Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to raise this one again. I know that screen issues on the Vara have been discussed countless times in here before!

After following all the threads on here re Vara screens, and having tried the alternative Givi Flip screen, I invested and fitted the MRA Vario screen, as from the Info on here it seemed to be the answer to my problems with wind noise on my Vara (08/09 ABS model)

Having fitted the MRA screen, I have to say, I'm left a little dissapointed, as I have noticed no discernable difference in the wind noise with the MRA screen fitted. My fault I suppose for expecting a miracle cure!

I have tried all the different screen height positions and aerofoil angle position settings and combinations of both. What is the consensus on here for the best postion / angle combination for the MRA Vario. I'm around 6'2" by the way as this may be relevant to this!

I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem may be more due to my helmet.( Arai Viper GT) which I know is not the quietest lid on the market! The noise is better with my other helmet, Arai Tour X, and I don't remember it being so bad with my old helmet, Shoei XR900, with the original screen!

Can anyone advise, as now I am concious of the wind noise issue, it's driving me to distraction, and experimenting with different screen & helmet combinations on a trial & error basis is strating to get expensive.

What works?

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Sorry to disappoint but there is no answer to your question

A few have cut down the original screen to get the full wind direct on the helmet, as this is what the helmets were designed for, (without trying to be a cocky arse)

Madsted have brought out an adapter for VStroms and a universal bracket, it looked good on paper so I made my own and took it off without testing it, it looked ****e with the screen mounted over an inch away from the front cowling and with any adjustment it was up to six inches away (crap)

I dont think anyone has found the ultimate solution with you hight I would try the cut down or at least fitting your MRA at the lowest point

I've now got my MRA mounted on half of my Madsted clone and pushed up as high as I can secure it (about 2 half inches above the norm)
it helps but I'm a short arse

·
Registered
417 Posts
Earplugs :D

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
personally i think on the vara the screen is so far forward of the rider whatever you do wont make much difference. ive got the standard screen and i can barely notice any difference between high and low setting, and thats nearly a 50mm change which made a massive difference on my old sports bike.
im also 6'2", have you noticed how good it is when you duck down behind the screen a little? so i think its simply too far away. i have also tried it with the screen completely off, it is marvelously quiet around town but awful from 50mph+.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
What a shame that the MRA didn't work for you. I'm 5'10" and with the screen MRA low and foil high it definitely reduces buffetting, but not to zero. (I'll try the screen on the high setting soon.) As others have suggested, there is fundamental design flaw in that the screen is quite vertical and some distance forward of the rider.

A few years ago I trimmed a screen right down low, and that produced reasonable air flow. It's okay for the summer but a tall screen is good for keeping the cold air and road spray off me in the winter. Try removing your screen completely and see if it helps. At least you'll know whether improvements are possible! (And it's free.)
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/10820-screen.html#post110964

In general Arai helmets aren't great for noise; the Viper GT isn't as bad as some Arais, not many exposed vents so it looks like it should create moderate noise. I swapped from a Shoei XR1000 to a BMW Sport and that helped a bit.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/media/pdf/rider-equipment.pdf (see page 24).

I imagine you're wearing ear plugs regardless of screen and helmet?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm with you on this one. MRA was no better for me than the stock screen. It didn't matter how I adjusted the deflector, there were no differences to me. It was a total dissappointment.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Have you tried putting a couple of holes lower down on the screen, similar to having a gap for air to pass under the front to create a cushion of air.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
what were the screens baglux used to sell? im sure it was a french firm and they were with baglux for a while but i cant find anything about them now. they did a touring screen that was 50mm wider both sides and 60mm taller

C

·
0 Posts
It may not be relevant since I've an AT, but I had the very same experience (I'm also 6'2"). Only the addition of a Touratech deflector on top of the MRA finally sorted most probs.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
In my experience no amount of screen adjustment, custom screens or minor modifications is going make wind noise go away completely. I have never ridden a goldwing or similar with a truly massive fairing but my guess is that as long as your head is in the breeze you will get some wind noise. I have an MRA on my vara set on low, but I don't find the position of the deflector makes that much difference. What I did find with the MRA was that type of noise produced is much more tolerable and a bit less than a standard screen or a Givi touring screen I also have. The main advantage of the MRA though is that I don't get affcted by turbulence as much or at higher speeds from vibration - whch was enough to affect my vision at times. The quietest set up on both my vara and TA is a severely cut down screen but not so good in rain and didn't deal with turbulence or vibration as good as the MRA. I also wear earplugs which is the simplest solution.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ive ridden both a wing and a pan-euro, both had excellent screens and you could easily hear the steroes at speed (a stereo system on a bike, i ask you. nice systems too well done honda). i would say the pan was the best, the screen was so effective the wind went round you and pressed on your back, leaving you in a kind of bubble of still air and there was very little noise. but then going slow in hot weather there was no cooling wind at all so it had downsides.

but we dont ride pans or wings, so its pointless comparing their screens with a vara i know, but it goes to show it can be done. personally i like a little bit of wind and noise, but on an all day ride on m-ways/autoroutes it really gets to you and i wear earplugs.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A portion of the noise is from the engine being funnelled up in front of the rider, the lower screen with defector reduces this noise thereby making the sound more tolerable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts