Honda XRV Forum banner
14K views 107 replies 9 participants last post by  scouseviking 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings from Denmark from the forums favourite scouse person...:D:D:D
Now my son has finished his XS 400 which he wouldnt let me go near I decided I needed a project of my own..
I collected a 1970 Triumph TR6 Tiger 650 from an old German mate who is seriously ill with alcohol related problems.:(:(:(
I promised him I would work my magic on it and if he gets better he can have it back but he made me promise that if he pops his clogs which looks very likely that I would give it to my son if he helps out with the build.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Fuel tank
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Since we got back the top end is off ,the engine casings have been polished up and the bike given a good old clean to remove 25 years of oil and s hite...:cool::cool::cool:
The bike was allowed to run out of oil and that resulted in the pistons and bores being Donald Ducked but I sorted that problem out last time I was in Germany.
It now needs a new seat to replace the ugly Corbin jobbie and cam followers which are ordered and should be here in Denmark next week some time.:thumbup:
My next job is to take the engine out, make an engine stand and have a look inside and see if the crank, gearbox and clutch have any damage and set about putting it right.
I hope to end up with something cool that can give my flat sided Dommie a run for its money.
My son wants to make it something like this..

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

As we already have a scrambler I am thinking of just returning it back to standard with a belt drive clutch and half race cams to give it a bit more get up and go..
My son suggested a big bore conversion but my budget isnt big enough for that..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Any other suggestions as what to do with it are welcome as long as I dont break the bank and have to start selling internal organs to finance it..:thumbup:
Watch this space....

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)

If it was my bike i'd be looking at bikes like this for inspiration, why have standard when you could have something like that ?
My main concern is getting the engine sorted and my son can decide how it looks, I just pick up the tab.....:D:D:D
I need to check the head and gearbox as that could turn out to be the most expensive part of the job.
I need to fabricate an engine stand and when jnr comes back from his Italian get away we will get the engine onto my operating table and give it a look see.:thumbup:
As always Nick ,your suggestions make perfect sense but I want to do something different like I did with my Dommie coz I want mine to stand out from every other Triumph scrambler build...Its nice to have my mojo back as jnr wouldnt let me near his project, I was only allowed to give suggestions, some of which he liked.;););)
Now he has cut his teeth on his first project I will let him do the rear wheel build and design the paint scheme as his mates dad has a paint workshop ,I will just have to prep the bits for painting..
My bike has non-original forks and I dont know what they are off but they seem to be ok.
Looking forward to fitting the new seat just to see how it looks and I will have some more pictures to post some time soon.:cheers:

#3 ·
looks wise I personally would leave it exactly as is the handle bars the pipes the back wheel and the exhausts even the paint . its a 30 year old style and if I seen that bike 30 years ago I would have been well impressed with it . its a survivor in that 30 year old stock custom style . people who know would know it when they see it and people who don't know don't know in fact they don't even know that they don't know but people who do know would know that the people who don't know don't know . don't ask me how I know all this stuff because I don't know I just know that I do :thumbright: so just get it going well and fit and external filter in the return pipe and ride her nice and handy .

#6 ·
highly tuned highy strung if you ask me anything . people used to say a 750 vibrated more than a 650 and the 500 was the sweetest of the lot . I would look into getting the crank balanced to cut down on the vibration and sticking on a mikuni carb on there for reliability . Amal's are only fit for the bin after 20000 miles they say . low state of tune and ride them easy to make them last longer would be my policy . its 1930's technology after all .

#7 · (Edited)
I get what your saying Alias but the guy who I got it off let it run out of oil 25 years ago so who knows what has gone on in the bottom end so I have to take the engine out to have a butchers hook.:cool::cool::cool:.
I agree about the crank balancing but I am not sure if there are any engineering workshops that can do this type of work here in tiny old Denmark
Food storage containers Tin Lid Cookware and bakeware Metal

I have rebored the cylinder out to +80 thou oversize so that means the cylinder has had its last rebore...
That tells me its a high mileage bike that has been in the hands of Americans before my mate got hold of it and we all know how clever the septic tanks are...:cheers:
My main aim is to let jnr learn as much as he can about this bike and who knows, maybe one day it will be his...;););)
I was thinking of returning it to stock because the 16x5 rear wheel dont give a lot of options for tyres and I hate it so as jnr has already had a go at a go at wheel building I think an 18 inch wheel would be a better option..
As for the seat, its a crappy Corbin that dont even fit properly and i hate it so a standard seat has been ordered and will be here next week.
My biggest head ache is I have loads of ideas in my head but a certain member of this forum from bruumy land keeps putting dafter ideas in my head and as he is working on his own Triumph 500, it would be rude of me not to listen to his suggestions and to be honest I love em, he was a big help getting my Dommie sorted..
As soon as Jnr gets back from chasing tail in Italy we will put our heads together and see what ideas we have.:thumbup:
We will post some more pictures next time I see him.
At the end of the day, its my wallet that will decide what happens to it....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input Nick, my photographer is back from his trip to Italy tomorrow so I will get him to bring his SLR camera and take some pictures.
I plan to keep a record of this build so i can maybe convince my mate in Germany to let me work on some of his other bikes that he has stashed away in the back of his pub...

Vehicle Floristry Plant Flower Rim

This one hasnt run in 30 years and could make an interesting scrambler or flat tracker......:D:D:D
My mate sez it has an slight electrical problem, it might be a duff magneto...:rolleyes:
I believe its a Red Hunter and worth a few bob.:thumbup:

#11 ·
I think it would be even nicer to leave it stock . its a beauty just make up a set of cables and fit a set of ape hangers and Maltese cross mirrors and an open exhaust to it put on a chrome Nazi helmet and a filthy cut of denim jacket covered in chrome studs with a pentagon and 666 written on the back and turn up at the Banbury run on it and watch poor old men die from spontaneous combustion they would be angry with you :D then ride it home and put it back to stock .

#14 ·
that Ariel is probably 1930's or 40's . it would be a sin to go altering it I think . just getting running and an oiley rag restoration anyone who goes messing with it needs slapping around the head several times with a breaker bar until they see the error of their ways . :toothy10: I am sure most people would agree with me there is bikes that are fair game to be customised a restoration bike that's hard to find original parts for or a bike that's there is plenty of but a lovely old girl like that should not be messed with .

#22 ·
I found an imperial socket set in the local buying and selling paper yesterday for ÂŁ20 and took a ride out to the coast and go and have a butchers and bought it of him...
While I was there I asked him if he had any other tools for sale and he showed me these two talky torque wrenches that he wanted ÂŁ80 a pop for...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bumper Technology Automotive exterior Auto part Electronic device
Bumper Automotive exterior

I only had ÂŁ20 fpr the socket set on me and I offered him ÂŁ80 for pair and offered to go and get the cash from a cash machine and he said he would have to think about it so we drove home chuffed with the socket. set...:thumbup:
By the time I got home he had sent me a SMS saying ok so I drove back this morning and picked em up...
I kept the 3/8" drive one and told jnr if he bought me a 3/8" to 1/2 " drive adapter he can have the other one for his toolbox...:cool::cool::cool:
The one I gave him has never been used and the one I kept has only been used the once...
Now after spending ÂŁ100 on tools we are ready to take the engine out of the Triumph...
What I need next is some storage shelves for all the bits when we strip it down and the local red cross shop has got just what I need but its a bit big to strap on my bike and too far to heavy to carry it home...
I might have to go bribe the next door neighbour with a case of beer to come and pick it up with me...;););)

#23 ·
The engine is out and on my home made engine stand just waiting for my new Allen key set to arrive from Amazon...
I will have a look through the ones I have and see if I can find one to fit....
I just went down to the local Spar to get some essential supplies (beer) and I noticed one of the nice young girls that work there was filling up the pick n mix sweet display and had loads of the 3 litre plastic boxes that the different sweets come in that were empty.
She gave me ten of em when I told her what I wanted em forso everything taken off the engine can be boxed and labelled for when I put it back together...
Jnr just dropped by with a pulling tool and a micrometer for measuring the crank journals so looks like beer break is over and I better get stuck in coz the engine aint gonna fix itself is it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#24 ·
While I am waiting for my clutch hub puller to arrive a decided to make a shopping list of things I will be needing after I split the crankcases.

Belt drive clutch conversion...............................ÂŁ234.
7 plate clutch conversion...................................ÂŁ 96.
2 half race camshafts.......................................ÂŁ145.
Set of cam bushes........................................ ...ÂŁ 25.
Full gasket set.................................................ÂŁ 50.
Electronic ignition.............................................ÂŁ 85.
Crankshaft bearings and shells...........................ÂŁ100. Not including re-grind.
ConRod bolts...................................................ÂŁ 39.
Wheel rim and spokes.......................................ÂŁ140.
New carb.........................................................ÂŁ140.
Total.............................................................=ÂŁ1049.

I budgeted about ÂŁ1000 and there will obviuosly be bits n bob like tyres and brakes so all in all i am quite happy...:D:D:D
With the way the pound is going with all this Brexit nonsense I will save around 20% on the exchange rate which is around what the vat comes to.:thumbup:

All I need now is my hub clutch puller so I can split the cases and measure up the crank and order the parts.
I have got a mate coming round on wednesday to buy my CX500 so it looks like my daily ride is going to be my Dommie scrambler which could do with a new set of tyres as they have been on the bike about 10 yrs and i want some good rubber with that Keihin flatside on the bike.:happy2::happy2::happy2:

#29 · (Edited)
While I am waiting for my clutch hub puller to arrive a decided to make a shopping list of things I will be needing after I split the crankcases.

Belt drive clutch conversion...............................ÂŁ234.
7 plate clutch conversion...................................ÂŁ 96.
2 half race camshafts.......................................ÂŁ145.
Set of cam bushes........................................ ...ÂŁ 25.
Full gasket set.................................................ÂŁ 50.
Electronic ignition.............................................ÂŁ 85.
Crankshaft bearings and shells...........................ÂŁ100. Not including re-grind.
ConRod bolts...................................................ÂŁ 39.
Wheel rim and spokes.......................................ÂŁ140.
New carb.........................................................ÂŁ140.
Total.............................................................=ÂŁ1049.

I budgeted about ÂŁ1000 and there will obviuosly be bits n bob like tyres and brakes so all in all i am quite happy...:D:D:D
Its surprising how costs can escalate when bringing an old bike back to life,
when i first got my hands on my little triumph it had already had an engine rebuild and i've seen the pictures of the engine coming apart and going back together so was fairly confident it was going to be quick and easy project,
made a new wiring loom, refitted the boyer ignition , kicked her over and went for a spin round the block,
within a couple of miles i'd learnt the clutch was absolutely useless, jumped out of third and fourth gear, would misfire and cut out, was burning a lot of oil, and generally ran like crap,
found the clutch had been assembled wrong , had worn out friction plates and three completely different clutch springs,
had to rebuild the gearbox with a couple of new gears and new cam plate,
the bore was way beyond its limit so couple of new pistons and rebore,
valve seats were so worn that i couldn't get any valve clearance,new valve seats and valves
carb was feked and was too small for my 500 , it was off a 350
so much for rebuilt engine :rolleyes: ,
sorting that lot cost many hours in the shed and a fair few quid that i hadn't bargained for ,and haven't finished yet have just ordered new pazon ignition to replace the knackered boyer and a couple of new coils,
should be ready for another test ride in a few weeks, see what other problems i can find,
it does like cool though and the bike didn't cost me anything ,
i'd put up a pic but photo bucket wants me to pay to do that now

hope your project dont give you the same hassle and wallet emptying problems , it is looking pretty good already :thumbup:

p.s. heard the new amal premiers are a big improvement over the old design :thumbup:

#25 ·
#26 ·
i am coming along for the ride on this thread scouse me old mate so I decided this is the carb we should go with well the alternative for a single carb :D :thumbright:
You are very welcome to come along for the ride mate.:thumbup:
The new Premier Amals are much better because they have titanium nuclear infused digital computer controlled slides or some other bow locks that make em last longer and come highly reccommended by fellers cleverer than us.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I dont want to get anything from America coz it costs a fortune in postage to get here, takes ages and then spends a week in customs and then I get hit with a bill for import tax and vat on top of it which makes it twice the price..:(:(:(
I am getting all my stuff from England because the pound is Donald ducked right now which means everything I buy for this project is way cheaper than this time last year...:D:D:D
When its done, I might even take the old girl back home to blighty for a bit of an adventure for me and the lad round about TT time and the NW 200,who knows, I might give you a job as a tour guide for a week and you can show us around your stomping grounds (free beer)......:happy2::happy2::happy2:

#27 ·
I don't do any stomping I am afraid I thread gently on the earth in clark's sandals I am more like mother Theresa than anything I wear sandals and I pray a lot . I could bring you along to mass on Saturday father Tom says a lovely long mass then we could go to bingo after that . I bet you cant wait . I packed in the demon drink a while back I am trying to mend my ways :thumbright:

#30 ·
My wallet is fine Nick and I dont care what it costs as the bike didnt cost me much.......:D:D:D
I will have to sell the CX 500 though because I have only got covered outdoor parking for one bike and jnr is happy with his XS 400 and his mum wont let him have a third bike in her garden.;););)
I found a yankee doodle cock up on the bike today while I was waiting for the postman to bring my clutch hub puller..
The rev counter gearbox should have 10 different component parts and the case was empty apart from the cover and the bolt that holds it onto the engine..
I know it wasnt my German mate because he has the mechanical knowledge of a brussel sprout..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The clutch is off and probably wont be going back on as I want one of these....

https://www.britishbikebits.com/alloy-belt-drive-kit-triumph-t120-bonneville-tr6-trophy#.WYCeFISGPIV

I will be getting an Amal Premier as the old one is Donald Ducked and fit for the bin.
As soon as I have checked the crank and know what size shells to order, I can order all my new bearings and stuff I can start work on putting it back together again,assuming the crank is ok.
If I sell my CX tomorrow then it looks like the scrambler will be my daily bike if the carb set up is ok until the Triumph is ready.
It starts fine but spits and pops when its off the choke so it might need a little carb fettling...:thumbup:
The of the best things about this build is that the pound is so weak and it makes all my parts 20-25% cheaper......:blob6::blob6::blob6:

#31 ·
My CX 500 got sold today for ÂŁ500 more than I paid for it so I have more than enough for the Triumph project to get sorted..:thumbup:
I suppose I better get ll my parts ordered before I find something silly to spend the money on like houshold bills or another project...:D:D:D

#32 · (Edited)
Engine cases are apart and the crank is out, measured up and new bottom end parts ordered.
It dont need a crank re-grind as the journals are ok and the sludge trap is cleaned out.
I am pretty amazed that this engine is in good shape after running out of oil.
There was some small bits of metal in the sludge in the cases.
I put it onto a bit of kitchen roll to soak away the oil and when I tested it with a magnet it came off the paper which leads me to believe it was metal particles from the cam follower and worn camshafts..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Time for a long weekend of partying Viking style at a bike meet up north and start building the engine back up when my parts arrive next week some time.

DescriptionItem PriceQtyTotal
GENUINE TRIUMPH CONROD BOLT SET E 6576 650 BONNEVILLE T120 TR6 1963 TO 73ÂŁ 38.851ÂŁ 38.85
TRIUMPH MAIN BEARING RHP MJ 1 1/8" C3 BALL pt 70-1591 UK 5T TIGER110 T120ÂŁ ; 35.061ÂŁ 35.06
TRIUMPH MAIN BEARING RHP MRJA 1 1/8" ROLLER DRIVE SIDE T120 T140 UK MADEÂŁ 56.711ÂŁ 56.71
GENUINE TRIUMPH EXHAUST CAMSHAFT 70-9989 TR6 T120 BONNEVILLE UK MADEÂŁ 72.261ÂŁ 72.26
GENUINE TRIUMPH CAMSHAFT BUSH SET TR6 T120 T140 1970 ONÂŁ 25.201ÂŁ 25.20
BSA TRIUMPH KICKSTART COTTER PIN A7 A10 B33 5T 6T TIGER100 T120 BONNEVILLEÂŁ 2.451ÂŁ 2.45
GENUINE TRIUMPH CAMSHAFT E 3134 TIGER100 T100C T120 BONNEVILLE UK MADEÂŁ 71.951ÂŁ 71.95
GENUINE TRIUMPH TACHO DRIVE BOX 71-7011 1974-82 TR7 T140 BONNEVILLEÂŁ 52.441ÂŁ 52.44
GENUINE TRIUMPH PATENT PLATE 70-4016 T100 TR6 T120 TR7 TIGER T140ÂŁ 4.581ÂŁ 4.58
TRIUMPH VALVE SPLIT COTTER X2 WE25 9A 3TA 5T T100 6T T110 T120 T140 T150 T160ÂŁ 3.001ÂŁ 3.00
TRIUMPH BSA CLUTCH SPRING NUT X 3 T100 T120 BONNEVILLE T140 A65 ROCKETÂŁ 6.621ÂŁ 6.62
TRIUMPH CLUTCH SPRING X 3 T100 TR6 T120 TR7 T140 BONNEVILLE PT 57-1830ÂŁ 4.731ÂŁ 4.73
BSA TRIUMPH CLUTCH FRICTION PLATE X 6 A50 A65 3TA 5T 6T TIGER100 T120 T140ÂŁ 30.691ÂŁ 30.69
TRIUMPH T100 T110 T120 T140 70-3586 CRANK SHAFT SHELLS STDÂŁ 17.401ÂŁ 17.40
TRIUMPH SMALL END BUSH 1938-70 5T 6T TIGER 110 T120 BONNEVILLE E-1511ÂŁ 22.881ÂŁ 22.88
GENUINE TRIUMPH GEARBOX BUSH T1370 1957-70 5T TIGER100 6T T120 BONNEVILLEÂŁ 15.921ÂŁ 15.92
[HR][/HR]
Sub Total:ÂŁ 383.95
Tax @ 20%:163; 80.32
Delivery(EU over 2kg courier tracked (3-7 days)):ÂŁ 21.20
Total:ÂŁ 481.94

I am still within budget but once I order the carb, belt drive clutch ,exhausts ,electronic ignition and re-furbish the cylinder head the budget will go out the window..
I dont mind as this will probably be my last bike build as I cant think of anything else that I want apart from another Triumph..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#34 ·
What was I thinking?:happy2::happy2::happy2:
I must have been tired after a long day splitting the engine...:D:D:D
I was net surfing last night after a few golden gargles and found myself looking at Norton Featherbed frames.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
There must be some kind of rehab for this addiction I have...;););)

#35 ·
Well chaps, the engine is totally apart and the spares I need to put the bottom end together are ordered and should arrive by courier some time next week...
I was happy to discover that the crank is ok and still on std shells considering it ran out of oil so no re-grind is required...
Thank goodness for good old fashioned British engineering, they dont make em like that anymore....;););)

#36 ·
You will be like my old mate Roger with trucks , he kept telling evryone about 15 years ago he had bought his last truck , and he was gonna retire when he got rid on this one , then he changed and got a newer one , had a plate in the window saying "yer tis last one " and that plate went in the window of the next one , he did retire about 5 years ago to Thailand , found a Thai wife and i rarely see him now

#37 ·
he did retire about 5 years ago to Thailand , found a Thai wife and i rarely see him now
Have I neglected to mention that I gave up working for a living a while ago? :D:D:D
My doctor said I wasmt right in the head and I should be dead right now according to him as my blood tests said blah! blah! blah!
He also said I should take it easy and take up gardening which I have and I am as good at growing my herbs and veggies as I am at fixing bikes.
The last thing I need is a wife, what kind of woman would put up with my kind of nonsense?
Fixing up bikes is just to pass the time in the cold dark winter months and if I get lucky I can make a few bob when I sell them on.
This Triumph is for me and is a keeper which I want my son to have and maybe his son or daughter down the line.
Maybe I should get a part time job fixing bikes so I can stop spending all my retirement money on them..:happy2::happy2::happy2:

#38 ·
My parts package has gone missing.:(:(:(
The parts bloke I used has used a company called Parcels2go and the tracking number says it was delivered on friday...
I stayed in all day waiting for it so something is going on.
It was fully insured but I dont need this hassle.:happy2::happy2::happy2:

#42 · (Edited)
My parcel showed up today...:D:D:D
I was totally freaking out and then this nice man from UPS showed up and put me out of my misery.:thumbup:
The parts guy had given me the tracking number from a different customer so I had been following someone elses package.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Design Illustration Technology Drawing Electronics

Two brand new candle shafts....:happy3::happy3::happy3:

Auto part Tool accessory Metal

To bring my stress level down I decided to remove the valve guides using a big hammer ,alot of heat from my blow torch and loads of smacking with various brass drifts and metal punches and a large ball pane hammer..

Auto part Engine Rim Wheel

Auto part Metal Engine Steel

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine

Tadaaaa! jobs a goodun.

Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Engine Vehicle

The hole in the valve guides are 6.9mm and the valve stems are 7mm so I have spent an hour with my drill reaming them to fit....Not reem like that bell end from Essex.
Now I just got to lap the valves in, put the springs back on and then go to work on the engine....
My cam bushes and bearings are spending the night in the freezer so I can fit them tomorrow.
I really enjoyed all that hammer swinging and I managed not to set fire to my living room/workshop or break any fingers...:happy2::happy2::happy2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.