Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had most big trail bikes over the years KLR600, Cagiva 500 and 650 elephant, Tenere 600, XL600 LMF but settled and loved my Africa Twin since 1996, then recently had a mid life crisis and give my old AT to my manager for his 25th year working for our company and bought a BMW GS800 Adventure, didn't like it and traded it in for a new Triumph Tiger XCA with all the kit...

Great bike, nice ride but something was missing, when I had to take it back to the dealer as the throttle response was a bit slow, the service department said they would put it on the computer to adjust the throttle, this got me thinking my bikes destiny was in the hands of a main dealer and from then the Tiger was doomed....

Its fate was sealed when my manager bought the old At round for a service and got to ride it again, just love the V Twin power delivery and realised what was missing with the Tiger...

Got a good deal on a 2001 Africa Twin from J&S with low miles and decided to bring it the modern world, bought some stuff from Boano, then found my bench mark bike at Rugged Roads which I think is a classic...

Here is my progress so far, test ride was great, next on to paint watch this space

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nicely done and well laid out cockpit. The new forks must really transform the bike. If you want to sell all the original bits, let me know!

·
Clutchup.co.za
131 Posts
Im pretty envious about the dash and forks too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, yes I will be selling everything I took off as soon as I have finished and will itemise the parts available, are you not in Canada or US though?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cheers, yes I will be selling everything I took off as soon as I have finished and will itemise the parts available, are you not in Canada or US though?
Yes, I am in Hudson, Wisconsin in the USA. So yes, you guessed it, I am very used to having to pay for shipping on all my AT parts since Honda never sold these wonderful bikes over here.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
So yes, you guessed it, I am very used to having to pay for shipping on all my AT parts since Honda never sold these wonderful bikes over here.
You bet. I have an RD03 and a RD07a, and every order has to be done from Europe... Very few parts are available from North America. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not sure if this link will work

Be here is the progress so far, MOT on Monday then off for graphics at The Image Works

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No its a carbon fibre boano one, but its a blank plate and you can add what you like to it, thanks Dave

·
Registered
175 Posts
cheers Dave..
it looks the business... as does the rest of the bike... that front fairing really makes some difference..

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Bike looks great. I am not sure about the stepped "comfort seat" though. Looks very out of sync with the rest...

Let us know what brand is your big dial? How do you like it?

TIA

Lee

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know what you mean with the seat it was a bit of a gamble, but is very comfy and will see how it looks when its stickered up
The speedo is a Koso RX 2N from Rugged Roads, easy install with a little help from RR on the set up
The speedo itself is great, accurate against the sat nav, big speed display and nice rpm dial, downside small indicator light which is why I installed a separate indicator light on the instrument panel
2 temp sensors, wouldn't bother personal with the oil one as its located on a new sump plug and mine leaked, now using it as a ambient air temp sensor.
Must point out it takes a level of commitment if you are going to buy one as you have to chop into your wiring harness and lose all the original clocks and trip, which I still think work well with the AT
I had already gone down the new Boano fairing road which means you have to remove most of the original cockpit
thanks for your interest

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the original livery done by Image Works in Nottingham
DSC_0706.JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The carbon fibre tank leaked so had to go back to the steel original and a new livery
20201128_204536.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts