Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Whealie 
#1 ·
This is kinda a ride report.

Well Guys, I'm finally a proper member of the forum. I bought my first AT. Boxerdogs-1999 Black RD07a (The fastest colour I hear). :D

I heard about this forum from a friend of mine who has an AT. All it took was 3 days to get hooked. The AT just sounded fascinating. After some careful thought (yeah right) I decided I wanted one. My other half was very quick to point out that I already had a motorbike (Honda Shadow VT700) and that I never took it out. I opened her wardrobe and pointed to the 200 pairs of shoes (slight exaggeration) that haven't seen daylight since the day she bought them. The Nagging was over.:mrgreen:

I read through a lot of websites, bike trader and visited a few bike shops. The one thing that seemed to be quiet prevalent was that there was very few of them around. I think once you buy one, you never want to let it go. All the dealers were telling me that they're bullet proof and very seldom give trouble.Still I didn't want to be fleeced into paying big money to a dealer. So I came back to the drawing board....and there it was... Boxerdogs 1999 AT with a few extras. To make a long story short... I flew over, paid a deposit, and went back a week later and collected. :thumbright:

What an introduction to "my" new bike. Bearing in mind I only have a provisional license. And only managed to put 500 miles on my shadow in 5 years. I am really a beginner. As I was driving mostly motorway from Highbridge to Fishguard I ended up questioning my sanity. More than once on the journey. I was nearly blown of the bike a dozen times. Car/Truck :iroc: drivers don't seem to have any consideration for motorbikes and cut you off.
Anyhow, the last 50 or so miles were very pleasurable and in my head I was thinking "this was why I got the AT". The scenery was quiet pleasant, no speeding trucks, just cruising....I soon changed my mind back to the fact that I was mad.

After docking in Rosslare at 8:30pm (another 140 miles from home) a little old woman nearly ran me over while i was still on the boat....sorry son, didn't see you there was what she said. Bearing in mind this is a very big bike, lights were on... I shouted back get your eyes tested.:cussing:
Got off the ferry - My sanity was in question again...it was raining...this was not normal rain but more like an indian monsoon. My gear was not going to stay dry in this weather. The next 120 miles were numbing (along with my butt), visibility was poor, but the AT just took it in her stride. When I got about 30 miles from home the rain stopped. If I didn't decide to get rid of the bike at that point it looked like I was never going to get rid of it.

She now sits in the driveway, as it's too wide the fit down the side entrance of the house. I think leaving it in view will make me ride it more... and the fact that I bought a bike lug. So every time we go away in the car, the bike will come too.

I've taken it out a few times over the week end and my confidence is definatley increased. Don't think I'll ever be like some of the guys on here that love driving in the rain. I'm a 100% fair weather rider.

Thanks guys for all the advice :eek:ccasion5: i got over the last month. It made me make a quick decision.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well done 8)

i've just picked one up as well (rdo4). I found the engine really sweet - what did you think of it ?

I was lucky with my journey home - dark clouds everywhere, but i managed to miss any rain - but it was bloomin windy :shock: on the odd occasion i was nearly riding at 45 degrees to keep in a straight line - great fun :lol: (yes i'm a bit mad).

#8 ·
Ahhh you mean Boxerdog down the road from me not Bulldog! :mrgreen:

Great you've got one anyway, and that its gone to a good home.

I've owned many a bike and the first time in the rain I was suprised that the AT didn't falter. No dodgy electrics, no missing engine, just ran and ran whatever the weather, totally reliable. My Beemer has a lot to live up to!!
Enjoy and get yourself back over to these shores for some of the meets.

#9 ·
Had to bring the bike down to customs and excise for their pound of flesh. As I was filling out the questionaire I noticed something, which maybe you guys could explain. My frame/chassis number is JH2RD07a********** and the engine number is RD04E*******. It's 1999 but not sure if it's and RD04 or and RD07a. do you go by the chasis number or the engine number. If it's the engine number why would a 1999 have an older engine on it. :dontknow:

#10 ·
DaveS said:
Ahhh you mean Boxerdog down the road from me not Bulldog! :mrgreen:

Great you've got one anyway, and that its gone to a good home.

I've owned many a bike and the first time in the rain I was suprised that the AT didn't falter. No dodgy electrics, no missing engine, just ran and ran whatever the weather, totally reliable. My Beemer has a lot to live up to!!
Enjoy and get yourself back over to these shores for some of the meets.
made the change :)

#11 ·
If it's the engine number why would a 1999 have an older engine on it.
All engines are RD04 but the frames are RD03, RD04, RD07 and RD07A. look in the articles section for the detailed explanation. A 1999 is an RD07A, I think.

#12 ·
anton88 said:
Well done 8)

i've just picked one up as well (rdo4). I found the engine really sweet - what did you think of it ?

I was lucky with my journey home - dark clouds everywhere, but i managed to miss any rain - but it was bloomin windy :shock: on the odd occasion i was nearly riding at 45 degrees to keep in a straight line - great fun :lol: (yes i'm a bit mad).

The engine is sweet, as the V-Twins are always bullet proof.....although I'm finding the weight of the bike a struggle. Dropped it twice so far...but I'm getting better at holding it up....i think it's due to the fact that I'm only 5'9"...need to get the saddle modified.

#13 ·
Dropped it twice so far
We long ago decided that the RD in RD04, RD07 and RD07A stood for Regularly Dropped. It's why we all have crash bars and some form of bark busters fitted. You get used to it and drop it much less as time goes by, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.