Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I was planning for me for Christmas has fallen through (not my size in stock for months!!!) so I am now desperately planning something else.

I have fancied a multi fuel burner for a while - all the advantages of a Trangia, plus the option to burn petrol. But when I look atthe instructions it says

"E. NEVER use other fuel kinds than those the stove is designed for. AVOID use of

automobile (car) gasoline
as fuel for a stove. Automobile gasoline contains a lot of additives
that are needed as lubricants etc. in a car engine. These additives are not burnt properly in a stove. Instead they escape as extremely health hazardous fuel vapor and exhaust fumes that may cause cancer. Furthermore, unleaded automobile gasoline may in some cases damage rubber components in seals, o-rings etc which could lead to fuel leaks on the stove. Use white gasoline, heptane and similar instead of car gasoline. Please note that any fuel containing benzene and other additives is extremely health hazardous and should be used only for short times."

Which is a bit of a surprise as that must apply to burning petrol in any stove and to my mind removes the advantage when travelling with a bike - a nice ready reserve of camping fuel.

So whaddya reckon - marketing hyperbole to make you buy Trangia's/Coleman's extra expensive white gas or a genuine cautionary statement?

S

·
0 Posts
Modern petrol's nasty stuff - unleaded contains Benzene and from what I gather that's pretty nasty stuff to inhale even when you're filling the tank, let alone when you're burning it in the vicinity of stuff you're planning to eat. And as for all the other stuff in petrol....:shock:

Personally I don't think this is marketing bo**ocks - stick with fuels designed for stove use. Petrol ain't what it used to be........

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Hi Austin
had my Coleman petrol stove for 5 years now only ever put unleaded petrol in it out of the bike.
It works brilliant just as good as when i got it. No problems with it at all.

Simon

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think to burn petrol in a stove it needs to be pressurised, you can't just fill the Trangia burner with petrol, it will turn everything black and is extremely dangerous in that type of burner. I think you can get a petrol burner for the Trangia - I'd be interested myself in one, cos as you say you're carrying a supply of fuel anyway. The Trangia gets through meths at a pretty swift rate and it's not that cheap.... maybe time to try Poteen, after all you can drink that too :D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think to burn petrol in a stove it needs to be pressurised, you can't just fill the Trangia burner with petrol, it will turn everything black and is extremely dangerous in that type of burner. I think you can get a petrol burner for the Trangia - I'd be interested myself in one, cos as you say you're carrying a supply of fuel anyway. The Trangia gets through meths at a pretty swift rate and it's not that cheap.... maybe time to try Poteen, after all you can drink that too :D
Chris, its a special adapter device that sits in the space for the Meths burner and hooks up to a pressure bottle. A bit pricey, but hey its Christmas.

This is the cheapest I could find http://www.blacktoe.co.uk/trangia/multi-fuel.htm

Simon, does the coleman say that vehicle Petrol should not be used or just not mention it?

I still have the feeling that this is a bit of marketing bo**ocks plus a bit of Health and Safety overkill.

L

·
0 Posts
Our coleman has unleaded pertrol on the box. It does need presurizing to start the initial burn but then the heat transfer pipe takes over and warms up the petrol slightly thus increasing it's vapour rate.

Only problem though is that the pump seal went on it and we've not got around to getting a new one, simple solution though i to put a teaspoon of petrol under th heat pipe and set it alight, it soon kicks in the process though not a recommended way of starting it..

Kymmy

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sod it, I have ordered one. A bit more digging about revealed that the burner is an adpated "optimus Nova", that gets absolutely rave reviews everywhere and is seriously expensive as well. That and the thought that if I use normal petrol it won't be often and if I keep upwind it will be fine.

Merry Christmas

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Might be a bit late here is the stove. It says Coleman fuel & unleaded gasoline are extremly flammable on the red lable.

Simon

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
gasoline is extremely flammable? no shit? isnt that the point?

reminds me of last month when i read a label on the snack i was eating in the pub, it said "warning- this product contains nuts" and it was a packet of peanuts!!

to the point! i used to have the big brother coleman to the one in the pic above, it worked great with unleaded. like kymmy said, i think the pressurization of the tank and the vapour tube thingy must clean the fuel out or make it burn better, or something, i never had any problems. wouldnt use it indoors though, but who would be that stupid? (the same people who need "gasoline burns" and "these peanuts contain nuts" labels, i guess!, the sort you read about in the darwin awards):confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
gasoline is extremely flammable? no shit? isnt that the point?

to the point! i used to have the big brother coleman to the one in the pic above, it worked great with unleaded. like somone said, i think the pressurization of the tank and the vapour tube thingy must clean the fuel out or make it burn better, or something, i never had any problems. wouldnt use it indoors though, but who would be that stupid? (the same people who need "gasoline burns" and "these peanuts contain nuts" labels, i guess!, the sort you read about in the darwin awards):confused::confused::confused::confused:
In the Army they used to use a No 1 burner for cooking that was gasoline powered, needed a trench for the exhaust, One day a cook caught a barn alight with the backfire as he tried to start it. 30 Ft flame thrower:grin::grin::grin:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I had better be prepared for boiling the sprouts on my new toy on christmas day so went out to get some Coleman Fuel today - £5.50 for 1/2 litre. :blob6:

The "Champagne" I will have with Xmas lunch isn't even that expensive.

Like a numpty I bought 2 half litre bottles:confused: :tool:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
dont bother, run it on unleaded.

or drink the fuel and run the stove on scotch?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts