Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right here goes. took my bike into the garage this morning because it had a notch on the head bearing. now the bike come out of the garage and they tell me the front disk break is warped. so i took it for a quick ride and i noticed stright away that my steering was quite heavey and the bike was trying to lean to one side.now i had no problem with this last night it only noticed this since honda have told me and since it come out from the garage. my question is cant a warped disk on the front effect my bikes steering and cause it to want to lean over to one side?? or could it be something else?? any advise would be really helpful. thanks

G

·
Nope, a warped disk will bring in a juddering under braking but as it acts on a hub on a single spindle there's no way it'd pull to one side.

As the fronts been off do the usual checks especially for thinks that might impact on the steering, for example the fork legs not being level in the yokes, cables tangling the steering..did they do the fork oil/seals, doubt it for a head bearing but if yes then the levels might be off.. Also check the headrace for still being loose (excessive front/back play in the forks) or binding on the bearings for over tightening

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Maybe you got used to the notch and it feels weird now 'cos it's back to normal. However, the steering shouldn't feel heavy with new headrace bearings. I'd take it back and get them to check it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well all i know peeps is that my bike went in because it had a notch in the head bearing and now they are telling me the front break is warped. sounds unsual to me considering i doont use a front break much and it was fine last night on the way home from work. best way i can describe it is the bike felt un balanced and steering was heavey, i noticed it soon has i got on the bike and turned the handle bars from left to right when it was at a stand still and then i got on it took it for a quick ride and it just felt like the bike wated to lean over to one side. honda told be this is because the break is warped

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Yep, the twonks probably overtightened it :rolleyes:
I agree, if you overtighten steering head bearings you get a sort of rolling feeling from side to side when trying to ride in a straight line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so is that what they have done is over tighten it. so this had got nothing to do with the break????? if so why would honda allow me to take the bike away and then turn round and say its the break to me???

·
Registered
779 Posts
Warped brake discs aren't the end of the world. They're not ideal, but they can be warped to the point of 'technically you should replace this' whilst still feeling alright and without displaying the symptoms you describe.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Where are you Hammers? You might be able to have a forum member have a look at it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would warped brak disk give me the problems ive described and if not is it my head bearings has honda replaced them today

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
We'll see on another thread if we can rustle up some local expertise, but the brake disc will not make the bike lean or affect steering.

The brake disk runs between the pads on either side of it. If it is badly warped it will hit them as it runs through and there will be a drumming through the steering and maybe a wobble. If it is slightly warped the discs may retract enough after the wheel turns a few times to allow the bike to run without any noticeable symptoms. In either event, when braking the warped disc will cause a shudder through the handlebars &/or a weave, though not enough to throw the bike over. The real danger of it is that the brakes will not work smoothly as there will be different braking effect at different parts of the disc.

For the bike to want to lean, it either has a bent frame (which seems unlikely) or the headrace bearing has been fitted wrongly or overtightened. If it went into the garage riding straight and came out leaning, they have done something wrong but that is compLETEly unrelated to the brake disc, even if that also needs replacing.

I would not be surprised if they are using the brake as an excuse to get the bike in to correct the error so that when it comes out running true, they will be able to tell you they've fised it with a new brake disc. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
but if they new the bike was like that then y would they let me have it back wouldnt this then make it dangerous to ride. its like a rolling effect when im riding and like i said seems like the bike wants to lean over 1 side i noticed it when applying the rear break and at low speeds 20-30 mph. sound familer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh and yes the bike was fine has i used it last night to get home from work. i personally do not no how the front break could be warped has i always break using the rear break? hmmmm

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Easiest way to warp it is to drop it while the wheel's off. For instance, when replacing the headrace bearing...:rolleyes:

It won't warp through underuse (though you shouldn't get into the habit of using more back brake than front (I admit I do on one of my bikes))

Someone may be along shortly with some local advice http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/45300-norfolk-safehouse.html#post453976

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
best way i can describe it is the bike felt un balanced and steering was heavey, i noticed it soon has i got on the bike and turned the handle bars from left to right when it was at a stand still
really does sound like the head bearings are too tight to me, I did it once years ago on my first bike and the handling was terrible at slow speeds.

Yep, the twonks probably overtightened it :rolleyes:
couldn't have put it betterer :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so this is wot makes me angry y did honda try and fog me off and say it was the break and not the losen the bearing.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts