Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Denmark from the forums favourite scouse person...:D:D:D
Now my son has finished his XS 400 which he wouldnt let me go near I decided I needed a project of my own..
I collected a 1970 Triumph TR6 Tiger 650 from an old German mate who is seriously ill with alcohol related problems.:(:(:(
I promised him I would work my magic on it and if he gets better he can have it back but he made me promise that if he pops his clogs which looks very likely that I would give it to my son if he helps out with the build.

19894184_1861015890581086_2095135474_n.jpg 19874060_1861015863914422_823279994_n.jpg

Since we got back the top end is off ,the engine casings have been polished up and the bike given a good old clean to remove 25 years of oil and s hite...:cool::cool::cool:
The bike was allowed to run out of oil and that resulted in the pistons and bores being Donald Ducked but I sorted that problem out last time I was in Germany.
It now needs a new seat to replace the ugly Corbin jobbie and cam followers which are ordered and should be here in Denmark next week some time.:thumbup:
My next job is to take the engine out, make an engine stand and have a look inside and see if the crank, gearbox and clutch have any damage and set about putting it right.
I hope to end up with something cool that can give my flat sided Dommie a run for its money.
My son wants to make it something like this..

61TriTR6C-R.jpg

As we already have a scrambler I am thinking of just returning it back to standard with a belt drive clutch and half race cams to give it a bit more get up and go..
My son suggested a big bore conversion but my budget isnt big enough for that..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Any other suggestions as what to do with it are welcome as long as I dont break the bank and have to start selling internal organs to finance it..:thumbup:
Watch this space....

·
Registered
942 Posts

If it was my bike i'd be looking at bikes like this for inspiration, why have standard when you could have something like that ?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
looks wise I personally would leave it exactly as is the handle bars the pipes the back wheel and the exhausts even the paint . its a 30 year old style and if I seen that bike 30 years ago I would have been well impressed with it . its a survivor in that 30 year old stock custom style . people who know would know it when they see it and people who don't know don't know in fact they don't even know that they don't know but people who do know would know that the people who don't know don't know . don't ask me how I know all this stuff because I don't know I just know that I do :thumbright: so just get it going well and fit and external filter in the return pipe and ride her nice and handy .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

If it was my bike i'd be looking at bikes like this for inspiration, why have standard when you could have something like that ?
My main concern is getting the engine sorted and my son can decide how it looks, I just pick up the tab.....:D:D:D
I need to check the head and gearbox as that could turn out to be the most expensive part of the job.
I need to fabricate an engine stand and when jnr comes back from his Italian get away we will get the engine onto my operating table and give it a look see.:thumbup:
As always Nick ,your suggestions make perfect sense but I want to do something different like I did with my Dommie coz I want mine to stand out from every other Triumph scrambler build...Its nice to have my mojo back as jnr wouldnt let me near his project, I was only allowed to give suggestions, some of which he liked.;););)
Now he has cut his teeth on his first project I will let him do the rear wheel build and design the paint scheme as his mates dad has a paint workshop ,I will just have to prep the bits for painting..
My bike has non-original forks and I dont know what they are off but they seem to be ok.
Looking forward to fitting the new seat just to see how it looks and I will have some more pictures to post some time soon.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
highly tuned highy strung if you ask me anything . people used to say a 750 vibrated more than a 650 and the 500 was the sweetest of the lot . I would look into getting the crank balanced to cut down on the vibration and sticking on a mikuni carb on there for reliability . Amal's are only fit for the bin after 20000 miles they say . low state of tune and ride them easy to make them last longer would be my policy . its 1930's technology after all .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I get what your saying Alias but the guy who I got it off let it run out of oil 25 years ago so who knows what has gone on in the bottom end so I have to take the engine out to have a butchers hook.:cool::cool::cool:.
I agree about the crank balancing but I am not sure if there are any engineering workshops that can do this type of work here in tiny old Denmark
11403162_984830138203789_8567240307706088819_n.jpg

