Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know what the problem is with this but thought I'd ask the experts first;);) as to what you think....

My front brake has become progessivley soft and now you can pull the lever almost all the way in and still only get very little stopping power...:confused:

The disk is new as of 6k miles ago, along with the pads have plenty of meat left on them, and the fluid level is fine..... BUT.... the lever does not return fully back to the start position, and this is due to the piston not pushing back fully on the master cylinder (the bit under the reservoir that the lever pushes...)...

Was thinking of doing the following to eleviate the problem....
1-bleed the brakes to see if there is air in the system
2-change the fluid for new, as not been changed so far, and had the bike for near 18 months now...
3-final option... get new/replacement master cylinder

What do peeps think, or can offer any more suggestions....:confused:

Like I said, the disk is near new, the pads have plenty of meat left, there are no visable leaks of fluid anywhere, and there is plenty of fluid in the system.... so apart from doing the above I'm puzzled as to what else it could be...:confused:

Thanks

Titch.:thumbleft:

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
I'd also check the condition of your brake lines to make sure you don't have a weak point which is bulging when you pull the brake lever.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
It depends on how old the bike is and what condition the brake hose is in. My guess would be that it could be the piston seal in the master cylinder worn

I've had the same symptoms before on another bike and just bought a piston seal kit

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I would buy a seal kit for the master cylinder and calipers, completely replace the brake fluid and pipes. In other words completely overhaul the brakes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd also check the condition of your brake lines to make sure you don't have a weak point which is bulging when you pull the brake lever.
Forgot to mention that bit... have checked the brake line, and it looks reasonably new, and is a braided hose line... no bulges or leaks....

In ref to master cylinder replacment/repair kits... a friend of mine said he doesn't really rate them, and said it might be better to replace the full unit, either new or second hand... have found this on Ebay, but not sure...
HONDA XL600 TRANSALP XL 600 XL600V MASTER CYLINDER C24 on eBay (end time 27-Mar-10 11:39:17 GMT)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A proper servicing kit will make a difference.The one on ebay may work but may also need an overhaul, the best solution is to overhaul the one you have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A proper servicing kit will make a difference.The one on ebay may work but may also need an overhaul, the best solution is to overhaul the one you have.
Yes. I think the same.
In my old Transalp 600, after 12 or 13 years in use I had the same probleme.
Solution: change master cylinder repair kit.
You will have a new master cylinder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts