well.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
If you're going to use overlays, cut a hole in the middle for the needle shaft and cut a slit vertically from the bottom of the dial to the centre hole, then twist it slightly to slide over the shaft with the needle still in place, make the cut with a scalpel or other sharp blade and it will be hardly noticable when the dial's glued down

·
Registered
136 Posts
You could just do the conversion in your head.:rolleyes:
exactly - i have a kmph one, and you just remember that 80kmph is 50mph, and 40 kmph is ok for 30 mph limits.:thumbup:

don't know what 70mph relates to, but since i rarely go that fast anyway i don't really care [oops, shouldn't have admitted that]

·
Registered
136 Posts
exactly - i have a kmph one, and you just remember that 80kmph is 50mph, and 40 kmph is ok for 30 mph limits.:thumbup:

don't know what 70mph relates to, but since i rarely go that fast anyway i don't really care [oops, shouldn't have admitted that]

in other words

40 kph is ok for 30 mph limit
60 kph is ok for 40 mph limit
80 kph is 50 mph limit
110 kph is ok for 70 mph limit

·
Registered
204 Posts
Miles to kilometres calculation is very common amongst road cyclists for various reasons. It's easy if you do it enough. Divide by five and multiply by eight.

30mph = 48km/h
40mph = 64km/h
50 = 80
60 = 96
70 = 112
80 = 128

They are close enough to be safe to round up:
30mph to 50km/h
60 to 100
80 to 130

1 - 18 of 18 Posts