I have rebored the cylinder out to +80 thou oversize so that means the cylinder has had its last rebore...
That tells me its a high mileage bike that has been in the hands of Americans before my mate got hold of it and we all know how clever the septic tanks are...:cheers:
My main aim is to let jnr learn as much as he can about this bike and who knows, maybe one day it will be his...;););)
I was thinking of returning it to stock because the 16x5 rear wheel dont give a lot of options for tyres and I hate it so as jnr has already had a go at a go at wheel building I think an 18 inch wheel would be a better option..
As for the seat, its a crappy Corbin that dont even fit properly and i hate it so a standard seat has been ordered and will be here next week.
My biggest head ache is I have loads of ideas in my head but a certain member of this forum from bruumy land keeps putting dafter ideas in my head and as he is working on his own Triumph 500, it would be rude of me not to listen to his suggestions and to be honest I love em, he was a big help getting my Dommie sorted..
As soon as Jnr gets back from chasing tail in Italy we will put our heads together and see what ideas we have.:thumbup:
We will post some more pictures next time I see him.
At the end of the day, its my wallet that will decide what happens to it....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
942 Posts
The orange one is a T100SC, cant find a pic of the other side of that actual bike but it would be much like this one, some had twin high level pipes this one has the siamese set up

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Nick, my photographer is back from his trip to Italy tomorrow so I will get him to bring his SLR camera and take some pictures.
I plan to keep a record of this build so i can maybe convince my mate in Germany to let me work on some of his other bikes that he has stashed away in the back of his pub...

20134634_1871518156197526_1326465008_n.jpg

This one hasnt run in 30 years and could make an interesting scrambler or flat tracker......:D:D:D
My mate sez it has an slight electrical problem, it might be a duff magneto...:rolleyes:
I believe its a Red Hunter and worth a few bob.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I think it would be even nicer to leave it stock . its a beauty just make up a set of cables and fit a set of ape hangers and Maltese cross mirrors and an open exhaust to it put on a chrome Nazi helmet and a filthy cut of denim jacket covered in chrome studs with a pentagon and 666 written on the back and turn up at the Banbury run on it and watch poor old men die from spontaneous combustion they would be angry with you :D then ride it home and put it back to stock .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it would be even nicer to leave it stock . its a beauty just make up a set of cables and fit a set of ape hangers and Maltese cross mirrors and an open exhaust to it put on a chrome Nazi helmet and a filthy cut of denim jacket covered in chrome studs with a pentagon and 666 written on the back and turn up at the Banbury run on it and watch poor old men die from spontaneous combustion they would be angry with you :D then ride it home and put it back to stock .
My son says......

20120970_1870929669589708_604732072_n.jpg

I wouldnt dream of saying something like that to anyone. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that Ariel is probably 1930's or 40's . it would be a sin to go altering it I think . just getting running and an oiley rag restoration anyone who goes messing with it needs slapping around the head several times with a breaker bar until they see the error of their ways . :toothy10: I am sure most people would agree with me there is bikes that are fair game to be customised a restoration bike that's hard to find original parts for or a bike that's there is plenty of but a lovely old girl like that should not be messed with .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that Ariel is probably 1930's or 40's . it would be a sin to go altering it I think . just getting running and an oiley rag restoration anyone who goes messing with it needs slapping around the head several times with a breaker bar until they see the error of their ways . :toothy10: I am sure most people would agree with me there is bikes that are fair game to be customised a restoration bike that's hard to find original parts for or a bike that's there is plenty of but a lovely old girl like that should not be messed with .
I wouldnt dream of doing anything to that bike mate apart from getting it going..:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
A few days cleaning an polishing makes helluva difference I reckon.:cool::cool::cool:

20206018_1873781382637870_820859370_n.jpg 20158517_1873781449304530_370796999_n.jpg 20187859_1873781429304532_847318447_n.jpg 20158204_1873781375971204_570807793_n.jpg

I will post another picture when the seat arrives in a few days time before we take the engine out to rip it apart :thumb::thumb:
I forgot to mention its matching numbers too.......:blob8::blob::blob7::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts