Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to trail bikes as I have just bought an old (94) Transalp - which I love having come from sports bikes - brilliant view of the road, great torque from the twin, and pretty good handling too, which I wasn't expecting. Overall I'm very happy to be on the XL....it's quite relaxing not going at sports bike speeds.

Can anyone help if they have had a similar issue. I bought a pair of AXO boots from ebay yesterday - only been used a couple of times and I think they are pretty cool. The issue is that I have just tried them on the bike (stationary) and it is near impossible to hook the left boot under the gear leaver without contorting your leg forwards as if you are falling on your knees....I'm sure that it wouldn't be safe riding like that! There just dosn't seem to be the space for a hard core MX boot to get in there. The only thing I can think of doing is to remove the foot peg rubbers to open up the gap between the peg and lever....has anyone had similar issues?

If so how did you fix it? The pegs don't look adjustable, and I really don't want to sell the boots! That would be a pain...

Any help greatfully recieved

Cheers
Rog

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate,i'd suggest adjusting the position of the lever,move it up a bit. It does mean you have to lift your foot to sort of stamp it down the gears but enables the boot to get under the lever. If htey're new boots you have to give them a bit of time to loosen and soften up a bit,it's a case of looking stupid in front of the mrs walking round in them to break them in.i soak mine in the bath in warm water then wear them while really wet and soft so the leather gives more easily.Once dry they feel miles better.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to trail bikes as I have just bought an old (94) Transalp - which I love having come from sports bikes - brilliant view of the road, great torque from the twin, and pretty good handling too, which I wasn't expecting. Overall I'm very happy to be on the XL....it's quite relaxing not going at sports bike speeds.

Can anyone help if they have had a similar issue. I bought a pair of AXO boots from ebay yesterday - only been used a couple of times and I think they are pretty cool. The issue is that I have just tried them on the bike (stationary) and it is near impossible to hook the left boot under the gear leaver without contorting your leg forwards as if you are falling on your knees....I'm sure that it wouldn't be safe riding like that! There just dosn't seem to be the space for a hard core MX boot to get in there. The only thing I can think of doing is to remove the foot peg rubbers to open up the gap between the peg and lever....has anyone had similar issues?

If so how did you fix it? The pegs don't look adjustable, and I really don't want to sell the boots! That would be a pain...

Any help greatfully recieved

Cheers
Rog
I would have thought you could remove the gear lever and move it round one or maybe two teeth. I moved mine on the @ and I imagine it's the same set up. Two minute job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps.

Will move the lever tonight, and hopefully have a good ride tomorrow, then perhaps sick them in the bath....great tip.

Regards
Rog

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was told by my late Dad that peeing in your boots was the answer.:confused: fatmal
P.s as you get older it almost becomes automatic:rolleyes:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Goes back to the old cavalry days,the old thigh high cavalry boots were as hard as hell,and when on duty there was no rushing off for a pee so the troopers used to just pee in their boots (they still do on horseguards duty in london unless your sitting on a horse). Made them a bit smelly but soft as slippers at the bottom. I do believe the ladies at the tanning factory use piss as part of the leather preperation at the connoly hide factory.
Can't say i ever did it but did have some really smelly socks when the boots came off.
I always soaked my combat boots and did the first run with them sopping wet and tied tight and they stretched and creased lovely so i never got any blisters. Now I do it with motorbike boots and it works the same,my alpinestars are comfy as slippers and bend in all the right places to change gear and brake etc.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Goes back to the old cavalry days,the old thigh high cavalry boots were as hard as hell,and when on duty there was no rushing off for a pee so the troopers used to just pee in their boots (they still do on horseguards duty in london unless your sitting on a horse). Made them a bit smelly but soft as slippers at the bottom. I do believe the ladies at the tanning factory use piss as part of the leather preperation at the connoly hide factory.
Can't say i ever did it but did have some really smelly socks when the boots came off.
I always soaked my combat boots and did the first run with them sopping wet and tied tight and they stretched and creased lovely so i never got any blisters. Now I do it with motorbike boots and it works the same,my alpinestars are comfy as slippers and bend in all the right places to change gear and brake etc.
We used to use neets foot oil also or I think thats how its said, to soften leathers in the Army, but the river run did it for me:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
We used to use neets foot oil also or I think thats how its said, to soften leathers in the Army, but the river run did it for me:thumbup:
I used to find that it took a couple of days to dry them properly, at room temp. Some used to put them in the drying room which caused them to crack and wear out faster.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been in the same situation :thumbup: and trust me the old saying "horse's for courses" is true here.I've Apinestar tech boots but there no use on my @ but grand on the Dommie.

I've moved gear levers,moisted them, etc etc trying to make them work but in IMO you shouldn't let fashion dictate safety.New boots that work for you is needed :thumbup:

:blob7:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Must admit had similar problems when I splashed out on some Alpinestars Tech 3's...like walking in cast iron blocks...adjusted the gear change all over the show, walked around the house/garden looking like a right pillock...haven't been able to live with them so far.

Ended up buying some cheapies from Lidl, but these are too soft when I'm on the pegs, so have widened the grips on the pegs...god I'm a fussy git. See the mod here for those who may be interested... Transalp Mods - a set on Flickr

Actually might give the walking round with wet boots a go, (neighbours think I've lost the plot anyway), but drawing the line at pissing on them.... well any more than usual!

Cheers

Potski

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Sorry to have to correct you but knowing many horseguard troopers your comment is a load of crap, I think every new recruit is told that pissing in your boots is the best thing, I never met one single soldier that has tried.
Neatsfoot is very good but you'll never get a shine on the leather again so no good for parade boots.
Some boots in there construction are over stiff, especially competition cross boots as they have to give as much protection as possible, move your gear lever up a notch or two but watch for clearance, I holed my DR650 engine casing with the gear lever, not nice.
I have to agree with Lam if it aint working get rid of the boots and try a different make,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for all the help....and strange peeing stuff!

After moving the lever the boots worked. But today it was just too damned hot for full on MX Boots - so used my old well worn road boots. Final comment from Lam was the clincher: safety. I'll break them in slowly and then ride in them if I feel confident.:angel9:

Rog

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would have thought you could remove the gear lever and move it round one or maybe two teeth. I moved mine on the @ and I imagine it's the same set up. Two minute job.
I fitted a AT gear leaver to my old TA and moved up 2 teeth. The MX boot fit under it fine now. Easy modification and well worth it.:thumbleft:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have just had a thought.
Could a lever from the old C5/70/90 bikes fit ?
If so then no need to get the foot under the pedal as it is a rocker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts